advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when it was four to the pound until that KGB sleeper Harold Wilson got his hands on it.

Almost - it was 4 to the pound until 1949 then 2.8 until 1967 when, as you say Harold Wilson told us that the pound in your pocket had not been devalued despite a 14% devaluation to 2.4 dollars to the pound.

He lied.

Though you could get 2.6 Dollars for your pound the year before we joined the EEC.

Strange thing money markets and which dates you cherry pick.
You cherry picked March 2020 for some reason.
Sterling drop in the mid 70s was more to do with the first oil shock, I would have thought. It was back at 2.45 by 1981, so the EEC couldn't have hurt too badly.

Maybe EV can help out. I recall his expertise displayed in a post some time ago, enthusing about ‘block chain’ and other as yet unknown technologies making a customs border physically invisible to all humans and goods crossing it. That was to make the north south border go away so why can it not make the Irish Sea border go away? Is block chain not water proof yet?
Blame Juncker. Or that unpleasant Verhofstad fellow. Or Macron. It's their fault, anyway.

Have you a clue about any of the stuff you come out with?

Oh, come now, Mr ff1d1l!

Maybe EV can help out. I recall his expertise displayed in a post some time ago, enthusing about ‘block chain’ and other as yet unknown technologies making a customs border physically invisible to all humans and goods crossing it. That was to make the north south border go away so why can it not make the Irish Sea border go away? Is block chain not water proof yet?

The EU turned the tech option down flat. It wasn't looking for a solution.

Blame Juncker. Or that unpleasant Verhofstad fellow. Or Macron. It's their fault, anyway.

Don't forget the lying bastard Heath, and that self-righteous twat John Major.

Sterling drop in the mid 70s was more to do with the first oil shock, I would have thought. It was back at 2.45 by 1981, so the EEC couldn't have hurt too badly.

The country was in the midst of a nasty recession in 1981, so it might speak more of a sometimes inexplicable unlink between the 'state of things' and the exchange rate.

Almost - it was 4 to the pound until 1949 then 2.8 until 1967 when, as you say Harold Wilson told us that the pound in your pocket had not been devalued despite a 14% devaluation to 2.4 dollars to the pound.

He lied.

yeah ! That was when the American Fed pulled the support for the pound. Interesting stuff in The shortest History of England https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1910400696/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Nothing to do with Wilson, if Hawes is right.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Brexit trade deal: Nine claims by Boris Johnson or his ministers that are untrue

During the 2016 referendum campaign he famously (and falsely) said the UK paid £350 million (€390 million) per week to the EU — a claim plastered on a campaign bus.
Upon becoming prime minister he promised the UK would leave the EU at the end of October 2019, "no ifs or buts". He was forced to seek a delay to the UK's exit, which finally happened in January 2020.
During the 2019 general election campaign he said he had a trade deal with the EU "ready to go". The bitter tussle in the negotiations throughout 2020 showed the hard-won accord was anything but — although his supporters insist his references to an "oven-ready" deal referred to the preceding divorce agreement.
More recently, Johnson and his ministers have continued to make questionable assertions about Brexit, particularly relating to the agreement on EU-UK trade and future relations struck on Christmas Eve.
Here Euronews holds a selection of them up to the light.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/05...oris-johnson-or-his-ministers-that-are-untrue

Britain’s only three years behind America. We have the same political forces and the same extremists in government.

Oh, come now, Mr ff1d1l!

The EU turned the tech option down flat. It wasn't looking for a solution.

Don't forget the lying bastard Heath, and that self-righteous twat John Major.
Can you name at least one leader of your party you approved of? There’s something about your history of disavowals here that never rang true for me.

How did Brexit affect GBP to USD?
The British Pound fell 13% against the US Dollar in the two weeks following the Brexit referendum. The Pound fell in value as Brexit created uncertainty for trade, emigration and the legal system going forward.

How did Coronavirus impact GBP to USD?
The GBP to USD exchange rate fell 12% within the space of two weeks in March 2020. Investors sold the Pound in favour of the perceived safety of the US Dollar.

So there is more to life than just Brexit ?

And more to history than just the 23 June 2016. Or the Brexit pound as it was called for the former.

How did Brexit affect GBP to USD?
The British Pound fell 13% against the US Dollar in the two weeks following the Brexit referendum. The Pound fell in value as Brexit created uncertainty for trade, emigration and the legal system going forward.

How did Coronavirus impact GBP to USD?
The GBP to USD exchange rate fell 12% within the space of two weeks in March 2020. Investors sold the Pound in favour of the perceived safety of the US Dollar.

So there is more to life than just Brexit ?

And more to history than just the 23 June 2016.
Yes, fluoridation of the water supply

I guess you are not an IT guy and don’t grasp just how comically improbable these ideas for policing a 310 mile border actually were!

PS The EU will have actual IT resources.

I'm a businessman who imports goods from Europe, and aware of the part that even old tech has played in cross-border shipments for years, including the NI border, an actual yet invisible international border which crosses two entirely distinct tax jurisdictions.

Can you name at least one leader of your party who you approved of? There’s something about your history of disavowals here that never rang true for me.

Where did you pluck that apparently random question from?

I'm afraid that there's nothing I can do to help you with things that don't ring true for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back