advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

That may well be possible but it’s not really ethical is it?

The RME ADI2 is available from pro audio dealers who are well used to the concept of extended trials, if you decide to include that one on your candidate list. It offeres a lot of extra functionality, beyond that of the usual suspects, as well as excellent sonic ability.

Last edited:
Dear Nostromo: Please don't allow one person's subjective observations and possibly flawed comparisons influence you overly. But if you don't like the MDAC (I do, and most of my audio life has been with vinyl) then you may well not like the Soncoz in that it is based on an ESS chip like the MDAC.

Yes, of course. But even so, your comment as an audiophile has worth (to me for sure). It's against the consensus here (and I like that). These new generation DACs are supposed to be in another league if the reviews/figures are to be believed. I guess I need to listen for myself. The chip 'house' sound observation is a good one too. I recall JW saying that he'd taken the new ESS chips are far as he could and didn't think it was a good enough improvement to satisfy us here or that the sound could be bettered from an R2R design. JW also prefers the 'analogue' sound, I think (hope!), he has good ears.

On the other hand, maybe, just maybe, the FDAC will come around the corner very soon and my cash reserves may be used up on another DAC. It's a quandary I'm quietly struggling with.

Oh my Gosh! Struggle with your quandary no more!

Buy another Dac!

You've got more chance of seeing five Albino's driving around in a Subaru Impreza, one of the Albino's worshiped under the Eiffel Tower as a god, by 500 Chinese kids with bleached hair, than seeing the FDAC!

I recall JW saying that he'd taken the new ESS chips are far as he could and didn't think it was a good enough improvement to satisfy us here or that the sound could be bettered from an R2R design. JW also prefers the 'analogue' sound, I think (hope!), he has good ears.
John has also said that AKM sound better than ESS but still not as good as a discreate DAC, but then we have moved up considerably in price point.

• John has also said that AKM sound better than ESS but still not as good as a discreate DAC, but then we have moved up considerably in price point.
    And you would take the word for a proven fantasist (the politest term I can think of) for this .....

I think the akm 4499 sounds better than the ess 9038 pro, at least in the dacs I've heard. (Think). I couldn't rule out bias though.

<moderating>

Any chance people can take general DAC discussion, chip types etc over onto a fresh thread. I’d really like this one to remain tightly focused on the stakeholders and project progress.

There was chat on FB from John W up to 31st December but I’m unable to paste from there with my iPhone

This is the text of the last post on FB page on 31.12.2020 - 22:13:

"Best Wishes for the New Year, and looking forward to shipping First DAC's in the coming months :)"

There is also a longer and more informative post on 19.11.2020, I can copy the text here if this is allowed.

Cheers

Just so you are aware, I posted comments from his Facebook page on to here a few years ago and was immediately banned from the Facebook group.

Hi killie99

Thank you for advising me.

I was not considering that on FB the group is closed (simply I forgot it, I joined 2 years ago) so copying text out of the group could be considered controversial.

So I hope that John himself will report also here the updates, after all here is where all began.

Sorry but in the future I will avoid copying text without explicit permission, and I apologize if such behavior has caused disturbance.

Cheers

So best wishes for 2021 are only for FB group and access to that is restricted.
Is shipping of DACs "in coming months" only for FB goups, also?

Well it won't happen anyway.

qONqpLQl.jpg

advertisement

Back