advertisement

Fortune telling

P.S. this is Khan cat.

31103518506_20c3dbf001_c.jpg

Joe

Joe P,

Got it.

But hey, two cute kitties in less than two hours. If my theory is correct, mebbe a shot across the bows to warn Tony about spamming up the thread? That'll learn him.

John

ps. Do we get a third for my thread crapping? :p

It's nonsense, but here's a tale. My grandfather was in the Army pre WW2. Out one night with his mates when he in serving in India they had a few drinks and saw a fortune teller. What the hell, a bit of fun. So he paid his modest sum, the Indian fortune teller gave him the mumbo-jumbo and he came out laughing with his mates and saying what nonsense it all was but they'd had a laugh. The guy said that he'd come back to India one day. No fear, said my Grandad, my time's nearly up and I'm done with the Army, I'm going back down the pit. He said he'd have 5 children. Oh yeah, sure I will, and me not even courting. He said he'd live to 88. Fat chance, 88? A miner born pre WW1?

It seems our Indian chap could guess rather well. A few years after my grandfather returned to the UK and was demobbed, WW2 was declared and he was called up as a reservist. He had time in France and was injured, not in combat but he avoided Dunkirk. Back home to recover. Served in India eh? Right, back you go, NCO in an officers ' mess. That was WW2 dealt with. He married and had 4 children. Ah, only 4? Well, 4 living ones, a 5th was stillborn. On the last, making it to 88, he died 2 months before his 88th birthday.

So it's nonsense, but have another look at that set of wild guesses and coincidence s. No, I don't know either.

Joe P,

OMG! I'm prescient! I fortold the future - a third kitty. There's something to all this 'fortune telling' malarky, after all. Just need to figure out how to monetise my new found psychic abilities. . . (bear with me, I'm working on it).

John

John,

I think the difficult part is getting people to pay you to guess how many cats they have.

Oliver is a new cat, but there’s a story to that. The kiddo has been having an extra difficult time with the lockdown, pandemic, school, life, etc. And to feel better about stuff she was spending an inordinate amount of time on the local Humane Society site, looking at cats.

Next thing you know...

Joe

John,

I think the difficult part is getting people to pay you to guess how many cats they have.

Oliver is a new cat, but there’s a story to that. The kiddo has been having an extra difficult time with the lockdown, pandemic, school, life, etc. And to feel better about stuff she was spending an inordinate amount of time on the local Humane Society site, looking at cats.

Next thing you know...

Joe

Cool! Oliver has clearly gone to a good home. (Assuming Bitey doesn't give him a hard time, of course.) Sorry to hear about your kiddo, here's hoping she gets back on an even keel and copes better in these troubling times.

As for - 'pay you to guess how many cats they have'. How dare you Sir! Guess?! I don't guess - I psychic!*

Farcebook here I come.

*(It may take a me a hundred attempts to get it right, but I'm worth every damn penny. This thread proves it.)

John

John,

Sorry, make that say with absolute certainty how many cats you have.

That's a money maker if ever I saw one.

Joe

It is sufficient to say that I have a pack of tarot cards that I do not use, because... reasons.
Also, I will not read your palms for you, even though I could, because... reasons.

I am a hard-nosed mathematical scientist, by inclination and qualifications, experienced and qualified in mechanical matters, with a humanities degree.
And I can solve Einstein's riddle.
Still... reasons.

It's nonsense, but here's a tale. My grandfather was in the Army pre WW2. Out one night with his mates when he in serving in India they had a few drinks and saw a fortune teller. What the hell, a bit of fun. So he paid his modest sum, the Indian fortune teller gave him the mumbo-jumbo and he came out laughing with his mates and saying what nonsense it all was but they'd had a laugh. The guy said that he'd come back to India one day. No fear, said my Grandad, my time's nearly up and I'm done with the Army, I'm going back down the pit. He said he'd have 5 children. Oh yeah, sure I will, and me not even courting. He said he'd live to 88. Fat chance, 88? A miner born pre WW1?

It seems our Indian chap could guess rather well. A few years after my grandfather returned to the UK and was demobbed, WW2 was declared and he was called up as a reservist. He had time in France and was injured, not in combat but he avoided Dunkirk. Back home to recover. Served in India eh? Right, back you go, NCO in an officers ' mess. That was WW2 dealt with. He married and had 4 children. Ah, only 4? Well, 4 living ones, a 5th was stillborn. On the last, making it to 88, he died 2 months before his 88th birthday.

So it's nonsense, but have another look at that set of wild guesses and coincidence s. No, I don't know either.
The strange thing is, he died at 87 and had 4 children. 1 out of three is not a great prediction. We want it to be true, but.....

It is sufficient to say that I have a pack of tarot cards that I do not use, because... reasons.
Also, I will not read your palms for you, even though I could, because... reasons.

I am a hard-nosed mathematical scientist, by inclination and qualifications, experienced and qualified in mechanical matters, with a humanities degree.
And I can solve Einstein's riddle.
Still... reasons.

Glendower: I can call the spirits from the vasty deep.

Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
But will they come, when you do call for them?

advertisement

Back