advertisement

Vaccine recipients....

Congratulations - and hurray for modern science.

My arm aches pretty badly for several days after a tetanus booster, but a sore arm is leagues better than weeks in the ICU.

Last time i asked about a tetanus booster they said i'd had enough now to cover me for life. We're in a very high risk area near Colchester.

Last time i asked about a tetanus booster they said i'd had enough now to cover me for life. We're in a very high risk area near Colchester.

Hi Dweezil. High risk for tetanus, or Covid? I only ask because I’m 20 minutes south west of Colchester, and there doesn’t seem to be much vaccine action around here yet, although I know an alarming number of people who currently have or have had Covid.

Sounds like it's working - no reaction would be worrying.

Though we have had a vaccine against the flu since the 1940's, yet more than 20,000 died in the UK from the flu in 1999.
The population has grown by 8 million since then.

Though we have had a vaccine against the flu since the 1940's, yet more than 20,000 died in the UK from the flu in 1999.
As you may know, if you’ve been paying attention, there are usually several likely strains of flu in circulation each year. The vaccine is tailored to a best guess as to which strain will predominate. If the guess turns out to be wrong, or another strain is also around in significant amounts, then the vaccine won’t necessarily help. Also, what proportion of the vaccinated in 1999 died? If the 20,000 were not vaccinated, that’s a very different case to if they were.

Pain at the injection site is a sign that the immune system is making antibodies in response to the virus in the vaccine. So fingers crossed.

Pain at the injection site is a sign that the immune system is making antibodies in response to the virus in the vaccine. So fingers crossed.

is one of the signs

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6760227/

I have had loads and loads of vaccinations from when i travelled - the only two that produced prolonged pain at the injection site - are flu and yellow fever. Rabies produced no pain but alot of localised swelling.

The flu vaccine isn't a fair comparison because it has to be prepared in advance of the actual outbreak, so they're guessing to some extent. With covid we're in the middle of the outbreak so they've got more than enough of the virus to work from. We're 9 months into this thing don't forget.

Also both new vaccines use a new technique that doesn't rely on giving someone a deactivated version of the virus. Instead the vaccine makes your own cells produce a small outer piece of the virus that your immune system then has time to identify as foreign and destroy it. Then when the real virus arrives you're already geared up.

As you may know, if you’ve been paying attention, there are usually several likely strains of flu in circulation each year. The vaccine is tailored to a best guess as to which strain will predominate.

So which of the strains of Covid currently in circulation are the vaccines targeted against ?

Just saying. (for Dec.)

So which of the current strains of Covid currently in circulation are the vaccines targeted against ?

Just saying. (for Dec.)

All?

My limited understanding from my colleagues, is that CV19 variations are small variations, small changes, so the vaccine should work with all (for the moment). With flu there are significant differences to the type and strains in annual circulation, hence the need to reformulate the flu vaccine annually. Maybe CV19 will become like that? Who knows, i think we need more cycles of vaccination to determine that.

The_cow_pock.jpg

They're hiding the side effects don't get the vaccine.

advertisement

Back