advertisement

Sudden loss in volume from Naim NAC112/NAP150

gustav_errata

pfm Member
Edit: numpty alert. The problem wasn't the amps. Please disregard.

I have a Naim NAC112 and NAP150. Normally, I would listen with the volume around the 9-10 o'clock position. Only on the rarest occasion would I approach 12 o'clock.

I just sat down to listen this evening and I'm finding that I need to turn it up to 12 o'clock just to get a bit of energy and volume, testing with my usual go-to tracks. At my usual 9 o'clock the music is barely audible.

These were bought second hand and I don't know the service history for sure but past enquiries to Naim via Grahams (the amps have Grahams stickers on the back) and Class A didn't turn up any service records. Despite their age, I haven't sent them for a service yet myself because I thought they sounded fine.

Anyway. Is this just a sign that the usual recap is needed or does this sound like something else? If so, would both amps require service? Sorry I'm a complete newbie about this stuff.

Last edited:
Nevermind. I can't delete my thread (can I?) but it seems to be a source problem...

Edit for the curious: a source problem didn't occur to me because its just a streamer (SOtM sMS-200) into a Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100, both new, so it should be line-level with no clear way to get volume attenuation that's otherwise clean. So I assumed it must be the amps. However I forgot that I updated the streamer yesterday and this was my first listen since the update. Somehow during the update the mpd settings changed to have a software mixer, which defaults to 50% volume I think. Re-disablng that fixed it.

NAC112s were notorious for volume control issues and I believe the control circutry went obsolete because it doesn't use a standard volume pot, rather a digital control. A call to Naim may be the only fix.

The position of the volume control don't say anything how much power the amp is delivering.

The power of 10 o'clock at a Naim can be the same power at 14 o'clock with a different amp.

The position of the volume control don't say anything how much power the amp is delivering.

The power of 10 o'clock at a Naim can be the same power at 14 o'clock with a different amp.

These were all in reference to the same amp. Anyway, I sorted it out in the end as the problem was "impossibly" in the source.

@gustav_errata: Sorry, I have miss read the post. I have read Sugden loss in volume vs. Naim Nap 112/150. I should read more carefully, not only the headlines while watching TV. Especially if it isn't written in my mother language. Sorry!:oops:

I have a similar affliction; whenever there is a thread that mentions 'streamer' or 'streamers', I always see 'steamer' or 'steamers'.

Must be my maritime heritage.

advertisement

Back