advertisement

EHRC report into Labour

It's great to see people focusing on the report, and reflecting on the issues it raises for each of us personally, whatever the institutions we belong to, and our own politics, in the shared struggle against antisemitism.

All Corbyn and all those that uncritically support him had to do was apologise and shut up. Or just shut up.

But the same thinking that gives rise to the anti-semitic tropes (e.g. that the suggestions of anti-semitism come from the 'Israel lobby') drives the same 'right wing/media plot against Corbyn' thinking that's so prevalent amongst him and his supporters. This conspiratorial thinking prevents any self-reflection or treatment of the criticism as a valid assessment of leadership.

Worse than this, it effectively means that those that weren't anti-semitic within the party lost any moral ability to deal with the issue, since criticism of anti-semitism was criticism of the leader, who is above reproach in all things in the eyes of the acolytes.

Rather than deal with the complaints, the complainants are undermined and criticised, which is exactly what Corbyn did in his response and why he had to be suspended.
The people who refused to deal with AS in Labour were those plotting against Corbyn. It was only when a Corbyn supporter was in charge of the body responsible for investigating AS, that actions against AS were started.

It's great to see people focusing on the report, and reflecting on the issues it raises for each of us personally, whatever the institutions we belong to, and our own politics, in the shared struggle against antisemitism.

And who do we have to thank for the distraction?

Meanwhile Boris can **** up brexit and run UK plc into the ground, continue to struggle to control the virus?
And 2024 election is already in the bag, he must be chuckling to himself.

And who do we have to thank for the distraction?
Well that's ****ing moot isn't it.

Anyway, right now it's me so I'm going to do what I promised I'd do and shut up. I note that a lot of people seem to be recommending this course of action to others and to one person in particular, but don't seem to think that implies anything for them personally. And you know, that can be said about a lot of things around this particular topic.

Well that's ****ing moot isn't it.

Anyway, right now it's me so I'm going to do what I promised I'd do and shut up. I note that a lot of people seem to be recommending this course of action to others and to one person in particular, but don't seem to think that implies anything for them personally. And you know, that can be said about a lot of things around this particular topic.

If only Corbyn could've done this. But you're right, we should be talking about the root cause. Until I read the report later, I'll just say..

Chris: So Jeremy, for £100, if you tweet that you don't agree with everything in the EHRC report half an hour after it gets published, will it?
a) do nothing ..will it?
b) distract from the report, undermine the party message and create division ..will it?
c) do nowt ..or will it?
d) pumpkin

<audience laughter>

Jeremy: <pause> I'll go 50:50 if I can please Chris.

Chris: <takes deep breath and crosses legs> Okaaay...

I joined a union four weeks ago upon starting a new job. This morning the branch rep emailed members to say supporters of Starmer aren't welcome in the union. So I've left.

With an attitude like this, it’s no surprise that Labour have been struggling. Tories might not be nice but they have their eye on the ball. If you are in power then you set the agenda. If you are in opposition then you are reacting to events beyond your control.

If Labour had got its act together there would be no AS. The party that claims to represent the working person ie the majority of the population is more interested in politcal correctness and what looks like petty squabbles instead of focusing on what they should be doing which is to offer a creditable alternative to the Tories. Labour should be there for everybody, Jews, Muslims, people of all colours and backgrounds. Who you are and where you’re from shouldn’t matter.

As I’ve got older (and wealthier) I should be voting Tory. However, I can see that they are causing enormous damage so I don’t vote for them. My MP is a Tory so I have zero representation (he even ignores my emails).

KS is the future for Labour. It’s clear to me that he wants to unify the party. It’s going to take time and a lot of hard work but disenfranchising groups such as Jews isn’t a million miles away from what happened in Germany all those years ago. What on earth do the anti-semites in the Labour party hope to achieve ?

I joined a union four weeks ago upon starting a new job. This morning the branch rep emailed members to say supporters of Starmer aren't welcome in the union. So I've left.
The branch rep doesn't speak for the union. He doesn't even speak for the branch unless so instructed by the members.

The people who refused to deal with AS in Labour were those plotting against Corbyn. It was only when a Corbyn supporter was in charge of the body responsible for investigating AS, that actions against AS were started.

Few people here know enough about it all to know the truth KS. I suspect they don't care either. They'd be happy with some Tory-Lite, Starmer Government as long as they themselves remain comfortable...

With an attitude like this, it’s no surprise that Labour have been struggling. Tories might not be nice but they have their eye on the ball. If you are in power then you set the agenda. If you are in opposition then you are reacting to events beyond your control.

If Labour had got its act together there would be no AS. The party that claims to represent the working person ie the majority of the population is more interested in politcal correctness and what looks like petty squabbles instead of focusing on what they should be doing which is to offer a creditable alternative to the Tories. Labour should be there for everybody, Jews, Muslims, people of all colours and backgrounds. Who you are and where you’re from shouldn’t matter.

As I’ve got older (and wealthier) I should be voting Tory. However, I can see that they are causing enormous damage so I don’t vote for them. My MP is a Tory so I have zero representation (he even ignores my emails).

KS is the future for Labour. It’s clear to me that he wants to unify the party. It’s going to take time and a lot of hard work but disenfranchising groups such as Jews isn’t a million miles away from what happened in Germany all those years ago. What on earth do the anti-semites in the Labour party hope to achieve ?
I think JS too intelligent not to know that he would be facing this issue and he would have planned ahead. These will be pre planned steps. I am sympathetic to Corbyn’s situation TBH but there needs to be a clean break so that an effective opposition can be formed.

The branch rep doesn't speak for the union. He doesn't even speak for the branch unless so instructed by the members.
But it makes you wonder about what sort of culture exists in that union for a rep to feel comfortable rejecting members because of their political views, doesn't it?

But it makes you wonder about what sort of culture exists in that union for a rep to feel comfortable rejecting members because of their political views, doesn't it?

Makes me wonder why anyone would want to pay subs to a party that quite obviously doesn't support them. It really is time for the unions to establish a proper opposition party.

Few people here know enough about it all to know the truth KS. I suspect they don't care either.

FWIW from a personal perspective I certainly don’t. Corbyn’s stance (or total lack thereof) on Brexit and the rise of truly vile ethnic nationalism told me everything I needed to know about the man and the party he represented, as did his total lack of support shown to some Jewish MPs suffering abuse (Berger etc). Similarly the recent abstentions on terrifyingly authoritarian Tory bills and the lack of support for teachers and health-workers during the pandemic tells me everything I need to know about the party Starmer leads. Why care about a party which is so clearly unfit for purpose? I’d have to be in a hopelessly close Tory marginal to even consider voting Labour when there are other way more progressive and decent options to be found on the ballot paper.

advertisement

Back