advertisement

Living Voice Auditorium, DeVore, Audio Note AN-E

Have you experimented much with positioning. LVs will sound decent just plonked down, but they do respond to quite small changes in position and toe-in.

This is exactly what l was going to say as the LV's can be fussy about this- good luck with what ever you do.

I have LV Avatars here and drive them with a Puresound 2a3 push pull 18w and it's got plenty of grunt and really drives the LV's superbly.
Hard Rock sounds great as well as everything else, tremendous bass slam.

The 2A3 is a great sounding valve but 2 will not give 18 watts. You might get 9 watts/channel from a pair.

@ the Audio Note and Living Voice owners: We are moving in January currently I'm trying to decide if I would place my hifi stuff in the living room 28 s.m. or 14 s.m. separate room.

The thing is that we are looking for a new couch. I like hearing in bigger rooms with distance > 2.5m but the position and furniture is a little asymmetric. The couch has an L-shape which isn't good for a well left-right balance.

Therefore I curious if anyone has experience with room sizes like my 14 s.m. with Audio Note AN-E or Living Voice speakers.

If you are moving then surely with the wonga you may be spending a home demo is the way forward- cannot imagine dealers not doing his for you.:)

I have LV Avatars here and drive them with a Puresound 2a3 push pull 18w and it's got plenty of grunt and really drives the LV's superbly.

This was exactly my experience too (albeit with different speakers). I switched from a 10w SET to an 18w 2a3 PP, and was delighted with the extra slam and bass texture. Rock/metal/punk etc etc was so much better now. Sounds like I have new speakers!

I use a Puresound 2A3 as well, driving some Heco Direkt's, a brilliant combination.
Reading what you have said so far I think you should give them a listen.
Years ago, 1980's I had Snell J/11's and Audio Innovations amp, I prefer the Heco's.

I only quoted the specs from NAF, and yes, you are right. A single 2A3 has around 3,5 watt @ 5% distortion (Edit) in Class A.

Last edited:
Reactions: GT
I've heard AN-E placed in corners on a full AN rig, they are nothing like those Snell I recall.
maybe lacking substance but lots of music and tone, PQ got it really right but at a cost.

Heard Devore at shows, fabulous but at a price.

I know that the AN-E is based on a Snell design and also that the Living Voice is based on an older Dali Design.:)

I'm afraid to say that I'm not really interested in debating the measurements of these speakers because I know them and also any available review of the Audio Note AN-E, all (free) available LV and Devore reviews.;)

I don't need "only fan" reports but I'd prefer to read were their strength are and what are the faults (but not based on measurements).

Don't get me wrong, I always look for as much measurements I can get but the don't tell you everything.

SET would be okay but I think I'm more a PP guy.:)

What has disapointed you and which stuff do you use/prefer to listen with?

I missed this for some reason (perhaps because only quotes trigger an alert).

Several things disappointed me: tonal balance was far from neutral, the system made a mess of the orchestra (perhaps a mash would be more accurate) and sounded lacking in perceived dynamics and low-level detail/resolution.

I had a pair of Spendor SP9/1s at the time, currently using Stirling LS3/6s.

Last edited:
The 2A3 is a great sounding valve but 2 will not give 18 watts. You might get 9 watts/channel from a pair.
The Puresound 2a3 has been measured as having 18w per channel by hifi choice, in fact at full output 20w though with 2% distortion but with my LV's I'm probably only using just under 1 watt at normal listening.

I use a Puresound 2A3 as well, driving some Heco Direkt's, a brilliant combination.
Reading what you have said so far I think you should give them a listen.
Years ago, 1980's I had Snell J/11's and Audio Innovations amp, I prefer the Heco's.
I too had Type JII and second audio amps .
I prefer the Puresound 2a3 and the Direkt's are something I'm looking at if I change from the LV's.

The Puresound 2a3 has been measured as having 18w per channel by hifi choice, in fact at full output 20w though with 2% distortion but with my LV's I'm probably only using just under 1 watt at normal listening.

Acknowledged. I thought the amp as it was running triodes would be running in class A, not class AB, hence my initial post.

Acknowledged. I thought the amp as it was running triodes would be running in class A, not class AB, hence my initial post.
Yes I thought that when I first heard about the amp, I met Guy at a show and he explained about the design, so the amp could be used with a wider range of speakers. Though still needing efficient designs.

Reactions: GT
Hello,
currently I own a pair of Living Voice R3R. They can sound pretty good with music witch isn't that demanding and complex like Jazz, Singer Songwriter and so on but with Rock, Punkrock and other artificial music I have the feeling that there is something missing sometimes.

I'm curious to know if the more expansive or newer models are worth the extra money?

I also find DeVore and Audio Note AN-E speakers because of their higher sensitivity very interesting. Unfortunately I have never heard a DeVore speaker or a Audio Note AN-E.

Voices are very important to me and a natural sound. I have liked Harbeth in the past very much also speakers from the German brand Odeon and my latest Rosso Fiorentino Volterra which I have owned before the LV R3R.

If someone has compared or listened to these brands and speakers I'd appreciate advices and reports.:)

Interesting thread....... I am familiar with the Devore speakers and they do a superb job of revealing the detail and complexity of classical recordings, especially the timbre in the human voice. Not sure that they how they perform with a Bossendorfer in full cry though.Like most speakers it is the quality of the lower frequency that matters rather than the amount. Great with good jazz recordings ie' OP We have regrets etc. They do need some room to breathe though to give their best. GT Audio used to import them but I think no longer does so.I heard them driven by 211 valves

If I had not needed the floor space I would certainly have considered them

Living voice are probably well known for their coherency. I do not think that they do anythig badly as you would ecpect from Kevin. My problem was that they seemed to lack come control in the base and dynamics. They were driven by Kondo amps so perhaps not surprising. Not really for me.

Not suffiently familiar with AN speakers to comment.

There is another speaker that you might want to consider; Horning. They are sufficiently sensitive to be happy with SET amps. I heard them originally being driven with SET2a3 valves and was surpised at what they can do. They can be set up close to the rear walls (30cms). They also do a good job handling a bossendorfer driven with a SET300B amp ! I have the earlier Euphrodites so they are quite deep. The later models hade adopted the popular lute shape and are accommodated more easily.

Morning,
the moving to the new flat is getting closer and I'm still curios if the LV will work in that 14sqm room.
If not I have to look for alternatives and there is still Audio Note in my mind.

I have watched many videos on YT about AN. I know YT videos don't give a 100% reliable impression how something sounds but in every video with AN I heard a slightly cupped handed sound and also slightly cloudy and thick lower midrange. Also Stereophile has mentioned it in the review.

So I'm asking people who have listened to some Audio Note speakers if that is the case. I'm very, very sensitive with this kind of sound and if every AN speaker has these kind of sound, I don't have to look any further or buy a pair blind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash AN, every speaker has advantages and disadvantages, it is only that it is very important to me that a speaker hasn't that kind of sound.

Thank you for your honest (in case of an AN speaker owner) response and help.

advertisement

Back