advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The value of £Sterling V €Euro has remained low, more than I had hoped.
All through negotiations it was circa 1.15 to the £
It has been 1.10 - high 1.12 despite the deal.
Shows the level of confidence in the £
This will inevitably lead to price increase.
I as a business cannot keep absorbing this, plus the extra costs of importing (significant) plus all the extra stock required to keep clients supplied.
So this is having our cake and eating it - and friction free trade.
The word liar, spelt large, is nowhere near a good enough description.
What a farce.

Funny,

I do exactly the same with the Daily Express.
The news that they come up with are absolutely out of this world and make me laugh everytime.
Its just a little newspaper creating non-factual news to instigate anti-EU hatred in gullible hardline Brexiteers.

You're inspiring me to look at the Express to judge some of these non-facts for myself.

Shows the level of confidence in the £

The pound dropped 12 % against the Dollar in March. As did the Euro.

I blame Covid Brexit.

Though the money markets say it was due to lockdown, and that the Dollar being the dominant world currency, provided a safer haven than sterling.

plus the extra costs of importing

Yes the cost of shipping containers has risen 10 fold, as there is a world shortage, due to tens of thousands of them shipping PPE from China throughout the world.

I still blame Covid Brexit.

On the plus side, I've just been to Costco and there were no food shortages. Collected my mothers prescription, no shortages.
I've just ordered something which I paid for in Dollars as the exchange rate is fair, though I suspect it will slide again, see above.

Good news for anyone wanting a Brooks saddle according to the UK distributors.
https://www.bikebiz.com/extra-uk-distribution-of-brooks-saddles-unaffected-by-brexit/
Brooks-saddles-660x330.png

Yes the cost of shipping containers has risen 10 fold, there is a world shortage, due to tens of thousands of them shipping PPE from China throughout the world.
Thats one thing, but I do not use containers.
Plenty I know do, and their deliveries are spread throughout Europe thanks to various things - all were due for delivery before end of December.
Deep water port for the big container ships are at capacity, so other ports (Rotterdam etc) are being used as staging posts, and from there imported on smaller boats to where they can be accepted.

I am now being charged for the actual paperwork, import and deferment by our designated import agent / haulier.
We did try to do this ourselves (as I posted previously) but, being polite, it is not worth the heart attack.

No idea what the time delay is going to be, very little news available about it - I wonder why.
I know the giant duckpond is still months away from being fully ready.
Hopefully the stock I do have will last.

The pound dropped 12 % against the Dollar in March. As did the Euro.

I blame Covid Brexit.

Though the money markets say it was due to lockdown, and that the Dollar being the dominant world currency, provided a safer haven than sterling.

Yes the cost of shipping containers has risen 10 fold, as there is a world shortage, due to tens of thousands of them shipping PPE from China throughout the world.

I still blame Covid Brexit.

On the plus side, I've just been to Costco and there were no food shortages. Collected my mothers prescription, no shortages.
I've just ordered something which I paid for in Dollars as the exchange rate is fair, though I suspect it will slide again, see above.
The euro declined very gradually vs. the dollar from a peak at 1.24 in late Jan 2018 to a low of 1.08 around the middle of Feb 2020. To ascribe any of this to Covid is obviously nonsense. After a brief period of turbulence in March 2020, when Covid hit Europe hard and it seemed as if the US might escape the worst, there was a brief dip to 1.07, after which the euro has risen steadily and continuously back to 1.20-1.23. To ascribe any of this rise to Covid would also be a massive stretch.

Sterling has been primarily influenced by what is happening to the major reserve currencies (dollar and euro) and by the ups and downs of Brexit negotiations. Signs of a harder Brexit = sterling down, signs of a softer Brexit = sterling up. As the final deal is a bit rubbish, sterling improved a few cents (vs. residual fears of no-deal) but is still down massively versus the euro (from a peak of 1.40 when the rigmarole started to 1.10 now). Nothing to do with Covid.

The euro declined very gradually vs. the dollar from a peak at 1.24 in late Jan 2018 to a low of 1.08 around the middle of Feb 2020. To ascribe any of this to Covid is obviously nonsense. After a brief period of turbulence in March 2020, when Covid hit Europe hard and it seemed as if the US might escape the worst, there was a brief dip to 1.07, after which the euro has risen steadily and continuously back to 1.20-1.23. To ascribe any of this rise to Covid would also be a massive stretch.

Sterling has been primarily influenced by what is happening to the major reserve currencies (dollar and euro) and by the ups and downs of Brexit negotiations. Signs of a harder Brexit = sterling down, signs of a softer Brexit = sterling up. As the final deal is a bit rubbish, sterling improved a few cents (vs. residual fears of no-deal) but is still down massively versus the euro (from a peak of 1.40 when the rigmarole started to 1.10 now). Nothing to do with Covid.

I wonder what our Brexiteer friends think the effect on the currencies will be as it dawns on people that Johnson chose to agree a FTA with the EU that covers trade in goods and guaranteeing them future access - where the EU runs a substantial surplus with the UK. Meanwhile, no mention of Services - where the UK runs a substantial surplus with the EU but has now lost automatic access rights to EU markets. That such a move has largely escaped serious scutiny may be shocking but is possible because of COVID.

Several EU national governments can't believe their luck. They are now in position to pick off bits of UK Financial Services and other service industries at will. Taking back control? What a joke and no extra mackerel either.

Though you could get 2.6 Dollars for your pound the year before we joined the EEC.

Strange thing money markets and which dates you cherry pick.

Hmm, it seems that following Johnson's instructions and 'tearing up the paperwork' is not actually working

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...g-food-supply-disruption-over-brexit-mps-told
Maybe EV can help out. I recall his expertise displayed in a post some time ago, enthusing about ‘block chain’ and other as yet unknown technologies making a customs border physically invisible to all humans and goods crossing it. That was to make the north south border go away so why can it not make the Irish Sea border go away? Is block chain not water proof yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back