advertisement

How can I pimp up an Elac Miracord 50?

benjaminreed1

Benjamin Reed
Hi - I have a Miracord 50, from 2018.

It's completely silent and well made (German), speed is good, but I'm not getting excited about the sound at all.

I tried a couple of cartridges (Nagaoka MP110 and Goldring Elektra)- but still pretty uninspiring.The Goldring had better bass but the Nag was much better with jazz. I mostly listen to jazz and prog rock.

I added the Schiit Mani preamp - didnt notice any difference from the built-in phono stage.

Any tips on how to make it better? Or should I move it on and aim higher.

thanks
Ben

How is it supported? Many moons ago I had a Rega P3 with RB600 and ATF5 cartridge and it sounded quite boring. It was on a dedicated Rega wall-shelf. However putting inverted cones (Michell Tenderfeet I think they were called) under each of the feet brought some bite back into the music. I still use inverted cones on the Transcriptors on my Avatar. In fact I think even the previous owner "fitted" them, though I can't remember for sure.

How is it supported? Many moons ago I had a Rega P3 with RB600 and ATF5 cartridge and it sounded quite boring. It was on a dedicated Rega wall-shelf. However putting inverted cones (Michell Tenderfeet I think they were called) under each of the feet brought some bite back into the music. I still use inverted cones on the Transcriptors on my Avatar. In fact I think even the previous owner "fitted" them, though I can't remember for sure.
Thanks Rana, it has those rubber feet that come on the cheaper turntables. I'll try some cones and see what happens. The actual turntable is made really well, actually prefer it to my old RP6 in terms of build and speed. But the tonearm is cheap and it not upgradable -(

Hi - I have a Miracord 50, from 2018.

It's completely silent and well made (German), speed is good, but I'm not getting excited about the sound at all.

I tried a couple of cartridges (Nagaoka MP110 and Goldring Elektra)- but still pretty uninspiring.The Goldring had better bass but the Nag was much better with jazz. I mostly listen to jazz and prog rock.

I added the Schiit Mani preamp - didnt notice any difference from the built-in phono stage.

Any tips on how to make it better? Or should I move it on and aim higher.

thanks
Ben
Test record to check optimum to trackingg weight and bias, alignment gauge for setting cartridge angle and position in headshell, then move up the mm cartridge range to better cantilever materials and diamond.

Test record to check optimum to trackingg weight and bias, alignment gauge for setting cartridge angle and position in headshell, then move up the mm cartridge range to better cantilever materials and diamond.
Ok great thanks, any recommendations on test record? cheers

advertisement

Back