advertisement

roon

...You’d think the likes of Auralic who steadfastly say no Android App will be developed would cosy up with ROON...
I get the impression that the people who run Roon might not be terribly easy to cosy up to...

Auralic's Lightning works fine for me; the modest cost of a secondhand iPad Mini to run it was simply part of the purchase price of my Aries Mini, as far as I was concerned, and a whole lot less than the price of Roon membership. The Aries/iPad combination is worth every penny.

I get the impression that the people who run Roon might not be terribly easy to cosy up to...

Auralic's Lightning works fine for me; the modest cost of a secondhand iPad Mini to run it was simply part of the purchase price of my Aries Mini, as far as I was concerned, and a whole lot less than the price of Roon membership. The Aries/iPad combination is worth every penny.

I suppose it horses for courses and the Lightening app is indeed very good in the UPnP/ DNLA arena but Roon's curation is just so good and there are so many ways to choose what to listen to, discover new music and discover old music. My only complaint at the moment is portrait on iPad's other than the biggest ones is absent, landscape only. It's on the roadmap so hopefully we will see this improvement soon, the great thing about Roon is that it's being updated and improved continually.

.sjb

As I understand it, Roon don’t charge manufacturers anything for certification. Also, they’ve not kicked out any Roon compliant manufacturers, but instead temporarily put a stop to those devices whose makers have claimed are Roon Ready when they’re not.

Mick

Last edited:
Indeed there is quite a lot of gossip, very little fact and a fair a bit of vitriol been shown all seemingly stemming form the fact that some QNAP NASs have needed to reindex after an update and Roon hasn't sorted them yet.

If that's anything to go on Microsoft and Apple are heading down the tubes soon too.

.sjb

All I know is I bought the lifetime subscription probably 4 years ago and have had good value out of it. I am one who would *really* like some way of folder browsing, but I found a reasonable workaround using bookmarks, and the amount of music I've discovered as a result of using Roon has meant I've been prepared to put aside my gripes.

I respect them for sticking to their own vision of what the software should be, rather than everyone else's. I hope that doesn't turn out to be non-commercial.

@Sloop John B You seam very defensive and rather blinkered, maybe you've bought into the eco-system lifestyle roon and Apple offer. I personally don't subscribe to that.
I bought a lifetime sub for roon years ago when i had a Devialet 220Pro CI, roon worked and still works perfectly (bar this new annoying re-scanning issue) so don't try paint me into an anti roon corner.

Fact, they have pissed quite a few manufacturers off by thinking there have or should have control of others hardware and then having to backtrack the bullish attitude they dished out.
I also believe it to be true they lost there main financial partner a few months back which will explain some of the ridiculous moves they have recently made.

Last edited:
@Sloop John B You seam very defensive and rather blinkered, maybe you've bought into the eco-system lifestyle roon and Apple offer. I personally don't subscribe to that.
I bought a lifetime sub for roon years ago when i had a Devialet 220Pro CI, roon worked and still works perfectly (bar this new annoying re-scanning issue) so don't try paint me into an anti roon corner.

Fact, they have pissed quite a few manufacturers of by thinking there have or should have control of others hardware and then having to backtrack the bullish attitude they dished out.
I also believe it to be true they lost there main financial partner a few months back which will explain some of the ridiculous moves they have recently made.
They pissed off more than a few users too by saying that their endpoints would stop working in 10 days. Imagine how that felt.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/im...uncertified-roon-ready-network-players/120204

You seam very defensive and rather blinkered

I just don't like gossipy financial rumours impacting on a software I like and use a lot and possibly affect a team of very hard-working people who over the years through their forum I have got to like.

Not perfect - but they don't deserve this level of innuendo from a source who can say both these comments in the one thread...........

Their latest release 1.7 (667) is a bag of shit too.......... on various levels.

roon worked and still works perfectly (bar this new annoying re-scanning issue)

.sjb

Its a bag of shit ATM, it doesn't work as it should. Otherwise yes it plays music and does all the roon-ie stuff - maybe I should've said it 'plays perfect' so your semantic BS could find some peace.

As a software developer they should learn to listen to their audience/customers and wider support network. They do very little of this IMHO, the platform hasn't moved on much since 2017/2018.

As a software developer they should learn to listen to their audience/customers and wider support network. They do very little of this IMHO, the platform hasn't moved on much since 2017/2018.

Indeed they can be abrasive and single minded about what they want Roon to be. I rate this as a positive to have such drive and passion but can see how it would annoy some.

All in all I think they are good guys, all music lovers, trying to create a product vision of theirs and I for one have benefited hugely.

.sjb

Its a bag of shit ATM, it doesn't work as it should.

I'm no fan of Roon these days but you come off as a disgruntled user with a score to settle rather than someone with reasonable justification for calling into question Roon's financial viability and product quality / capability.

Do aspects of it get under my skin to the point I wish there were a better alternative that did things the way I want them - absolutely.

Do the devs frustrate me when they won't engage on what I consider to be be longstanding shortcomings - absolutely.

Do I think they spend too little time taking care of some longstanding basic enhancements and too much time focusing on Valence to deliver yet more lowest common denominator outcomes - absolutely.

However, looking at the average user it's fair to say that my needs don't represent those of the average user, so where I sometimes hate Roon the average user is by comparison happy as a pig in the proverbial.

Last I looked into it audio companies wishing to have a device become Roon Ready are provided the SDK at no charge, with a requirement that they work with the Roon team to achieve certification - which basically means it operates as intended. Companies have used the SDK and in some cases announced Roon Ready certification to the market when they have not completed the certification process, meaning the product doesn't necessarily operate as intended - and it's the customer and Roon that then get short-changed by a poor experience, tarnished reputation and increased support costs. Their refusal to enable uncertified products not already in customer hands is perfectly understandable. I'm not aware of any attempts by Roon to force issues like controlling device volume from within Roon, but RAAT provides for it if a device's design permits.

Finally, unless there have been significant changes, as far as I know Roon is not externally funded - it washes its own face and being tied into external control and funding is something the founders specifically sought to avoid when founding Roon.

Despite its shortcomings, Roon does what it does very well and it's definitely not a "bag of shit".

Last edited:
you come off as a disgruntled user with a score to settle

No, I'm just a Yorkshire man who calls a spade a spade. roon have known of this issue for over 5 weeks and they (knowingly) have done F.A. to resolve it. Which to me means they don't have the capacity or are too ignorant to care.

Last edited:
As someone who prefers to have better power for less money I do not have a qnap, and consequently roon runs fine for me. On this basis I believe that they are rolling in money and are about to float on the stock market.

I'm running Roon on a NUC with the exact specification Roon suggested two years ago when I bought it. I have experienced no issues whatsoever. When I briefly used my Inuos Zen to host the core there were problems with DSP and multiroom, Is the QNAP used by the OP appropriate for the task?

ROON guidance on NAS, basically Intel/AMD 64bit CPU, 4GB RAM upwards and the Database on SSD.
https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-server-on-nas

I’ve run ROON on lots of different hardware, Win 10, NUC ROCK, various NAS without problems, aside from pushing the DSP features and Sample Rate Conversion too hard and getting drop outs/pops.

I lost my devices in ROON the other day and a NAS/Devices reboot didn’t fix things, a reload of the App over the top did bring them back visible again, it was non destructive and didn’t take more than a few mins. Currently running it on a QNAP, I will be adding/removing some LPs tomorrow, will keep an eye on things and see if the Auto Scanning behaves.

advertisement

Back