advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Queen's Gambit last night - really good if, ultimately, quite conventional.

Later episodes relied a bit too much on musical montage sequences, but there is some good character work (e.g. the relationship with the adopted mother), and it does a good job of representing chess, and the intense geekery that surrounds it, accurately.

Finished Queen's Gambit last night - really good if, ultimately, quite conventional.

Later episodes relied a bit too much on musical montage sequences, but there is some good character work (e.g. the relationship with the adopted mother), and it does a good job of representing chess, and the intense geekery that surrounds it, accurately.
I thought I'd try it out, not expecting to last more than one episode, but ended up watching the lot. I found the ending particularly nice, the rejection of political stunts in high places for people with a simple love of the game. I liked the fact that, in that final scene, she actually looked somewhat like a queen chess piece!

The Song of Names on Netflix about the relationships and disappearance of a Jewish Violinist starring two of my Favourite UK actors Tim Roth and Clive Owen

Barbaren on Netflix.... a German Sword & Sandals mini-series based on the events around "Hermann the German" and the massacre of a Roman army in the Teutoburger Forest in 9CE. Not bad, not brilliant - but a cut above the last couple of series of The Last Kingdom or Vikings if you like this sort of thing.

We finished watching The Queen's Gambit last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a pleasure to see men being portrayed as being nice, and not all complete bastards, and Russians being friendly folk, which of course they are. A satisfying ending too.

Barbaren on Netflix.... a German Sword & Sandals mini-series based on the events around "Hermann the German" and the massacre of a Roman army in the Teutoburger Forest in 9CE. Not bad, not brilliant - but a cut above the last couple of series of The Last Kingdom or Vikings if you like this sort of thing.
Enjoyed it too, pity shows usually go off the boil, the first couple of seasons of Vikings were excellent

The Disappearance at Clifton Hill on Netflix is rather good if you like small-scale thrillers. David Cronenberg is in it and it has a fine score.

If you're a fan of Spaced, comedy-horry Truth Seekers with Nick Frost is excellent and on Prime.

The Cast is terrific with Frost, Malcolm McDowell, Simon Pegg, Julian Barratt, Kevin Eldon and Morgana Robinson.

Be warned though, it is a really dark comedy ...

Stephen
Nice to see Malcolm McDowell who still has that louche throwaway acting style that gripped me in the Seventies. If and Oh Lucky Man we’re favourites of mine at the time. Still has that dangerous uninhibited style.

Enjoyed Queen's Gambit here too, miss it now we've finished it.
It's a winner, especially if you have some familiarity with chess.

I found out today it's based on a novel by Walter Tevis, who also wrote The Man who Fell to Earth, The Hustler and The Color of Money.

We finished watching The Queen's Gambit last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a pleasure to see men being portrayed as being nice, and not all complete bastards, and Russians being friendly folk, which of course they are. A satisfying ending too.
Yes, it really was good

It's a winner, especially if you have some familiarity with chess.

I found out today it's based on a novel by Walter Tevis, who also wrote The Man who Fell to Earth, The Hustler and The Color of Money.
That is some list of writing credits!

I know very little about chess but loved it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back