advertisement

What sort of discount for "ex-demo"?

Tryant

pfm Member
What sort of discount should be expected for buying "ex-demo"? Is there a standard discount or does this vary a lot? Ta

Something around 25% would be "normal", based on my buyer's memory.

Like anything in life though - it will be at the seller's discretion, and near certainly depend on the full price, new - cheap new ain't going to be giveaway ex-dem'.

Hugely variable.

Depends on

How popular the item is
How old the dem one is
What condition it's in
Whether it's still current spec
Used prices for similar items
What the dealer mark up is
How expensive it is
What guarantees it comes with
Who the manufacturer is and their support levels

You'd be lucky to get 10% to 15% off a popular current spec budget item but I've had 50% off discontinued things.

Depends on condition above all else. I got a £2k pair of speakers for less than a quarter of that because one had a corner off. The price kept falling, nobody bit.

What sort of discount should be expected for buying "ex-demo"? Is there a standard discount or does this vary a lot? Ta

Certainly no standard.
Depends on what item and if discontinued.

Dealer margin varies extremely.
Maybe between 25-75%

If say 20-25% offered you might get a little more by negotiating.

Depends on the dealer. Most seem to reduce by around 30%, but I've experienced the odd dealer who seemed to think close to the MRP was ok. Needless to say I won't buy from that kind.

10% usually. These days ex-demo often means a customer has returned it within the rules for online returns. So it is effectively new. It’s not the ex-demo of old days which were genuine well-used demonstration pieces.

Does it matter if its five days open or 50? Its not like kit wears out unless its a cart. Once its unwrapped and plugged in its used. Marked is a different issue.

My usual dealer has a standard 20% off ex-demo gear with full manufacturer’s warranty, in as-new condition. For anything in less than perfect condition I would expect a better deal.
You should check the age of any demo gear, as popular items may well be a few years old and possibly well travelled if the dealer offers home demos. Not that this necessarily matters if the gear is in good condition and guaranteed.

These days ex-demo often means a customer has returned it within the rules for online returns. So it is effectively new

Surprised this is still called ex-demo. Bit of a misnomer in my book.

My usual dealer has a standard 20% off ex-demo gear with full manufacturer’s warranty, in as-new condition.

That equates to not paying the VAT (even if it's applicable to the used price). VAT is the immediate depreciation when buying at r.r.p. If paying VAT, the bigger the discount, the less tax.

If something is mint, boxed, etc etc why would a dealer need to offer much over 20% off?
Maybe a newer version coming out, maybe it’s been a slow seller?
Certain stuff like AV Amps from Denon, Yamaha etc seem to drop in price quite a lot during their lifespan, other stuff like Linn, Naim & other premium brands rarely seem to need to be heavily discounted.

Surprised this is still called ex-demo. Bit of a misnomer in my book.

That equates to not paying the VAT (even if it's applicable to the used price). VAT is the immediate depreciation when buying at r.r.p. If paying VAT, the bigger the discount, the less tax.

If you get 20% off the retail price you are saving slightly more than the VAT paid on the item.

advertisement

Back