advertisement

The last time I was "tipsy" was about 7 or 8 years ago at a wedding. I'm now tea total (by choice) in support of someone who has no choice in the matter. I don't miss it at all, having said that I never liked drinking in the home but really enjoyed skulling pints in the local (as long as the craic was good)

I never really liked the pints in a pub thing. (I don’t think I ever had pub mates, or that many friends )
I did have a few years as a regular in my local (camra approved) real ale pub, but I wasn’t in the best of places at that time. Great anecdotes, bad time...

There is a member of our extended family who has issues with alcohol. I sympathise with you. It is challenging at times. I hope you don’t see this thread as a glorification of something that is a serious issue that affects many people. The thread is a selfish way of letting off some steam during a particularly stressful time, in my case.

I'm sure there's something in that. However, these days a single bottle of hefty (14%..ish) Red can leave me in a state of regret. I am rather persuaded by the argument propounded in a late 1960s edition of New Scientist. Said article proposed that, in essence, the darker coloured drinks tended to have higher hangover potential, since the colour comprised mixes of alkaloids, which the body would have to deal with in addition to the alcohol. That theoretically would indicate that clear drinks such as Vodka and Gin ought to create less hangover per accompanied unit of alcohol, than say..Dark Rum, Port, Red Wine etc.

That said, much as I like Gin..I always find more than a couple give me a headache. I blame the Juniper... or the Quinine in the tonic.. :rolleyes:

Read and tremble: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/quinine-side-effects.html

Didn’t one of those Fat Ladies (the ones with the motorbike and sidecar, who cooked stuff) have an issue because of the vast amount of tonic water she drank? (never mind the gin...)

I might be making it up. I have been known to.

I'm sure there's something in that. However, these days a single bottle of hefty (14%..ish) Red can leave me in a state of regret. I am rather persuaded by the argument propounded in a late 1960s edition of New Scientist. Said article proposed that, in essence, the darker coloured drinks tended to have higher hangover potential, since the colour comprised mixes of alkaloids, which the body would have to deal with in addition to the alcohol. That theoretically would indicate that clear drinks such as Vodka and Gin ought to create less hangover per accompanied unit of alcohol, than say..Dark Rum, Port, Red Wine etc.

That said, much as I like Gin..I always find more than a couple give me a headache. I blame the Juniper... or the Quinine in the tonic.. :rolleyes:

Read and tremble: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/quinine-side-effects.html
Of all the drinks I take gin and tonic gives me by far the worse hangovers.

@gintonic

Now, I think it was you. Your name is a clue.

I think you said, ratio wise, 1 gin to 2 tonic.

So the tonic 150 ml. gin (bombay sapphire) 75 ml. small squeeze fresh lime juice, 2 small rocks.

( Wifey said that is the ratio her Dad would have)

Gosh. A different drink altogether. More of a sipper, than a refreshing ‘chucks it down’ drink.

Wife raised her eyebrows when I proudly showed her my G&T...
(I set ‘em up, you knock ‘em down...)

Much to my surprise, I found a bottle of Tanqueray export, unopened. So after this one, the next (and probably my last ;)) gin & tonic will be the Tanqueray.
(there are a few others with summat in them? cucumber or lord knows what, they are lurking about somewhere, new fangled hoodiddy)

Wife also came back from shopping with a fab jar of tiny cocktail onions.
(I am like a pig in sheet)

Listening to Dirty Harry OST.

I have just realised it is Saturday. :( Wife will be glued to the TV watching end-of-the-pier BBC tripe. o_O

mmm... booze, stereo, huge amount of music.

Sounds like a recipe for ear delights.

The gin and tonic is really spot on.

I've never had a hangover from drinking spirits or wine, but beer does it. I'm a lightweight anyway, especially since retiring (much work-related activity was fuelled by alcohol).

I never really liked the pints in a pub thing. (I don’t think I ever had pub mates, or that many friends )
I did have a few years as a regular in my local (camra approved) real ale pub, but I wasn’t in the best of places at that time. Great anecdotes, bad time..

There is a member of our extended family who has issues with alcohol. I sympathise with you. It is challenging at times. I hope you don’t see this thread as a glorification of something that is a serious issue that affects many people. The thread is a selfish way of letting off some steam during a particularly stressful time, in my case.

I had plenty of pub mates of all ages but I wouldn't call them real friends, a lot of the old boys were great craic.

Thanks, it's a lot more challenging when they are drinking and pretty much fine when they're not, funny old thing, how some can take or leave it and yet for others it becomes a burden

I never really liked the pints in a pub thing

we love the pub thing. Despite our locals being a 'spoons (beer is actually ok) and a terrible for beer McMullens pub, we are still regulars....

I like to spend time with characters like Tesco Dave, who spends all his free time in the 'spoons, buys 4 pints of John Smiths at a time for himself, and either drinks 12 or 16 pints 3 or 4 times a week.

we love the pub thing. Despite our locals being a 'spoons (beer is actually ok) and a terrible for beer McMullens pub, we are still regulars....

I like to spend time with characters like Tesco Dave, who spends all his free time in the 'spoons, buys 4 pints of John Smiths at a time for himself, and either drinks 12 or 16 pints 3 or 4 times a week.

I understand exactly what you mean about spending time with characters.

Without realising it, at one point, I was one of those characters.

I used to get a telephone call from the pub in the morning to remind me to pick up the bag/clothes/[insert absolutely anything] that I had left in the pub the night before.

Audiophile Alert: I used to drink (heavily) with a bloke who worked at Nottingham Analogue. The times we had.
(not too much detail as this is public consumption)

I can still see him, falling into his stereo. Piano black huge lowther speakers, and of course an insanely heavy Nottingham Analogue deck. the platter looked 4 to 6” thick. Bonkers.

It is Saturday and still the weekend. ;)

I need another stomach tablet thingy, and need to eat before I start drinking today, yesterday I was lucky to avoid major guts ache.
Also, evening meal yesterday was homemade roast tomato and pepper soup with sourdough, today I need something substantial.
I think Wife is making pork schnitzel using Panko and dauphinoise potatoes, probably with a side of finely chopped cabbage drowning in butter. That sounds like an excellent base for a second excursion into the booze cabinet.

Wife has gone shopping. I have requested a jar of those tiny cocktail onions...:)

She says that she is getting some Morrisons champagne because it has won some prize for being tasty. Personally, I think that the Aldi expensive stuff (£20 ish) is ace.

Need another bag of ice...

Bother, read that 3 hours after a shopping trip to Aldi. All not lost though, managed to get a bottle of their Greyson's (used to be Oliver Cromwell) gin. Not top drawer but very agreeable.

Mamod, out of reach for me as a kid but was fascinated seeing my pal's.

Cider, now that's more my thing! Have you tried fried sausages casseroled with onions, carrots, stock and cider all with mash and a good glass or 4 of cider?
I've started brewing cider from supermarket apple juice, it's great. Optimised the process over lockdown, got it taped now. I can complete it in 2 weeks, but it's better if I take 3-4, especially with the cooler weather. No sulphites, I add fresh apple juice when serving if I want to add sweetness. 10% added juice upon serving gives about 1% added sugar, which makes for a pleasant drink akin to the commercial dry ciders.

advertisement

Back