advertisement

BBC Wales equipment auction

Given the bids are all exVAT and there's then a 15.5%+VAT buyers fee on top of the final sale price I have to admit I thought the prices of the items I looked at a few days ago were already way above what they are worth. It was only speakers I was looking at though, so the hot plate may well have been a bargain :)

How can it be a rip off if it’s an auction?

I couldn’t see £8k in it either, but presumably the bidders were happy to go that high, no one forced it on them.

It's still a rip off. More fool the buyer...

Off topic now but as someone said up thread the internet has unfortunately removed bargains other than in rare cases. No longer can you find say a Leak Stereo 20 in an old second hand shop for £30 or Quad ESL's with sign "pair of 50's convection heaters - £20". Everything will go for whatever the wealthiest bidders max bid is and I almost always find myself thinking "no way would I have paid THAT amount for one of THOSE!". A sellers market then really...

It's still a rip off. More fool the buyer...

Off topic now but as someone said up thread the internet has unfortunately removed bargains other than in rare cases. No longer can you find say a Leak Stereo 20 in an old second hand shop for £30 or Quad ESL's with sign "pair of 50's convection heaters - £20". Everything will go for whatever the wealthiest bidders max bid is and I almost always find myself thinking "no way would I have paid THAT amount for one of THOSE!". A sellers market then really...

convection heaters lol. Or 405s as fan heaters.

People get carried away in auctions. I've seen it happen in agricultural displenish sales. 30 years ago I remember a sale when a prominent local farmer retired. Well used wheelbarrows went for near new price, but the buyer could always say it came from the Barmuckity roup. I got caught up and nearly paid too much for some stuff at that sale, luckily someone bid more than me after I dropped out for the second time.

The rule of thumb for any auction, know what it's worth in the market and to you, set sensible limits and stick to them.

The rule of thumb for any auction, know what it's worth in the market and to you, set sensible limits and stick to them.

About a year after the first PP auction for BBC, I spotted a mobile equipment rack on Gumtree with a Quad 306, CD player etc that I recognised as a World Service special.
Quick bit of negotiation and bought it. When collecting, asked why etc. Hubby bought it from the auction, then decided he had no idea what to do with it! Got it for under half what they paid.

advertisement

Back