advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very good vintage (2016) but something about its demeanour puts me off. They publicity says 'single estate', but the label screams co-operative. Tasting notes on vivino aren't great.

I would say give it a miss. Chateauneuf du Pape is notorious for rather ordinary wines that coast on the perceived reputation of the label. You'd do better for the money (or less) from reputable estates in Rasteau, Cairanne, Seguret, Sablet, Vacqueyras, and even Cotes du Rhone/Villages.

Oh, and the name, which is of course a crafty play on 'Clos des Papes', a genuine and excellent single estate.

It's a very good vintage (2016) but something about its demeanour puts me off. They publicity says 'single estate', but the label screams co-operative. Tasting notes on vivino aren't great.

I would say give it a miss. Chateauneuf du Pape is notorious for rather ordinary wines that coast on the perceived reputation of the label. You'd do better for the money (or less) from reputable estates in Rasteau, Cairanne, Seguret, Sablet, Vacqueyras, and even Cotes du Rhone/Villages.
Good advice thanks, I'll stick to trusted
names.I guess Chn.du Pape is a bit like Chablis the name is a trap for the unwary.

It is a sad thing that trying to buy any big name like Barolo, Barbaresco, CnP, Burgundy, Bordeaux for less than £20 in the UK is fraught with the risk of disappointment. Because at £20 only about £7 goes towards the actual wine (so says Decanter) which is not much in those regions. At £17.50 it must be about £6.
Generally better to buy a top producer wine in a more humble appellation than vice versa.

Last edited:
A few items on the Vinatis UK sale list caught my eye...

JM Sorbe’s Reuilly is terrific and this is a steal at £12

A bottle of Montus 2015 lurking on the table like a small UXB next to the turkey will separate the men from the boys - £25.50

You could treat yourself to something very special indeed after that - a bottle of Huet moelleux at £31.80 to keep behind your chair whilst charging everyone else’s glass with Tesco Value Wine-style Beverage (produce of more than one country)

And one from the Christmas Wine producer of the moment, JP Brun. This time his Morgon Côte de Py for £17.69.

It is a sad thing that trying to buy any big name like Barolo, Barbaresco, CnP, Burgundy, Bordeaux for less than £20 in the UK is fraught with the risk of disappointment. Because at £20 only about £7 goes towards the actual wine (so says Decanter) which is not much in those regions. At £17.50 it must be about £6.
Generally better to buy a top producer wine in a more humble appellation than vice versa.

Yeah I almost got munsoned,the stress of it all I'm off to open something.

Me too. Another empty bottle of Le Ronsay will be tossed carelessly into the corner of the kitchen at 11.02.

Reckon you lot are all getting over excited about a crap Christian festival, drink and eat well every day is what I preach,without forgetting those who cannot

Reckon you lot are all getting over excited about a crap Christian festival, drink and eat well every day is what I preach,without forgetting those who cannot
I've looked back over the last six or eight pages and can't see any level of excitement at all, I'm delighted to say. I agree with your sentiments but instead of 'crap Christian festival' I'd say 'spurious sentimentality driven almost wholly by rampant consumerism.'

And relax...

I've looked back over the last six or eight pages and can't see any level of excitement at all, I'm delighted to say. I agree with your sentiments but instead of 'crap Christian festival' I'd say 'spurious sentimentality driven almost wholly by rampant consumerism.'

And relax...

by excitement I mean all the requests for suitable wines lately, far more posts in a shorter time than usual. The consumerism on here seems fairly rampant.
anyway, at least we agree about Christmas

as for relax I have been doing just that for the yonks now, but I am mightly pissed off at the moment,perhaps I should indulge in a cookie

by excitement I mean all the requests for suitable wines lately, far more posts in a shorter time than usual. The consumerism on here seems fairly rampant.
anyway, at least we agree about Christmas

as for relax I have been doing just that for the yonks now, but I am mightly pissed off at the moment,perhaps I should indulge in a cookie
Someone a few pages back asked for more recommendations - that's my excuse, anyway. You can't please anyone, any of the time.

It was me that I was suggesting should relax, after a mercifully brief spittle-flecked rant.

Cookies are great. I recommend the recipe I posted in another thread. But they are more of a morning thing for me. I'll stick to bread and cheese for snacks after sundown. Or decent dried sausage.

Someone a few pages back asked for more recommendations - that's my excuse, anyway. You can't please anyone, any of the time.

It was me that I was suggesting should relax, after a mercifully brief spittle-flecked rant.

Cookies are great. I recommend the recipe I posted in another thread. But they are more of a morning thing for me. I'll stick to bread and cheese for snacks after sundown. Or decent dried sausage.

I'm trying to remember if cookies are something that Americans and Chinese drop into your computer, or we dropped into Germany a few years back.

That's awfully Politically Incorrect, but then I'm 7/8ths into a bottle of Ronsay, and it's been a long day. Soz.

With an extravagance born out of abstinence yesterday I am contemplating a Ridge Geyserville this evening.

I've been stretching my mouth
To let those big words come right out

One of the few that left a successful group and got, arguably, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back