advertisement

Online sellers... pet hates

Jimin

pfm Member
People who advertise turntables with arms then at the bottom of the advert say 'Arm not included' - It shouldn't be in the photo then!

People who advertise turntables with arms then at the bottom of the advert say 'Arm not included' - It shouldn't be in the photo then!

Disagree, assuming that it's described correctly. If I were selling a deck only, I wouldn't want to take the arm off before I had to. There's also the other aspect that a deck with arm in situ looks better, i.m.o. and at least shows possibilities for arm selection and of course, which arm-board cut-out is included.

Companies to whom you pay a little more because they are the only one advertising the item as ‘in stock’... only to find once you have placed the order that they don’t have it either.
Just been done - showing in stock, paid and supposed to be delivered today, email in junk this morning be another 14 days blaming the manufacturer being swamped, it’s a MM cart from AT.

HiFi dealers that advertise ex dem deals which seem to always have sold that day when you enquire. There are now or two who are particularly bad at this.
Yeah I only look at their eBay sites now cos 2 or 3 times I’ve seen kit on the websites, emailed in and it’s already been sold, they can't be arsed updating their own site.

Disagree, assuming that it's described correctly. If I were selling a deck only, I wouldn't want to take the arm off before I had to. There's also the other aspect that a deck with arm in situ looks better, i.m.o. and at least shows possibilities for arm selection and of course, which arm-board cut-out is included.

Yes if it's clear in the description, like I said. 'Turntable for sale, no arm included' is fine. The ads where you have to actively search to find out if the arm is included - because you do need to make sure - are not on, for me.

Of course the deck looks better with an arm on, which is why some sellers leave it on, despite it not being part of the deal. Misleading advertising, is what it is.

Yeah I only look at their eBay sites now cos 2 or 3 times I’ve seen kit on the websites, emailed in and it’s already been sold, they can't be arsed updating their own site.

I think it's more that they leave them up as 'click bait'. They know many will search on "product xyz ex dem'; leaving their so called ex dem models on line means they will likely get an e-mail, which they can then say 'well, that one sold yesterday, but just look what we do have', kind of approach.

Yes I have noticed that recently, you know it's not there because someone on here has bought it but they still have it listed !!!

Discogs sellers that can't read or follow basic record grading guidance. Instant neg from me these days, irrespective of how they handle it.

Found an interesting item on eBay last week but no address as a private seller. Checked other items to find tens of thousands of pounds worth of gear. Quick online search showed them as a dealer with premises, mmm interesting!

I also remember checking online about three years ago and I had 35 active dealers within a 35 mile distance from me. All buying and reselling via Gumtree and the Bay, I haven’t bought a bit of used kit since!

I think it's more that they leave them up as 'click bait'. They know many will search on "product xyz ex dem'; leaving their so called ex dem models on line means they will likely get an e-mail, which they can then say 'well, that one sold yesterday, but just look what we do have', kind of approach.
Yes, there’s a certain pair of speakers I keep seeing.

Online Buyers: pet hates

1. amazon customers that say there was nothing in the box and then initiate an A2Z claim.
2. people who send stuff back and refuse to say why.
3. people that break the product and then say it arrived damaged
4. people that ask for money off because two things can go in the same box, even though there is no postage charged
5. people that are rude.
6. people that ask us to take the product out of the packaging to take high res pics of the innards and then don't buy it
7. amazon customers that demand a refund because the postal service did not deliver in time
8. ebay customers that threaten negative feedback if we don't offer a partial refund
9. instagram users with 500 followers that ask us to send them free stuff because they are influencers
10. forum or facebook group owners that ask for discount codes.

I've only just got going here.......

These days there are three trends emerging that are beginning to seriously hack me off.

1) Online stores that say item in stock, place order in the next n hours for next day delivery and then email you the next day to say the item you ordered yesterday is out of stock. False advertising in my book and I have turned three into Trading Standards for that recently.

2) Online stores that advertise a product, send you something different, claim it's the same, when you dig in and say it's not they ask you to return it at your expense and then when you dig in about that collect said item and then don't refund you without you hassling them for it several times. Have two underfloor heating companies that have done that recently and a tool supplier... all reported to Trading Standards. One of them I had to do a section 75 with the credit card company as they kept saying they would refund and just didn't.

3) Amazon Prime - will deliver tomorrow, item turns up 4 days later... happened occasionally at first, now becoming the norm.

3) Amazon Prime - will deliver tomorrow, item turns up 4 days later... happened occasionally at first, now becoming the norm.
Yup, starting to bug me too, that one. I don't mind paying Amazon's price (knowing I could probably do better if I shopped around a bit) if I want something the next day. When it arrives the day after, or two days after, that's taking the mick. Especially when the delivery promise at point of checkout says one thing, and the confirmation email says another. I'm going to start screenshotting the checkout page, I think.

advertisement

Back