advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is tedious. Even more so as they are the only varietal-specific ones I already have. Mine are still in the care of Hermes, somewhere.

Don't believe anything more than thin glass and a normal shape is required. A larger glass for red and smaller for white has some logic regarding temperature.
The existence of 20 ? different Riedel glasses for different grapes is brilliant marketing IMO... and I have a few of them.
In fact the glass I use for red more than any other is meant for oaked chardonnay I think. edit I checked and it looks like the pinot noir one so perhaps I escape censure.
We don't seem to need 20 different beer glasses, single malt glasses etc

Don't believe anything more than thin glass and a normal shape is required. A larger glass for red and smaller for white has some logic regarding temperature.

Ssssh - you’ll be telling us we don’t need to spend £50 on a mains cable next.

TBH I bought both the PN and the Chardo, but only because £20 for a pair seemed a decent deal. I like my Riedel Magnum for all reds, but they won’t last forever. I already have the Rieslings that Andrew mentioned and use them for all whites. I wouldn’t have bothered if the offer had been for two more of the same.
We don't seem to need 20 different beer glasses, single malt glasses etc

No, nine varietal-specific beer glasses should be sufficient for any well-balanced human being.

50702056967_cbe088c9f3.jpg

^ have you tried a Rhône in that Rochefort glass ? Live life on the wild side.
If a wine is young I sometimes compare the effect of one of those aerator gadgets but every time I think I've pinned down the difference it floats away.

Last edited:
Mine have just arrived, or rather they've sent me two Riesling / Zinfandel glasses. Not sure I can be bothered to try and return / exchange them.

Mine are here now, inner boxes intact despite the crushed outer packaging (the current Hermes lad pushes a Transit-sized load of parcels into his little hatchback.) I have the PN as ordered, but they have substituted Cab/Merlot for Chard. They are both bloomin’ huge (that is not a half bottle.) That’s fine for the PN, they are on the same scale as the giant bottles the ABC Isabelle came in last week. I might visit my local Tkmaxx to see if I can swap the others, though.

50702284927_59c1669b26.jpg

A few items on the Vinatis UK sale list caught my eye...

JM Sorbe’s Reuilly is terrific and this is a steal at £12

A bottle of Montus 2015 lurking on the table like a small UXB next to the turkey will separate the men from the boys - £25.50

You could treat yourself to something very special indeed after that - a bottle of Huet moelleux at £31.80 to keep behind your chair whilst charging everyone else’s glass with Tesco Value Wine-style Beverage (produce of more than one country)

And one from the Christmas Wine producer of the moment, JP Brun. This time his Morgon Côte de Py for £17.69.

I tried to relieve Vinatis of some of their Morgon but it seems that you have to be sponsored to create an account with them and no option to buy as a guest. ; (

^^ those are the two I use most of the time. You don't have to fill them...
There are stemless versions which are more practical.

I tried to relieve Vinatis of some of their Morgon but it seems that you have to be sponsored to create an account with them and no option to buy as a guest. ; (
I have an account with Vinatis France and have logged into Vinatis UK - it is giving me the opportunity to refer a friend. If you want me to refer you, drop me your name and email in a pm!

I have an account with Vinatis France and have logged into Vinatis UK - it is giving me the opportunity to refer a friend. If you want me to refer you, drop me your name and email in a pm!

Thank you! All done. I'm thinking that I'm not going to be able to hop across to France before 31/12/20 and that the way negotiations are going that, whilst we may get Brexit done, in all probability we will 'get done by Brexit' on future European wine purchases.

I'm thinking that I'm not going to be able to hop across to France before 31/12/20 and that the way negotiations are going that, whilst we may get Brexit done, in all probability we will 'get done by Brexit' on future European wine purchases.

Somewhere upthread wacko gave a link to an article saying we would be allowed to bring in 36 bottles after Brexit without paying duty at the border. I’ve now found the original info on gov.uk, and while it is spun in a stupid way to make it appear as if the limits are being increased rather than decreased, it seems to be policy and not dependent on a trade agreement. Not great, but better than nothing (or what we had pre-Customs Union.)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty-free-extended-to-the-eu-from-january-2021

Hic gave the dude Jean Marc Burgaud as a substitution
Wow superb.
I’m tempted to get some of his Vignes de Lantignié as I’ve not bothered to buy Wild Soul. Especially as I now have a £10/10€ Vinatis voucher.

Yeah that was the wine I had in those rather bulbous PN glasses.verdict ca vroom.
Not had Beaujolais for a lot of years
not sure why just dropped off the horizon.
A welcome reaquaintance.

Yeah that was the wine I had in those rather bulbous PN glasses.verdict ca vroom.
Not had Beaujolais for a lot of years
not sure why just dropped off the horizon.
A welcome reaquaintance.

Agreed. I've only had 1 bottle of my current stash: letting it become beaujolais vieux.

In keeping with the Beaujolais mood I opened a bottle of Foillard Morgon 2017 given to me as a prezzie. It wasn’t at all what I was expecting - then I realised that the last few bottles of Beaujolais I’ve tasted have been Nouveaux foisted on me by friends in France when I have visited them at the wrong time of the year.

This was lovely, and I suspect if I knew anything about Burgundy I’d compare it favourably. Or maybe that’s just the influence of my new Tkmaxx Pinot Noir varietal specific glasses, pressed unwillingly into service as it’s next door.

As you can tell, I’m not very articulate tonight, so I’ll hand over to a CT colleague for an in-depth review. (Between you and me, from the style I reckon it’s Clive Coates in disguise.)

18/11/2018 - BJLCRUCRAZY WROTE:94 Points

Just friggin beautiful. So delicious. So gluggable!!

50711090823_c1fe23d6f9_z.jpg

Last edited:
^ Hmmm 2017 Morgon glugged in November 2018. I like the passion in JFB though.
I wonder how many points he would have given if he had waited a year...
Or even 2 as you did. 'Lovely' sounds like a 92.5.
Lucky you are on a 3 (or is it 5 ?) grade scale otherwise you may have to recalibrate previous scores in light of the new Riedel glasses. o_O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back