advertisement

tannoy legacy series

If there is...over emphasis on a particular low frequency the Tannoy reproduces it faithfully
I've come across very few recordings that have uneven bass, i.e. an over-emphasis on a particular frequency. It's far more likely to be a speaker placement / room issue. An easy way to check is to play the same recording over headphones that are known to have a flat low frequency response, that'll tell you pretty quickly if it's the speakers/room.

Last edited:
ISOACOUSTICS footers.

Will keep repeating it.

Checked them out on Thomann.de and it is €216 to cover both speakers. Will try them shortly but not expecting night and day difference with the thick bamboo board the speakers are currently sitting on. But God loves tryer so have to reward your persistence :)

I've come across very few if any recordings that have uneven bass, i.e. an over-emphasis on a particular frequency. It's far more likely to be a speaker placement / room issue. An easy way to check is to play the same recording over headphones that are known to have a flat low frequency response, that'll tell you pretty quickly if it's the speakers/room.

An example of a track here would be Talking Heads 'Houses in Motion' from HDTracks. 24/96 but I think it is brickwalled. Also it has extra bass track in it that is not in the original release. On the 63's it gives you the impression that 63's do big deep bass but on the Cheviots the bungs have to go in. The recording is the problem. But I agree with your sentiments. Originally I felt it might be the speakers but it isn't it is either room or recording.

Last edited:
Checked them out on Thomann.de and it is €216 to cover both speakers. Will try them shortly but not expecting night and day difference with the thick bamboo board the speakers are currently sitting on. But God loves tryer so have to reward your persistence :)

I would take some time to check with the dealer as to the best installation. Perhaps remove the bamboo, I dont' know. Also make sure you get the one that's no more than 90% of it's max listed payload, or go up to the next model.

I would make sure before trying, you get ahold of someone who really knows how to implement (perhaps consider calling the company, they're here in Canada, and nice to talk to) and tell them the whole listening room situation, the speakers (have weight on hand), and then see what they recommend.

I would be VERY interested to hear your results. Thanks.

I’m tempted to toe mine in even more, right now they are crossed a foot either side of the sweet spot.

I would take some time to check with the dealer as to the best installation. Perhaps remove the bamboo, I dont' know. Also make sure you get the one that's no more than 90% of it's max listed payload, or go up to the next model.

I would make sure before trying, you get ahold of someone who really knows how to implement (perhaps consider calling the company, they're here in Canada, and nice to talk to) and tell them the whole listening room situation, the speakers (have weight on hand), and then see what they recommend.

I would be VERY interested to hear your results. Thanks.

Thanks, Don't think I will be losing the bamboo board. I want them raised off the carpet. This would be the pucks I would choose https://www.thomann.de/ie/isoacoustics_iso_puck_set.htm#bewertung
They fit your criteria re weight etc. I would just replace the screwed in footers supplied by Tannoy. I was messing about on a local forum about the chopping boards I bought. A member posted this link about Ikea bamboo boards :) http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

Problem with this stuff is you can spend the earth. People recommend the Townsend podiums. Some of the prices are eye watering. In the Isoacoustics case Thomann are a pro site. My gut feeling is they just might work as they are being sold to musicians! Also the price isn't mouth watering.

I need lockdown to end so I can get a few critical friends over. These guys will be only too happy to tell me they sound terrible!

I’m tempted to toe mine in even more, right now they are crossed a foot either side of the sweet spot.

I think you should just keep experimenting. In your case maybe turning them is a bit more hassle but on castors I can adjust at will.

Thanks, Don't think I will be losing the bamboo board. I want them raised off the carpet. This would be the pucks I would choose https://www.thomann.de/ie/isoacoustics_iso_puck_set.htm#bewertung
They fit your criteria re weight etc. I would just replace the screwed in footers supplied by Tannoy. I was messing about on a local forum about the chopping boards I bought. A member posted this link about Ikea bamboo boards :) http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

Problem with this stuff is you can spend the earth. People recommend the Townsend podiums. Some of the prices are eye watering. In the Isoacoustics case Thomann are a pro site. My gut feeling is they just might work as they are being sold to musicians! Also the price isn't mouth watering.

I need lockdown to end so I can get a few critical friends over. These guys will be only too happy to tell me they sound terrible!

Again, check with the dealer. they make specific elements to deal with carpet. You may be unnecessarily adding an element by keeping a board above carpet, or whatever the case. Just check first and have it installed as designed.

I think you should just keep experimenting. In your case maybe turning them is a bit more hassle but on castors I can adjust at will.

I’m able to move the whole thing myself now that they were moved from the initial position they were in for 12 years. I think the stands sunk into the cork a bit over the years.

It’s funny, I recall a shop back in the early 80’s had a pair of Mission 770’s setup in an extreme cross setup. I’ll give it a go later tonight.

Again, check with the dealer. they make specific elements to deal with carpet. You may be unnecessarily adding an element by keeping a board above carpet, or whatever the case. Just check first and have it installed as designed.

Which version did you buy? Hifinutt I think has them also. The ones I linked seem the obvious options unless one is leaping to the Gaia version which costs lots! Like others I will be holding off until I can sneak something as important as that into the system :(

yes mine are on stands , think you might need higher version under heavier models . these take 9kg per puck

P1060718 by , on Flickr
The IsoAcoustic OREA pucks work best when loaded in the middle of their rated range, I assume the same applies to the IsoPucks that hifinutt uses.
The largest OREA Bordeaux appears to have a more tolerant operating range than the smaller Indigo and Bronze so optimising the loading isn't quite as critical (graph here).

If the Cheviots or Ardens are too heavy for a set of 4 IsoPucks there's nothing to stop you using 5 or 6. Likewise if you baulk at the price of a set of 4 Bordeaux then, assuming the Cheviots don't weigh more than 43.5kg, you could get away with 3 pucks instead of 4.

I was using Bordeaux under my Dittons until a few weeks ago and was floored by the improvement in clarity and soundstaging. However, since deciding to tilt my speakers backwards, I haven't figured out a safe way to reintroduce the pucks...

Ardens can float too :)

9254190-E-3382-4-F04-9-B32-D97-D07715-B2-B.jpg

7-CE55-B05-F57-C-47-A1-8-D9-B-DD4-C3223-C7-A9.jpg

Side view.......

F13867-CF-B252-4805-9-EDD-EDB6-B8-B95623.jpg

I see. Next question; what's the loudspeaker in your profile pic? I seem to remember some german pro-audio brand that coaxially mounts midranges in front of drivers but can't remember.....

Anyway.

RE: ISO under CHEVIOTS; do not use Oreas. Use GAIA's. That's the real beef.

I see. Next question; what's the loudspeaker in your profile pic? I seem to remember some german pro-audio brand that coaxially mounts midranges in front of drivers but can't remember.....

Anyway.

RE: ISO under CHEVIOTS; do not use Oreas. Use GAIA's. That's the real beef.
Well remembered, yes German, Geithain RL901K actives, I’m smitten.

I tried a few granite slabs on top of the Cheviots. I might be dreaming but it seems to tightened things up. Will have to do a bit of testing but a nice cheap option.
Has anybody else tried this type of stupidity?? I could go even cheaper and lob a few 4 inch concrete blocks and see if the walnut veneer is up to a bit of rough stuff.

:DI knew @yuckyamson would be in with Gaia's!

@hifinutt You are using the footers just as I would. i.e. under the speakers but on the stands or plinth which is raising the speakers from the floor.

How far from the rear wall are yours? Tannoy blurb says they come with rubber feet to isolate them?

Seriously thinking of getting a pair.
thanks , mine are very close due to the room and my dear wife ! About 30 cms and they sound so good They don't come with rubber things with the Eaton, that's why I use isopucks which Cost about 88 per speaker

advertisement

Back