advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching the first episode, looks promising.

Is it just me that has to turn off the dubbed English language and turn on native French and subtitles?

It really disturbs me when I watch overdubbed foreign language programs, it's not just the lip sync issue it's the loss of emotive content,
I'd rather watch the subtitles and pick up what limited dialogue I can understand.

Am I wierd?
Not at all, I always prefer subtitles.

How the hell I missed Maniac on Netflix I'll never know. Brilliant and unique. Great cast too. I'll need to explore the Norwegian original too.

Maniac is an American psychological dark comedy-drama television miniseries that premiered on September 21, 2018, on Netflix. It was created by Patrick Somerville and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga and is loosely based on the Norwegian television series of the same name by Espen PA Lervaag, Håakon Bast Mossige, Kjetil Indregard, and Ole Marius Araldsen. The series follows two strangers who connect during a mind-bending pharmaceutical trial and stars Emma Stone, Jonah Hill, Justin Theroux, Sonoya Mizuno, Gabriel Byrne, and Sally Field.

Stephen

I remain fascinated by its ambiguity. I'm a republican (not that it keeps me awake at night) and there's just enough overt and implied critique to keep me watching without feeling like a gullible idiot. On the other hand, I can imagine staunch royalists loving it too (partly, I suspect, because it hardly ever criticises Madge directly). The narrative structure and aesthetics (lavish attention to detail, fetishisation of the symbols of monarchy) are both conventional so, in that sense, it's deeply conservative. I'm still enjoying it though (episode 4 next)!

Of all the characters in the current season of the Crown Margaret Thatcher seems to come off the worst. Perhaps deservedly so. I'm impressed by Gillian Anderson's portrayal, but if it's accurate she was indeed a woman without a shred of humanity - bordering on a personality disorder.

Of all the characters in the current season of the Crown Margaret Thatcher seems to come off the worst. Perhaps deservedly so. I'm impressed by Gillian Anderson's portrayal, but if it's accurate she was indeed a woman without a shred of humanity - bordering on a personality disorder.
I think Prince Charles comes across pretty poor also, it’s a close run thing.

That's the problem with fictionalised history; it requires heroes and villains to make it more interesting. Here is an extract from a story by Hannah More about the dangers of 'sensational' literature:

'But in these books, (except here and there one, whom they make worse than Satan himself) every man and woman’s child of them, are all wise, and witty, and generous, and rich, and handsome, and genteel. No body is middling, or good in one thing, and bad in another, like my live acquaintance. But tis all up to the skies, or down to the dirt.'

The BBC's recent Thatcher documentary painted a similar picture. She showed some warmth to family, friends and members of staff but had a monstrous lack of empathy for the poor and vulnerable.

The dubbing of Borgen is hysterical - really strong regional UK accents which in no way match the character. Some of it so bad you need the subtitles on anyway.

I hated Dark so much (but my partner was determined to watch it through to the end) - and it was awfully dubbed to boot. We watched it with the subtitles on, and the audio set to Simplified Chinese. It made about as much sense as the rest of the production.

For something different we watched a film from 1999 called “The Red Violin” on Prime last night, and very good it was too :)

Just finished the latest series of The Crown on Netflix. I thought it an improvement on the previous one. Not too many of the people portrayed come out of it very well.

The dubbing of Borgen is hysterical - really strong regional UK accents which in no way match the character. Some of it so bad you need the subtitles on anyway.
Odd. I would have thought the British are okay with subtitles; America is the place where people can't abide them, so I would have expected American English...

I hated Dark so much (but my partner was determined to watch it through to the end) - and it was awfully dubbed to boot. We watched it with the subtitles on, and the audio set to Simplified Chinese. It made about as much sense as the rest of the production.
Why not just use the original German audio track? Yes, Dark was awfully dubbed into English, with people not even able to say their own character's names properly (and the American accents they used felt completely wrong for the kind of nowhere-town setting of the programme), but the original German cast performances are excellent.

We've been having a bit of an Aussie drama binge. Wanted [Netflix] is good - two strong female lead characters - a chance happening at a bus stop leads to them being bundled into a car boot and kidnapped. They find themselves caught up in a larger criminal conspiracy, and go on the run across Australia.
We'd already watched The Code [Netflix] when it was on BBC4 a while back.
Secret City [Netflix again] is a good political thriller, with (amongst others) the superb Jacki Weaver playing a gloriously loathsome character (much as she does in the similarly enjoyable Goldstone - a sequel to Mystery Road which has been discussed upthread, IIRC - which was on the Beeb recently).

Thanks for the recommendations - really enjoyed the first series of the Code, felt the second was lacking a bit compared to the first. Also enjoying Wanted with strong lead characters, although the some of the stroylines do get a bit far fecthed. Haven't got around to watching Secret City, but will give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back