advertisement

Not that I’m counting:

Four are all clear and two wish they could keep up with the big boys :D.

Good effort lads.

(Btw, these days I can have 2 pints and have a headache, I obviously need to practice more!)

The trouble is that if I could afford it, I could quite easily become a qualified alcoholic!

The best party I ever was at was a wedding in Poland in 2006. One of only two English guest of the Polish Bride and Groom.

I was hosted by another Polish work colleague, and we arrived at the Pension, where the party was to happen, the evening before the wedding. We did not stop till the wedding itself! Right through the night. That was the first day of a three day party. On the first night of the reception proper I went to bed at seven am, and was at the breakfast BBQ at eleven! The second official night of the party there were few left by four in the morning, but the Groom's father asked me over to the top table. He started by proposing a toast to England, in my honour I suppose, but I said we make it Poland, and England. In reality we had three quick shots of Spiritus [double strength Vodka] that should have felled me, but I was mellow, and it made no difference. They said they doubted if I was really English. I had to admit to being half-Norwegian. That explains it. In the Polish World view the only nations that can hold a candle to Poland on Vodka drinking are Russia, and Norway, Finland and Sweden!

At the end I went to bed about six, and by eleven we were heading back to my workmate's parent's house a hundred miles away. I doubt that he or his girlfriend would have passed a breath test! My goodness, I could hardly imagine repeating that though. I was fine, but stayed clear of anything alcoholic for a good month afterwards! Just did not fancy it. But fortunately a bottle of the Spiritus came to me - smuggled from the party by the Groom for me! That was consumed even before I left his house to collect it!

Happy days and no harm done! George
The neat trick with polish weddings, and what makes them take off at around the time UK weddings wind up and everybody goes home, is the pacing.

Food continues to be served at sensible intervals throughout the night to help soak up the carafes of vodka. That and forced participation in some ridiculous dance every so often gets allows you to survive.

After a few hours sleep you are usually invited to return in the early afternoon to eat up left overs and resume drinking. Good fun but exhausting!

Glad everyone had a good night, I joined in with white wine, then a couple of whisky straight up, but stopped early.
Same again tonight anyone? I’m back to work on Monday so can’t play after that.

After extensive research over decades I'm pretty sure that hangovers are caused more (within reason) by mixing of drinks than quantity. Particularly grape with grain.
Clearing out the stomach Roman style must help if you do it early enough but that is something I've hardly ever been able to do.
Not sure that lack of hangover after a big booze is a good sign or not...
Can now see that the wine thread is for lightweights :)

Last edited:
Glad everyone had a good night, I joined in with white wine, then a couple of whisky straight up, but stopped early.
Same again tonight anyone? I’m back to work on Monday so can’t play after that.

It is Saturday and still the weekend. ;)

I need another stomach tablet thingy, and need to eat before I start drinking today, yesterday I was lucky to avoid major guts ache.
Also, evening meal yesterday was homemade roast tomato and pepper soup with sourdough, today I need something substantial.
I think Wife is making pork schnitzel using Panko and dauphinoise potatoes, probably with a side of finely chopped cabbage drowning in butter. That sounds like an excellent base for a second excursion into the booze cabinet.

Wife has gone shopping. I have requested a jar of those tiny cocktail onions...:)

She says that she is getting some Morrisons champagne because it has won some prize for being tasty. Personally, I think that the Aldi expensive stuff (£20 ish) is ace.

Need another bag of ice...

"Vodka is a very deceptive drink, because you drink it and you think, "What is this? This is pointless! It's - you can't taste it, you can't smell it... Why did we waste our money on this, bloody - why are we on a traffic island?"
Dylan Moran.

The last time I was "tipsy" was about 7 or 8 years ago at a wedding. I'm now tea total (by choice) in support of someone who has no choice in the matter. I don't miss it at all, having said that I never liked drinking in the home but really enjoyed skulling pints in the local (as long as the craic was good)

"Vodka is a very deceptive drink, because you drink it and you think, "What is this? This is pointless! It's - you can't taste it, you can't smell it... Why did we waste our money on this, bloody - why are we on a traffic island?"
Dylan Moran.

I always thought vodka gave the least hangover provided you didn't mix it with other alcohol.

After extensive research over decades I'm pretty sure that hangovers are caused more (within reason) by mixing of drinks than quantity. Particularly grape with grain.
Clearing out the stomach Roman style must help if you do it early enough but that is something I've hardly ever been able to do.
Not sure that lack of hangover after a big booze is a good sign or not...
Can now see that the wine thread is for lightweights :)

I'm sure there's something in that. However, these days a single bottle of hefty (14%..ish) Red can leave me in a state of regret. I am rather persuaded by the argument propounded in a late 1960s edition of New Scientist. Said article proposed that, in essence, the darker coloured drinks tended to have higher hangover potential, since the colour comprised mixes of alkaloids, which the body would have to deal with in addition to the alcohol. That theoretically would indicate that clear drinks such as Vodka and Gin ought to create less hangover per accompanied unit of alcohol, than say..Dark Rum, Port, Red Wine etc.

That said, much as I like Gin..I always find more than a couple give me a headache. I blame the Juniper... or the Quinine in the tonic.. :rolleyes:

Read and tremble: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/quinine-side-effects.html

advertisement

Back