advertisement

Croft phono + p3esr, streaming?

Have the recently purchased above system with a cca direct into the amp.
Vinyl and cds sound great, but I'm looking for advice on how to improve the sound from the Chromecast audio ( spotify).

Check your settings on Spotify ( I assume you’re paying for it not the freebie?), ensure everything is switched to highest EQ.There is a switch the equalises track volumes, turn it off.

You may find people that decry both CCA and Spotify but I find them very good with all things as above. Unrivalled at the price.

Next step would be buy a DAC something like a Topping E30 (£100 ish) connected by TosLink from CCA to DAC. Then decent quality interconnect from DAC to amp.

Gary

Forgot....make sure it’s Spotify Connect, this connects CCA direct to router only using phone or pad as remote control.

You can use the Cd to DAC too, probably improving that too.

If you find my posts to date work you can improve things further by using battery or Linear Power Supply to either or both the DAC and CCA.

Gary

There is a switch the equalises track volumes, turn it off.

There's a similar setting in the CCA to limit dynamic range*. Disable this too.

*When using the analogue output - it's not visible when using optical out.

Have the recently purchased above system with a cca direct into the amp.
Vinyl and cds sound great, but I'm looking for advice on how to improve the sound from the Chromecast audio ( spotify).

Does your CD player have a digital in, so you can use the same DAC that you already like when it’s playing CDs? Some do, and that would offer certain options.

How much do you want to spend? You have the least spendy options mentioned above.

Next level up would be something like a Bluesound Node 2i at about 400 quid (there’s a recent thread about those).

Beyond that I’d advise keeping the streamer and DAC separate, and making sure the streamer has significant flexibility/future proofing if poss. No point spending big and then finding you can’t do what you want to do in a couple of years’ time. But that’s another ballgame that’s not relevant if you’re not looking at that sort of thing.

advertisement

Back