advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

Hi Guy - and the lads :) , hope you're all doing well.
Now, I own an ol' S500 MkI amp and the ECC88s have passed their prime and need to be replaced. I wonder whether the Russian 6N1Ps will be a no-risk option, or are they unsafe to use there and I, thus, must go for 6N23Ps instead? Your advice will be much appreciated - thank you.

ECC88's are a pretty long life valve. I'd expect them to last 10 years or more with an hour or two use most days.
If you need to replace them then whats wrong with the correct valves? ECC88, E88CC, 6DJ8, 6922
6N1P are in fact quite different from ECC88 but 6N23P pretty close.

I've got some Voshkod 6H23N in that position. I've played with Phillips 6DJ8 and 6922 JAN variant too.

I really liked the JAN one but it went microphonic.

The Voshkods are cool; nice sound. Easily better to my ears than the EH ECC88 that came with Audrey! :D

6N1P's should work... you won't break anything, but the characteristics are quite different in certain respects... 6N1P takes greater heater current, has half the transconductance of ECC88 and different anode resistance.

Hello to all, I just bought AI 1000 mk3 and they are on its way to my home. I never had a chance for demo listening. I hope they will make my Tannoy Edinburgh He speakers sing nice. I have valve preamp Croft Super Micro from 1987, what do you experts think, is the Croft good partner for AI 1000 Mk3?

Bought another ai 300 a few months back
It is a stupidly good amp with easy to drive speakers, not sure how much I'd need to spend to beat it, guessing a fair bit

Good afternoon all!
I'm looking forward to getting a pair of Mullard E88CC Valves in the New Year! This will mean all Signal Valves are Mullards! Can't wait to plug them in! :)

Good afternoon

I have an early S500 which I am considering recommissioning (been in its box for 20 years) and I was wondering if David Wright in Sussex was still active and if anyone had his contact details.

I had an interesting chat with some chaps in the AudioNote room at the last Bristol show. I commented that thier new integrated amp they were domo'ing looked quite similar to my AI 500. They said that it was indeed modelled on the old S500 and that a number of people at AudioNote factory still own them. Apparently AudioNote and Audio Innovations were parallel companies in the early days. So I asked if they would service an Audio Innovations S500 and they said they would, in fact I think they would also service the monoblock and S1000 amps, which is nice.

Many Thanks in advance

Anthony

advertisement

Back