advertisement

BBC Wales equipment auction

This is frustrating not being able to travel. So many interesting items. I expect many will be vacumed up by traders.

Should be ok to bid and delay pickup. Bear in mind the buyer's premium and VAT add around 40% to the price.
There are lots of things my inner hoarder wants having already rescued a few broadcast bits from an office move earlier this year (Hint: the JVC DT-V21G looks good on paper but hates anything that isn't entirely to spec. It hates my mac on the DVI input and can't decide whether a full screen Youtube video is in RGB or YUV colourspace, and won't do the full 1920x1200 either. Grrr)

The 14" CRTs make great retro monitors for 8 bit enthusiasts.

Quote:
All 'Non Delayed' lots must be removed between TUESDAY 24th NOVEMBER & FRIDAY 11th DECEMBER 2020 (12.00noon). Due to the nature of the site, lots must be removed by prior appointment only (at least 48 hours notice - Tel: 01778 590111)

One down side to the internet is that there are no secrets any more, in the same way that there are no more bargains on eBay there will be no cheap gear to be had here.

Most of the prices are already way over what I'd be willing to risk paying. Madness.

I’ve been there today and was surprised with how tatty everything was. I won’t bidding on anything by the looks of things, crazy prices already.
The offer is still there to pick up anything that will fit in my car (check with me first as I don’t want to be inundated).

The prices don't seem to have jumped on all the pro gear. There's an AKG 422 stereo valve mic still at £175. Worth close to £2k.

I’ve been there today and was surprised with how tatty everything was. I won’t bidding on anything by the looks of things, crazy prices already.
The offer is still there to pick up anything that will fit in my car (check with me first as I don’t want to be inundated).

You only think that the prices are high now, wait until 30 mins before the end. In the BBC World Service auction, your eyes would have popped out and be impossible to put back in your sockets.

Am I correct in thinking the price reached for an item was the last price seen online?

I can't seem to see the final price, there may be a way but I can't find it. I can only comment on the items I was bidding on but I fid them to be extremely high.

There’s something mystical about the auction... no matter how many times I make a bid, it always goes up. I cannot seem to win anything. It’s like going to the fairground and trying to wins teddy bear.

Am I correct in thinking the price reached for an item was the last price seen online?

I’m not entirely sure I understand your question. If an item has a bid made within the last few minutes, it adds another two minutes to the timer. Once the timer runs out, that’s the winning price, plus 15.5% and plus 20% vat. The item disappears from view at that point so it’s tricky to see the final price if you weren’t watching.

I was watching the Eventide H3000 but it went for silly money.

Ok I just watched an auction complete for a Revox PR99 reel to reel. The clock was counting down and every time there was a new bid 2 minutes was added. The machine in question completed for £320. With 15% on the bid price and VAT on the total it seemed a lot of money for what looked like a
quite poor ASC version. That said R2Rs do fetch silly money. I will have a look tomorrow to see how much people are bidding for the Studer decks though I won't be bidding!

I would like to be able to see how much already ended items realised. Does anyone know how?

I've emailed the auctioneers to ask if there's a way to see the prices.

If you don't get a reply from them in time, give them a call. I spoke to someone in their office today with a similar question when I couldn't work out where to see things I had won. Turns out I just hadn't won anything... :)

In any case, they were very helpful.

i live half a mile from this bbc building, prime land for new houses in sought after area £££££
they have moved to new bbc studios in central cardiff, all state of the art kit funded by us!!

advertisement

Back