advertisement

Naim Nait 3 & Bose 301

Never knew that, thanks a good deal!
You need to know this, it's very important. Naim amps are not "unconditionally stable" which means that they can oscillate under certain cable and speaker loads. The 4m cable length creates a "Thiele network" which renders the amplifier stable . Other amplifiers have this in the box, so you can use any cables you want, but not Naim. Not all cable types are suitable for Naim amps.

You need to know this, it's very important. Naim amps are not "unconditionally stable" which means that they can oscillate under certain cable and speaker loads. The 4m cable length creates a "Thiele network" which renders the amplifier stable . Other amplifiers have this in the box, so you can use any cables you want, but not Naim. Not all cable types are suitable for Naim amps.
Thanks Steve, I have Van den Hul CS-122 Hybrid, but certainly not 4m on each side.

Any suggestions on cables for NN3?

Witchhat N2 would be my first choice, fairly cheap new, and a fair bit for sale second hand as folks upgrade to WH Phantom. Failing that, Linn K20 or Naim NACA4, i personally would not bother with NACA5, unless you enjoy trying to wrestle unwieldy curtain track behind your rack!

I think the real cheapskate option is qed 79 strand or similar, I think this has the right electrical characteristics and you can get it everywhere, 2 x 4m lengths will cost very little. The construction is very similar to k20 and A4 so unsurprisingly the electrical characteristics are similar too.

The old school Bose speakers like the 301 and the mad as a box of frogs 901 were only marginally 'hi-fi', but were actually very pleasant to listen to.

I've never been a fan of the Nait, but as post #7 suggests, it might work quite well with the 301.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As said above, the cheap option is Linn LK20 or Naim NACA4. Both these are identical and are originally a low voltage lighting cable made by BICC. The key is to get a cable with the right inductance and capacitance. Litz type cables are a total no-no.
I think the real cheapskate option is qed 79 strand or similar, I think this has the right electrical characteristics and you can get it everywhere, 2 x 4m lengths will cost very little. The construction is very similar to k20 and A4 so unsurprisingly the electrical characteristics are similar too.
Seems I can get as good as new Linn LK20 2 x 3.5 meters, would that be ok you think?
What is BICC?

I think BICC is the company that made both K20 for Linn and NACA4 for Naim. IIRC they were the same thing (maybe different color jacketing and markings?) back then.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think BICC is the company that made both K20 for Linn and NACA4 for Naim. IIRC they were the same thing (maybe different color jacketing and markings?) back then.
Correct. BICC are/were a cable manufacturer, British International Cable Company (I think) who manufactured amongst other things a low voltage lighting cable used by the mile by the military when they needed, erm, low voltage lighting. When the Linn and Naim engineers went looking for a suitable cable, there it was. Low cost, electrically suitable. They ordered it, printed with Linn or Naim, and Bicc were of course happy to sell them as much as they wanted to buy. Of course you have to pay the extra for the printed version, because it sounds better. Obviously nobody in their right mind would wire up a precision hifi system with some cheap cable that the military buy on a 1000 metre reel for a few pounds.

Edit - British Insulated Callender's Cables, I have found out.

advertisement

Back