advertisement

Only for power cable believers

monya

pfm Member
I have a variety - DH Labs, Musicworks,Atlas, Chord, Audioquest + Mark Grant. On a headphone setup I’ve been using Mark Grant’s perfectly decent cable on my Aqua La Scala dac plugged into the wall since I bought it earlier this year.
Thought I’d try something else as I figured the dac was picking up garbage off the mains as things didn’t sound as good as in another room where I have a separate feed off the consumer unit.
Today plugged in a Shunyata Delta v2 NR. Oh dear - within seconds I was surprised. More of everything especially depth space and air + increased dynamics. Bit of a bugger as it costs a lot more than MG. However, cable believers take note. This reaches the parts other cables don’t. Of course it could all be in my head.....

Had a Road to Damascus moment many years ago with my first Shunyata cable. Power my system from a Shunyata Hydra to this day. Every person that borrowed mine finished up buying one from me so a load of us fools about,lol.

Sounds like my recent home demo (which confirmed a couple of shop and show demo sessions over the last few years) of the Nordost Qbase8 and Frey2 power cables on my silly-price system.
The improvement was worthwhile repeatable and incremental...

And I was already using some nice mains stuff - Isotek Syncro and Sigmas and three Cardas Golden Ref

Conclusion - I bought the Qbase8 and 2 Frey2 power cables and am saving for at least one more.

I don’t know if they’re still available but I really liked the Harmonic Technology power cables.

Sounds like my recent home demo (which confirmed a couple of shop and show demo sessions over the last few years) of the Nordost Qbase8 and Frey2 power cables on my silly-price system.
The improvement was worthwhile repeatable and incremental...

And I was already using some nice mains stuff - Isotek Syncro and Sigmas and three Cardas Golden Ref

Conclusion - I bought the Qbase8 and 2 Frey2 power cables and am saving for at least one more.
glad you like the syncro, very very easy to hear the difference in sound with one in. Not always better but it definately changes the sound but then it's more than just a power cable

I trialled shunyata boxes and cables maybe 15 years ago. Very effective they were and I still have a v-ray box and anaconda cables in my system.

glad you like the syncro, very very easy to hear the difference in sound with one in. Not always better but it definately changes the sound but then it's more than just a power cable
The Syncro is THE cure for most singalong toroids.
I'm keeping the Syncro + Sigmas alongside the QBase 8. Horses for courses...

The QBase etc gets the Aesthetix and dCS boxes which have power supplies that don't need the Isotek stuff and sound much better on the Qbase (even with a 5€ kettle lead between the Qbase and the wall, with a Frey it goes even further)

The Sycnro + Sigmas get the Cambridge CXU (only really used for ripping SACDs), the NAS (when I get around to buying one) and the SME 20 (the power supplies whether mk2 or mk3 both hum without the Syncro)

I personally can't understand why a cable going from a mains or internet wall socket to the input of a piece of equipment can make any difference whatsoever if spec'd above or the same as what's leading to the wall socket from the incoming services.
I can understand why cables could and can make a difference on the output side of kit as it’s dealing with delicate signal voltages and current, but again, if its point to point wiring inside the units then the weakest link will be the inferior section, so unless the internal wiring is the same as, or better, the external connecting cable analogy/quality fails again.

Last edited:
I personally can't understand why a cable going from a mains or internet wall socket to the input of a piece of equipment can make any difference whatsoever if spec'd above or the same as what's leading to the wall socket from the incoming services.
I can understand why cables could and can make a difference on the output side of kit as it dealing with delicate signal voltages and current, but again if its point to point wiring inside the units then the weakest link will be the inferior section so unless the internal wiring is the same as or better that the external connecting cables it fails again.
No idea why it works but it does in my system and in other systems I have heard ... well enough for me to sign the cheque.

I would have tried Shunyata if it was available here since some very reliable people have said some very complementary things about the brand. I went Nordost because it is available and it is convincing.
Availability at a reliable dealership is also a major reason behind me having dCS boxes rather than Chord DAVE and mScaler

I can understand why cables could and can make a difference on the output side of kit as it dealing with delicate signal voltages and current, but again if its point to point wiring inside the units then the weakest link will be the inferior section so unless the internal wiring is the same as or better that the external connecting cables it fails again.
I got the power company to move the sub station to across the road from my house.

Well....shortest signal path principle and all that. Might as well try it ;)

Maybe be nice to keep to the OP's title. Rather hear of peoples own experience than listen to the usual sh--- about a cables a cables a cable. From personal experience of years of selling cables, the Naimboys were always the biggest naysayers.. until Naim decided there was bucks to be made.

OK, let's ask how many folks here have actually made their own mains cables?
What connectors did you use?
What cable did you use?
What topology is the cable (for example, screened, star quad, etc)?
What were the results?

I made up 3x mains cables with Supra bits for around £50 in total IIRC. For the peace of mind it seemed good value, nice chunky cable. Can't say I noticed any difference though.
I also have a Wychwood 8-way extension cable, again nice to have the peace of mind with the RCD protection.

No idea why it works but it does in my system and in other systems I have heard ... well enough for me to sign the cheque.

I would have tried Shunyata if it was available here since some very reliable people have said some very complementary things about the brand. I went Nordost because it is available and it is convincing.
Availability at a reliable dealership is also a major reason behind me having dCS boxes rather than Chord DAVE and mScaler
Shunyata is available in the UK now https://shunyata-uk.com/ but this doesn’t mean I’m a poster boy for the products.

advertisement

Back