advertisement

I was 55 yesterday, what’s ahead?

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
So Sloop John B was 55 yesterday.

Married, 3 kids.........

I’ve come to realise there’s a great amount of experience on PFM and not just musical or audio centric.

Maybe it’s COVID but this seems more a landmark than previous birthdays.

I’m interested in paths taken, paths not taken, regrets or good decisions made at this (or similar) points in your life.

I don’t know if I’m looking for specific advice, I probably don’t really know why I’m posting this. I suppose I don’t want to be 10 years on with major regrets and welcome any experiences good or bad to help me chart my way.

.sjb

A sticky slope to God's waiting room. Once you hit 70 the body starts reacting to the abuse you gave it in earlier life.
Retire, if you can, asap. Find an active hobby cycling, rambling etc.
Get yourself a dog so that you have to get off your arse at least twice a day.
The good old bucket list will set you some targets so you have something to strive or achieve.

Dear SJB,

Many Happy Returns! As for advice, well ...

I shall be 59 in December, and I can tell you that your body will let you know how much hard physical work or abuse you have given it long before 70!

But in my view the crucial thing is personal friends. As you get older the really good ones get more important, and the fluffy ones simply get out of the way. Look after your remaining friends! And of course look after yourself.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Get a thorough medical done, 55 is when a lot of cancers and other medical problems start to appear and are almost always treatable if caught early

I’m on the cusp of 55. I’m also married with 3 kids. This has been a transformative year for me and with Covid it’s forced me to think ahead more rapidly than I would usually do. I will retire early, aiming for 60. Were sorting finances etc. and aim to buy a mobile home and travel. We want to do this regularly, locally and abroad.We want to spend more time with our kids. I’ll get a part time manual job(I did work for Amazon which was fine) to help us tick along and my wife will move further into her consultancy role where she can do less for the same wage. I’d also like to do something voluntary if I can. That’s our plan.

Last edited:
It’s all downhill from here!. I’ve just deleted a four paragraph rant at 04.46 gmt that I’d likely regret later today!

I guess if you have your health, family and friends you’re doing better than many.

I am 55.

You have about 25 - 30 years of life left.

Be selfish.

Don’t waste time on things you have no control over.

Swear loudly at least once a day.

My parents are both 92, so retiring early looks like a bad idea, especially when pension pot growth is going to be very slow, while food and medical costs soar.
Family history has to affect your plans.

Think about where you are living - the building and the district and town.
Not something that you see yourself being in, in 20 years? If so, make plans and act as soon as reasonably possible. House moves in your 60's and later just get more and more horrendous.

I would make comment about financial provision, but 55 is far too old unless you are earning pots right now. You can, at least in the UK, and probably Eire too, get a very good idea what time has in store financially.

As already said, if you can retire, RETIRE, asap, if inclined and happy to do so.

At 54 I took early retirement from my job of 38yrs, ( I’m quite lucky with my pension pot) & took a 3 day a week job doing something I enjoy to keep busy & to help with the bills.
Sadly, I’ve started attending a lot more funerals than other functions over the last couple of years, which focuses attention on “enjoying what you can when you can“ because you don’t know what’s just around the corner.
If you haven’t already done so, get your will done. Seriously.

I'm 52 and, having previously retired briefly at 50, have set 55 as my new retirement age - so oddly enough am quite looking forward to reaching that age!

advertisement

Back