advertisement

tannoy legacy series

Here’s a new picture after repositioning the speakers. I used a mirror on the floor to identify where the reflection point is. The cushions on the floor indicate that location.

HuxarNp.jpg
Time to get a rug. ;)

Could I not use a couple large scatter cushions? A rug is not gonna happen.

They should produce some improvement. The problem is that they won’t absorb the upper-mids and treble evenly and this will make the response somewhat less even at the listening spot. I think that Tannoys have a narrow-ish directivity in that range so it might turn out that it’s fine

I attribute some of it to a change in DAC (both R2R but I think the previous one was that bit more rolled-off and/or the current one is better suited to the rest of the system) but I also think in hindsight that there were times that I was more on-axis than I realised. Given the overall width of the speaker (and using them with grills on) where the centre of the speaker is actually pointed is not always as obvious as it might appear.

What Dacs are they?

Another week of breaking in and I have to eat my hat again! Cheviots work when close to a back wall. Tried them out this way earlier in the week and while it is not as dynamic as when they are out in the room it is more than acceptable I would guess for most people once toed in.

I have now moved the adjustments screws to level on both treble roll off and energy and even listen mainly with both bungs out. I use all my GIK acoustic panels now in the corners in front of the speakers. Putting them behind the speakers doesn't appear to change anything.

Like many more before me I find that I am starting to really enjoy these speakers. Listening sessions drag on and on. Details, soundstage and body are all I hoped for. Some of the earlier concerns about out of control bass have given way to big smiles at the quality of the bass and low frequencies in general. The tweeter delivers excellent levels of detail. These speakers will not be as crystal clear as Kharma's or other expensive multi driver alternatives but they have a wonderful tone and solid details coupled with that huge soundstage that just keeps me putting on more and more tracks.

I see a few people have churned these speakers fairly quickly which is surprising. Wonder did they just not give them enough time to break in or play with positioning.

Anyway highly recommended. Will put some time into comparing and contrasting them with my 63's over the next while. Probably be locked down for the next 3 months so might as well have a bit of a project.

Not sure how to post a picture but if somebody can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Reading a few posts on here and I can suggest that as with @JTC i also find my tannoy legacy to have a darkness in the lower treble / upper midband. It lends them a slightly (shut in) feeling. As JTC knows, my room is sufficiently lively not to be the issue and I listen significantly closer than he does, yet the issue persists.

I have my eatons on higher stands so that woofer is almost ear level, and I toe them in so that I’m staring down their throats as it were, they’re bang on axis. Less toe in made it worse.

I run treble energy +1.5 as I find +3 sounds unbalanced and creates a rather thin feeling to the sound.

pulling them out plenty I’ve found I can tolerate the balance which seems inherent to modern tannoys (I used to own turnberry SE and suffered the same issue).

my feeling is that the only way to improve this is to use them in massively free space in an otherwise oversized room.

I like them and they make most things sound good, but they won’t be my forever speaker.

Addition: it clearly seems to be mostly an issue about upper bass clouding the lower treble response. Play music without bass and they sound ideal. The second you bring some bass into the mix, it muddies the works a little.

positioning and bungs may assist

Reading a few posts on here and I can suggest that as with @JTC i also find my tannoy legacy to have a darkness in the lower treble / upper midband. It lends them a slightly (shut in) feeling. As JTC knows, my room is sufficiently lively not to be the issue and I listen significantly closer than he does, yet the issue persists.

I have my eatons on higher stands so that woofer is almost ear level, and I toe them in so that I’m staring down their throats as it were, they’re bang on axis. Less toe in made it worse.

I run treble energy +1.5 as I find +3 sounds unbalanced and creates a rather thin feeling to the sound.

pulling them out plenty I’ve found I can tolerate the balance which seems inherent to modern tannoys (I used to own turnberry SE and suffered the same issue).

my feeling is that the only way to improve this is to use them in massively free space in an otherwise oversized room.

I like them and they make most things sound good, but they won’t be my forever speaker.

Can someone snap a picture of the Legacy owners manual page regarding location of the speaker. I’ve searched around and found very sparse info. My DMT’s do like to be out in the room three feet away from walls. This seems to be confirmed in the Kingdom manual I found.
BayORsm.png

Mz7XP8y.jpg

Can someone snap a picture of the Legacy owners manual page regarding location of the speaker. I’ve searched around and found very sparse info. My DMT’s do like to be out in the room three feet away from walls. This seems to be confirmed in the Kingdom manual I found.
BayORsm.png

Mz7XP8y.jpg

Your photo is the same as photos in the legacy manual John.

my feeling is that the only way to improve this is to use them in massively free space in an otherwise oversized room.I like them and they make most things sound good, but they won’t be my forever speaker.
Addition: it clearly seems to be mostly an issue about upper bass clouding the lower treble response. Play music without bass and they sound ideal. The second you bring some bass into the mix, it muddies the works a little.
positioning and bungs may assist

Not sure how long you have them but they might need a bit longer to run in. All speakers are a compromise but the room and recording also need to be factored in. Well recorded music and lots of it with significant and detailed bass lines sound fine here but stuff that I might get away with on 63's which have too much bass need the bungs in the Tannoys or need to be turned down a bit volume wise. But this is a fault of the recording not the speakers.

I found for awhile I had the treble energy increased also but now all settings are at level and the bungs are left out. I think I could eek out improvements with diffusion and more room intervention but for my ears it sounds excellent.

I think also a lot of people end up buying speakers that are physically just too big for the rooms they are used in. Also not using any absorption,bass traps or diffusers etc. is going to mean the SQ will be compromised. All imho.

Last edited:
I found this interesting from my DMT manual and can say that it was true in my case when I switched from a 1/2 inch thick neoprene sheet under each speaker to Rollerblocks.

mrsy0MF.jpg

interesting . I have mine on level treble energy in a mega damped room . carpets , sofas , anaglypta , curtains etc. they are not as utterly transparent in the midband as the similarly sized shl5plus but they are very balanced . the sound i find is very linear and realistic and occassionally i just catch my breath over the realism , depending on the recording

i find that because they are not so relentless as some speakers that they are totally unfatiguing . adding a dc3 psu to my bc pre amp [ custom cables ] has added more weight to the sound , there is certainly lots of bass . i do of course have the iso acoustic pucks underneath which yucky will be pleased to hear

@shrink, these are the only measurements of the Legacy range that I am currently aware of. They are from a German hifi review website.

Here's the 1m nearfield measurement of my Tannoy Autograph Mini, which also uses the TW HF guide (albeit a smaller one to that of the Legacy models). The response has a gentle, broad depression of a couple of dBs between 1.5kHz and 4kHz which gives a more 'distant' perspective to the performance. Also note the rising HF response above 5kHz. This makes the presentation too sharply outlined for my liking when listening on-axis. However, once the high frequencies are softened a little with EQ and/or off-axis toe-in to make the MF/HF balance flatter, they sound very natural but still impressively detailed.

Last edited:
How are you finding its HF now? It’s the only area I have anything approaching criticism of the Ardens, inasmuch as on some tracks I think I would like a bit more treble energy. Paradoxically it’s absolutely spot on perfect on other tracks. Maybe it’s just being super truthful to what’s actually on the recording, rather than imparting a bit of brightness to everything.I am wondering if it might benefit in this regard from short plinths, perhaps spiked into the carpet and with the Ardens on isolation feet atop.
Still love the speakers but perhaps a touch of seasoning to taste is required...

Just found this post again when logging on tonight! As outlined above John treble settings at level now. I have the Cheviots on bamboo breadboards with castors. Toed in and my post above which I need to adjust as it doesn't read write is in effect trying to say what you suggest! i.e. The Tannoys are very faithful to the recording. If there is too much bass or over emphasis on a particular low frequency the Tannoy reproduces it faithfully. Tuga mentioned something and I think you did about room nulls or roll off at a particular frequency. Maybe if I was a whizz at measuring I would identify if there is just an issue with the Tannoys at particular frequencies or if the problem is the recording.

Currently listening to In A Silent Way just after the Koln Concert and you couldn't fault them in any way. I had 5hrs last night playing stuff from Gang of Four, Earth Wind and Fire, Tons of Talking Heads, ST Vincent, Television, Magazine, Fleetwood Mac, The Cars etc. If I was in a detached house out in the countryside I would have kept going into the early hours.

Here is a hopefully a better mobile photo attempt which is closer to the reality of the room set up

50822729207_40a16d76e4_m.jpg

advertisement

Back