advertisement

totally and that is a light evening on the gin.

Try a deliciously dry Gibson made with Strane uncut

2020-11-20_08-56-10 by uh_simon, on Flickr

3 measures of gin
1 tsp vermouth - kiss the ice and pour off
add gin, and a pipette of onion juice
stir over ice
pour into frozen martini glass, garnish with Campari soaked silver skin onions

okay, I did a big slosh of Bombay Sapphire, a bit of vermouth, a bit of silverskin onion juice amd a couple of onions, juggled it with ice. It tastes strong. Wife says that it tastes like alcohol.

I am just amazed that I found some silverskin onions in the pantry.

I think I am getting there. Wife has asked for a cup of tea, the appropriate answer being that ‘you know where the kettle is then...’

Papillon gin

very floral, with a good hit of citrus. Garnish with lemon, could rim with lemon. Not sure what the cucumber brings to the party. If I can find the bottle I'll give it ago with lemon and cucumber tomorrow- if I don't get distracted by Negroni's

As long as it is well chilled.

If I open a bottle of fizz that isn’t that nice, a slug of brandy livens it up. Brandy Top ?
(or Rum) I treat it like lemonade. mmmm cherry brandy with cava on top. glugs.
See if you can get your hands on a bottle of Macvin du Jura. Not as fizzy, but it has the kick.

Good work by all. I had a couple of Proper Jobs earlier then a G+T with a Boodles before supper (love really dry gins). Now on a Ripasso before a nightcap later, fancy a Bowmore tonight.

I have Martini sweats now, or it might be the dozen silverskin onions ? Shoved a bag of crisps down to soak up some of the fluids.
Really glad I took an omeprazole today as I reckon a night of reflux is knocking on my door, but I am not going to let the swine in.
Just one onion and the martini dregs left before I flake. Not bad to say we started about 4pm.

Sounds like a good evening. You (your fault!) started us all on this slippery slope a few hours ago. I've stuck to stella, sauvignon blanc and chenin blanc but I'm a lightweight. Really puts the drunken burghers of pfm in a new light!

One omeprazole wouldn't work for me after that lot!
It's the gin or the tonic that do for me.
JD is fine so it's boulevardiers for me.

My English Grandmother gave me the steam roller Mamod for Christmas 1972, and my brother the traction engine variant. For some reason mine steamed better and was quicker to boiling than my brother's. It ran on meths. Imagine letting millennials loose on this sort of thing. They'd burn the house down!

Halcyon days.

Best wishes from George

PS: It's Friday, and just cracked open a Co-op 2 litre bottle of classic dry cider.

Mamod, out of reach for me as a kid but was fascinated seeing my pal's.

Cider, now that's more my thing! Have you tried fried sausages casseroled with onions, carrots, stock and cider all with mash and a good glass or 4 of cider?

Sounds like a good evening. You (your fault!) started us all on this slippery slope a few hours ago. I've stuck to stella, sauvignon blanc and chenin blanc but I'm a lightweight. Really puts the drunken burghers of pfm in a new light!

I am nothing like proper drunken fool, ‘tipsy’ is a good description.

Now if my music buddy could come over and I could lash the ale, that would be a different album. He often vomits due to over indulgence. But then it wouldn’t be on pfm, and we would be just getting going by now.
Tonight I have kept off the beer, and stuck with sippers and self made alcopops. It has been fun, and I found out how much I like cherry brandy and lemonade .

Out of interest, we played the new Elvis Costello album, ‘Clockface’ this evening.
We don’t like it that much, both records are warped so it is going to be returned for a refund. ‘When I Was Cruel’ remains the house favourite Costello album.

A bottle of Ondarre Gran Reserva went down very well with this evenings bbq veg with Gibson sausage hot dogs. Home made freshly baked choc chip cookies and now finishing with a large (2" of Caol Ila

Lightweight by some standards but very nice

Crikey!! You lot start early!! Still.. I'm glad you started the thread as I'm sick of drinking alone....

No booze with dinner. Neither of us were much interested until I decided to do a couple of Chicken Breasts.... each sliced into about 4 thin pieces and pan fried with a couple of mushrooms. I chucked in a chicken stock pot thing and a large sprig of Rosemary from the garden. plus water..and let it simmer for a bit. Canned sweetcorn in a pan and a few oven chips. Proper gourmet stuff.... :D. Finally thickened the 'sauce' a bit with cornflour and added a little gravy browning as it was a bit too pale and translucent for my taste. It was now perfect and we both went rom being a bit jaded in the appetite dept. to thoroughly enjoying it... I completed my repast with a Salted Caramel Magnum. Class...

Then I dozed in front of the telly for a while..

I opened a bottle of 16 Little Black Pigs about 20 minutes ago. An Aussie Shiraz Cabernet which is about the best of an average mixed crate from Virgin. These days, a full bottle of wine leaves me wanting just a little more... maybe a little Brandy, which then leaves me more than sensibly hung over in the morning. So.. I'll limit it to half of the bottle and maybe a couple of doubles. I do use the same measure for all spirits. It's some sort of plastic measuring cup but I'd guess it's a 'generous' double.

I either drink good Brandy.. which for me is anything from Courvoisier up, with water.. Definitely NO ICE.. or cheap stuff in milk. The cheap stuff is hugely variable. There's one called Christian Dupre which was all I could get a couple of days back. Christ!! it was foul. It was even worse than Three Barrels.. and Domestos is better than Three Barrels...

My current fave cheap Brandy is called Jules Clairon. which is quite a leap considering it is bottled in Liverpool, presumably by the tanker load. But.. whilst it lacks the intensity and glow of a 'proper' brandy.. it is a smooth and very pleasant drink.

After necking almost a full bottle of Whiskey sometime in the 70s and having the Mother of all hangovers.. I laid off the stuff for ages until my daughter bought me a bottle of Teeling's Irish at about 46%. Wow! Lovely stuff and as smooth as a smooth thing. I may be cured.

Just preparing my brain for a virtual pub quiz with the aid of Cheddar Ales Potholer.

'Potholer'? Bloody cheek. No potholes in the Mendips. Caves with sumps and no pitches more than about 20 feet. Potholes are in Yorks.. and a few baby ones in Derbys. :p

Ok, what was everyone's introduction to ethanol?

My parents almsot never drank - just a very little around Christmas - dad was Guiness and mum liked advocaat.

We were given Port and Lemon.. or 'Snowballs' from a very early age. At about 13 I brewed up an Ellisdons Home Brew kit which made a gallon or so of stout from dry ingredients. It worked surprisingly well... :)

Cheers!!

One omeprazole wouldn't work for me after that lot!

You need to improve your meds...

Esomeprazole.. twice daily. And then use Gaviscon as your mixer.. Peppermint Gaviscon mixes beautifully with Creme De Menthe. Traditional Aniseed is just made for Sambuca/Ouzo/Turkish Raki/St Raphael/Ricard/Pernod.

:)

Ha!

No headache and amazingly no guts ache in the night.
(it is rare for me to have a hang over)

Wifelet made us both peppermint tea with honey at bedtime, I think that helped.

@Mullardman Yes, we started early, often I am knackered by around 10pm. Bizarrely, the drunker I get, the less inclined I am to go to bed. Glad we stopped when we did, I would have finished a jar of pickled onions otherwise :eek:

The trouble is that if I could afford it, I could quite easily become a qualified alcoholic!

The best party I ever was at was a wedding in Poland in 2006. One of only two English guest of the Polish Bride and Groom.

I was hosted by another Polish work colleague, and we arrived at the Pension, where the party was to happen, the evening before the wedding. We did not stop till the wedding itself! Right through the night. That was the first day of a three day party. On the first night of the reception proper I went to bed at seven am, and was at the breakfast BBQ at eleven! The second official night of the party there were few left by four in the morning, but the Groom's father asked me over to the top table. He started by proposing a toast to England, in my honour I suppose, but I said we make it Poland, and England. In reality we had three quick shots of Spiritus [double strength Vodka] that should have felled me, but I was mellow, and it made no difference. They said they doubted if I was really English. I had to admit to being half-Norwegian. That explains it. In the Polish World view the only nations that can hold a candle to Poland on Vodka drinking are Russia, and Norway, Finland and Sweden!

At the end I went to bed about six, and by eleven we were heading back to my workmate's parent's house a hundred miles away. I doubt that he or his girlfriend would have passed a breath test! My goodness, I could hardly imagine repeating that though. I was fine, but stayed clear of anything alcoholic for a good month afterwards! Just did not fancy it. But fortunately a bottle of the Spiritus came to me - smuggled from the party by the Groom for me! That was consumed even before I left his house to collect it!

Happy days and no harm done! George

advertisement

Back