advertisement

UK ‘rejected offer’ of visa-free tours by musicians in EU

It is going to hurt a lot of people I know. The political right never understand art. They don’t even grasp how much GDP it generates.

It is going to hurt a lot of people I know. The political right never understand art. They don’t even grasp how much GDP it generates.
Lets have a laugh.
Get Priti Patel to give us an understandable answer that is remotely intelligent.

It is always the way with tories, they sit at the cabinet table and decide what is best for the majority and then legislate the complete opposite.

Don’t want any of that rubbish foreign culture over here! Everyone will be wearing lederhosen before we know it!

Lets have a laugh.
Get Priti Patel to give us an understandable answer that is remotely intelligent.

Do you think she cares ? It should be equally difficult for all musicians. Brexit means Brexit :rolleyes:
A tourist visa to India costs £110: she won't be satisfied until to/from EU is the same.

So the EU now treats UK artists the same as everyone else and the UK treats EU artists the same as everyone else.

Isn't this what people voted for?

So we can add philistinism and cruelty to all of the other needless stupidities of brexit.

Keep those brexit positives coming brexit fans.

So the EU now treats UK artists the same as everyone else and the UK treats EU artists the same as everyone else.

Isn't this what people voted for?

Sadly yes. We don't want them furriners coming in.

Tarring everyone who voted to leave the EU with the same brush is pretty much the same as those who tarred all furriners with the same brush. Equally ignorant, and divisive.

Tarring everyone who voted to leave the EU with the same brush is pretty much the same as those who tarred all furriners with the same brush. Equally ignorant, and divisive.
What’s your take on this decision, then? Only it seems to me that it’s a visible signal from government to population, that they mean business on immigration control.

Yeah, we've been here before. We also know keeping the furriners out was a key driver in Brexit. Your suggestion that pointing this out is akin to tarring all Brexit voters with the same brush has been rejected as a cop out before. I'm rejecting it now. Not every Brexit voter is a racist, but every racist voted Brexit.

You got what you wanted. Own it. All of it.

We’ll be having none of that Beethoven, Mozart and Kraftwerk nonsense in Little England (though Nigel does like marching to Wagner in his Clandestine Channel Commander uniform)!

Friction at borders to the extent that for some, the export trade is not sustainable.
Price hikes for UK consumers as EU exports costs rise.
Billions of pounds leaving the City.
No agreement covering services despite it being by far the most important sector to the UK and will invite EU cherry picking of UK service providers.
De-regulation and worsening of standards and protections underway - despite the implications for dealing with our largest market.
UK Fishermen sold down the, err, river.

It's beginning to look a lot like Project Fear and quite quickly too.

Nicely summed-up:

The revelation that the Tories turned down a visa-free deal for musicians in the Brexit negotiations because they didn't want to offer the same to EU musicians touring here makes me incandescent with rage. To come out of a pandemic - if we ever do - to this is literally beyond belief.

I'm not even angry for myself: I am 63 and have toured Europe countless times since the borders opened in 1992. Been there, done that and quite literally got the T shirt. I can retire if I choose. I'm angry for the people half my age - and ashamed that the votes of the majority (NO, NOT ALL!) of my generation, here and in the EU, will deny them the wonderful opportunities and memories I have had.

My first reaction was to post on here unilaterally declaring that I don't want anyone who voted Tory or for Brexit, for whatever reasons, Lexit or otherwise, to have anything to do with me any more, to leave my social media pages and cast me out of their lives. But that would be as wrong as this government. Somehow we have to build bridges and live in the same country. I'm not sure how at the moment, but we do.

But it really does seem that the entire Brexit strategy is based on policies approved after a survey of the Tory Party membership.

About 160,000 old, bigoted, culture-hating, complacent, pinched-faced caricatures from a satirical novel, simultaneously snobbish and as thick as two short planks.

Attila The Stockbroker (Facebook).

Completely against my will, my musical life and the musical lives of the numerous similar musicians I know who have regularly toured in Europe for years are looking very uncertain. And they stand to be made much harder or perhaps impossible as a result of the government of bonkers Brexit bastards that brexiteers’ votes put in place.

I’m not sure how exactly to get from there to any ideas of conciliation, or refraining from tarring all brexit voters with the same brush or anything like that. It feels much more like if you voted for Brexit, you own this shit.

I really can't see any real hassle - so, a visa is needed, as for the entire rest of the world. Why should musicians be exempt from what far more people with far more economically important jobs have to go through? The holiday industry will be worth FAR more than anything associated with musicians trotting backwards and forwards across the Channel - maybe we should exempt all holiday-makers for visa requirements?

I don't recall anything being mentioned about work permits. How do EU/UK citzens stand in that regard?

advertisement

Back