advertisement

The 2020 F1 Season

gut-picture-id157289012

dreaming-picture-id157193500

Not a great race (admit I dozed off a few times) to end the season with but a well deserved win for Max after the way he’s driven this year.

Doubt Russell could’ve done much with the Mercedes today, it just didn’t look to have the pace to match Max & the Red Bull.

Not a great race (admit I dozed off a few times) to end the season with but a well deserved win for Max after the way he’s driven this year.

Doubt Russell could’ve done much with the Mercedes today, it just didn’t look to have the pace to match Max & the Red Bull.
What if he’d qualified ahead of Bottas, and therefore, just maybe, Verstappen? Going purely off last weekend’s show, the race might have had a different outcome.

It's been a surprisingly great season... but what an anticlimax! Note to self: Abu Dhabi is a pure snoozefest and completely missable!

What if he’d qualified ahead of Bottas, and therefore, just maybe, Verstappen? Going purely off last weekend’s show, the race might have had a different outcome.

Not sure at this track today Tony. Max was in cruise mode, even joking about turning the engine down when was 11 odd seconds up the road.

To be sure it was VER's day, the RB was on point, clearly had a nice setup for the track, even ALB could get it up (snigger). I don't think RUS would have anything for VER but man I would loved to see him try.

Even the Sky commentators on F1TV were making fun of the circuit - needs to be dropped or at least moved to the middle of the season.

Yeah, it's not a track that invites a lot of action. It might work better if they switched to day-time running with warmer conditions, but even then there are no guarantees. I'm planning on writing out a list of things to do when the 2021 Abu Dhabi race is on. Something like: go for a walk; go for a drive; write Christmas cards; check my credit score; phone a friend; clean my mana; click on some clickbait. That sort of thing.

I just thought of a simple way in which F1 could increase excitement/tension at races, especially boring races like the one we had yesterday: introduce a second mandatory pit stop. This would help put an end to drivers taking it easy due to tyre management - I mean, why would a driver manage their tyres when they're going to be getting changed within X amount of laps! I'm not sure of course that would have made a difference to the front three yesterday, but sticking on a set of hard tyres and bringing the car home from lap 11 just isn't the racing we want to see! And if the new front wing does indeed allow cars to follow closer then the last thing we want is for drivers to have to back off because their tyres are gubbed if they can't complete an overtake within a few laps of trying.

Plus, pit stops are an important part of strategy and can be a key pressure point for teams, drivers and fans alike as they don't always go according to plan. Run them hard and race from start to finish, that's what I say :)

advertisement

Back