advertisement

roon rock questions

oceanobsession

pfm Member
Hi folks , recently purchased a nuc i3 10th gen ssd and 16gb ram , running windows 10 with qubuz , windows is a nightmare to complicated , im considering roon rock mainly because it would seem my intel nuc is compatible with it , i would need to set up the bios for legacy , no problem , just tried flashing the operating system , no problem , downloading the codets seems fairly straitforward , you then put the ip address on another pc , in my case a lenovo 7in tablet , to operate the roon rock , no linux experience at all
how hard is this all to do , any advice please cheers phil.

Just follow the guide on the ROON Knowledge-base, it’s pretty straightforward. Assuming you understand the tech speak you wrote above you should have zero probs. Get the NUC to Boot to the ROCK OS USB installer you prep beforehand and it installs in no time, hardest thing for me was finding the ROCK download on their site :)

I recently set up a NUC with ROCK. It probably took me a couple of hours in all and, though I generally loathe anything to do with I.T. I didn't find it too bad. I don't think I'd go the Windows route unless you are using the NUC for something else as well. Too much hassle and Rock seems to run very well and look after itself.

As well as the Roon site, I followed the instructions on the Hans Beekhuyzen channel, which has a really nice guide walking through the whole process here:

I think the only thing that tripped me up was the FFMPeg codec - when you unzip the file, you have to do it twice and there's a whole bunch of other files in there and you only need to find and copy the one FFMPEG file into the folder on your NUC. Don't forget to update the bios as the first step, and while you're adjusting bios settings, you might want to adjust the fan setting to "quiet".

I don't think you'll have much trouble if you just work through the steps methodically, if you get stuck there are plenty of people here and on the Roon site that will help you out.

Good luck!

I wonder what is so complicated about Win 10? Compared to any type of freestanding op system that has to be 'flashed' to install, and then double unzipping files with gobbledygook names. Win 10 is a piece of cake by comparison. Download, let it auto update and then install Roon. That is it.

I wonder what is so complicated about Win 10? Compared to any type of freestanding op system that has to be 'flashed' to install, and then double unzipping files with gobbledygook names. Win 10 is a piece of cake by comparison. Download, let it auto update and then install Roon. That is it.
ROON ran fine on my Win 10 PC’s but I got peed off forgetting and doing a reboot/update/install and losing my tunes playing, especially a feature update that took ages, so I now run it on a NUC running ROCK, solid and stable plus less niggles than running on a QNAP NAS. I do push the DSP and upsampling though so wanted more CPU than a QNAP can offer.

Windows update you cant stop them from instaling , comes with microsoft edge , cant remove it , realtec audio has lots of settings and a graphic equaliser , the nucs fast but on qubuz high res stutters and stops , probably because its doing something in the back ground , you cant set the power saver to high performance , you cant just switch the pc on without numerous passwords , microsoft edge keeps loading when its not selected to start , i could go on all day , utter crap , windows 7 was better , phil.

Windows update you cant stop them from instaling , comes with microsoft edge , cant remove it , realtec audio has lots of settings and a graphic equaliser , the nucs fast but on qubuz high res stutters and stops , probably because its doing something in the back ground , you cant set the power saver to high performance , you cant just switch the pc on without numerous passwords , microsoft edge keeps loading when its not selected to start , i could go on all day , utter crap , windows 7 was better , phil.

You can pause Windows updates for up to 35 days though. I'm running Win10 JRiver on my NUC.

Instructions for removing/disabling Edge

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/uninstall-microsoft-edge.html

I recently set up a NUC with ROCK. It probably took me a couple of hours in all and, though I generally loathe anything to do with I.T. I didn't find it too bad. I don't think I'd go the Windows route unless you are using the NUC for something else as well. Too much hassle and Rock seems to run very well and look after itself.

As well as the Roon site, I followed the instructions on the Hans Beekhuyzen channel, which has a really nice guide walking through the whole process here:

I think the only thing that tripped me up was the FFMPeg codec - when you unzip the file, you have to do it twice and there's a whole bunch of other files in there and you only need to find and copy the one FFMPEG file into the folder on your NUC. Don't forget to update the bios as the first step, and while you're adjusting bios settings, you might want to adjust the fan setting to "quiet".

I don't think you'll have much trouble if you just work through the steps methodically, if you get stuck there are plenty of people here and on the Roon site that will help you out.

Good luck!

Hi my nuc is a 10th gen one , so legacy will be greyed out did you also have this problem , phil.

To allow legacy to be chosen you need to change a couple of settings

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032529/intel-nuc.html

Why are you seeing it?
How to fix it
Modern Standby is enabled in BIOS.

Legacy Boot isn't allowed when Modern Standby is enabled.

Change the Sleep Type Support to Legacy S3 Standby:

1. Press F2 to enter BIOS during boot.
  2. Go to the Secondary Power Settings menu:
    • Advanced > Power (in Visual BIOS1)
    • Power > Secondary Power Settings (in Aptio V BIOS1)
  3. Set Sleep Type Support to Legacy S3 Standby.
  4. Press F10 to save the changes and restart.
At the next restart after changing this setting, you'll see this message

WARNING! A change has been detected in the BIOS Sleep Type support setting, from <last sleep type> to <new sleep type>. Dynamically changing the Sleep Type support setting between Legacy S3 Standby and Modern Standby is not supported and may require reinstalling the Operating System. Would you like to continue? Enter (y) for Yes to continue, or (N) for No for reboot.

According to Microsoft, switching the power model isn't supported in Windows without a complete Windows reinstall. Changing this BIOS setting doesn't change the Windows power model.

Secure boot is enabled in BIOS.

Legacy Boot isn't allowed when Secure Boot is enabled.

Disable Secure Boot:

2. Go to the Secure Boot menu:
    • Advanced > Boot > Secure Boot (in Visual BIOS)
    • Boot > Secure Boot (in Aptio V BIOS)
  3. Disable Secure Boot.
SATA Mode is set to Optane Mode in BIOS.

Legacy Boot isn't allowed when in Optane Mode.

Change the Chipset SATA Mode:

2. Go to the SATA Mode setting:
    • Advanced > Devices > SATA > Chipset SATA Mode (in Visual BIOS)
    • Advanced > Storage > SATA Mode Selection (in Aptio V BIOS)
  3. Set SATA Mode to either RAID or ACHI:
    • RAID if you plan to implement RAID
    • AHCI if you don't plan to use RAID
Warning: The operating system might not boot if this setting is changed after the operating system has been installed.

I’m not even sure the BIOS update is needed nowadays - it’d be nice if Roon’s ROCK installation guide had BIOS numbers so a user could see if an update was needed or not. @Amber Audio’s post will get the OP started.

Mick

I’m not even sure the BIOS update is needed nowadays - it’d be nice if Roon’s ROCK installation guide had BIOS numbers so a user could see if an update was needed or not. @Amber Audio’s post will get the OP started.

Mick
I don't think the BIOS is now needed either unless you get a really old NUC BIOS version that has been sat on the the shelf for ages, not a bad idea to get it current though, only takes a couple minutes

Thanks folks for all your help and advice , apparently legacy boot is a check box to enable , bios update you can download this and extract it using windows already on the nuc
so if i do this first to update the bios to latest spec 47 , just one other thing it tells you to copy the ip address into the browser of another computer , but dont say why . all the best phil.

My roon rock has been utterly reliable since installation over 6 months ago. The pi with LMS used to present regular challenges that seemed to absorb so much time. I've got 3 Chromecast devices, usb from the rock and spdif from a digione signature all feeding in. The dsp is a bonus and very easy to use.

I also moved my aged NAS content over to an internal SSD on the the rock -
Library response is instant.

Love it.

My roon rock has been utterly reliable since installation over 6 months ago. The pi with LMS used to present regular challenges that seemed to absorb so much time. I've got 3 Chromecast devices, usb from the rock and spdif from a digione signature all feeding in. The dsp is a bonus and very easy to use.

I also moved my aged NAS content over to an internal SSD on the the rock -
Library response is instant.

Love it.

Thanks for your opinion , my main concern now is can i get it all up and running , phil.

Thanks for your opinion , my main concern now is can i get it all up and running , phil.
Have a go, if stuck ask questions, you’ll get loads of help. What NUC model number do you have?

I bought this one - NUC10i7FNH, sounds similar to what you have so I can double check settings for you if needed, happy to use PM/Email/Chat. If you can get the ROCK USB to boot and the SSD showing up you are pretty much gold.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084HBMCF5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There is also a roon users facebook community which seems to be pretty helpful and responsive - loads of people on there have been setting up their core in the same way you have. Personally I have my core running on a Windows 10 PC and haven't had any issues (Dell 3070 with Windows 10 Pro, 9th gen i5 processor, 16gb memory, 250gb SSD for Windows and Core, 6tb HDD to store the music (backed up to NAS etc.)).

Yes, in explaining all the steps we (I) likely made it sound more complicated than it is. (my NUC is an 8i5BEK) I went for an external SSD (1TB) plugged into the NUC via USB for music files and, as Moppit said, it works great - easy to add new music over the network (which it finds instantly) and it's very responsive.

Mine didn't show an IP address at the end of the ROCK installation step but it didn't seem to matter. You can get to the page Amber Audio showed via the web address on the Roon page. When you load up that page it even tells you whether you have the codec installed correctly (the blue button on the page AA showed above)

If you need the Codecs

How To Add Codecs: Step By Step
  1. Download ffmpeg - Roon will need access to the required codecs via the `/Data/Codecs/` directory. You will need to download these codecs on another computer before placing them on ROCK.
    1. For example, grab https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar.xz and uncompress it. Remember, no additional files from that package are required, only ffmpeg. You will need to uncompress the file twice.
    2. If you are using Windows and do not have the ability to uncompress .tar files, we recommend downloading the open-source program 7-Zip
  2. Connect To Roon OS - Roon OS exposes a shared network folder called `Data`. You can access this SMB share by following the instructions here here
  3. Copy Codecs to Roon OS - Place the ffmpeg file in the `Codecs` folder, which you can find in Roon OS's `Data` directory
  4. Restart Your Core - Restart Roon Server using the Roon OS web interface

advertisement

Back