advertisement

Linn Axis - Leveling

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
First time posting in the audio room in ages, please be gentle!

I've recently re-organised my room and as a result, my Linn Axis is now on an Ikea Kallax unit rather than my Quadraspire rack. As a result, it is no longer level. Is it possible to level a Linn Axis and if so, how?

Lefty

Never owned one, but I suspect not.

Unless your place has seriously out-of-level floors (easily possible in an old place), you'd probably be best to level the Kallax using something like large steel washers, thick card, or something suitable to hand, and then think of something permanent from there (Screwfix have sets of thin wedges meant for levelling cheap kitchen cabinets that could well do the job once you know what you need, just cut carefully to length if they will work, so as not to look an eyesore.)

Or fit adjustable feet to the Kallax.

Never owned one, but I suspect not.

Unless your place has seriously out-of-level floors (easily possible in an old place), you'd probably be best to level the Kallax using something like large steel washers, thick card, or something suitable to hand, and then think of something permanent from there (Screwfix have sets of thin wedges meant for levelling cheap kitchen cabinets that could well do the job once you know what you need, just cut carefully to length if they will work, so as not to look an eyesore.)

Or fit adjustable feet to the Kallax.

Thanks for the info Vinny.

It's not far from level but using it that way just doesn't feel right. I like the idea of fitting feet to the Kallax and levelling it that way. Perhaps there may even be some sonic benefits to doing so?

Lefty

Leave the Kallax as is and level the deck with coins or beermats under the feet. Does Axis not have adjustable feet? I suppose not, the LP12 doesn't.

Kallax walls may be a sandwich of thin board each side and a card matrix between, if so, you might be best looking for some feet that have a broad top plate you do not necessarily have to actually attach to the Kallax, or attack the feet to some thin ply and rest the Kallax on the ply

Unless you're happy with the expense of buying an adjustable platform for your deck, you'll have to use that kind of jerry-rigged solution, I'm afraid.

A little sub-table is what I would suggest. It need not cost much. If you are of a diy bent, you could knock something up yourself, else ebay is full of such things; it might even give you an improvement in SQ.

I would level the unit, most elegant solution.

Na, that's a lie. I wouldn't use my turntable on a heavy Ikea unit. I'd use a proper turntable stand beside it or a shelf above it. Your Axis deserves love, it's a good record player.

I'd use a proper turntable stand beside it or a shelf above it. Your Axis deserves love, it's a good record player.

I agree, but @Lefty already said that his Axis is now on the Ikea Kallax unit rather than the Quadraspire rack where it was previously, so presumably, he has a reason for doing so.

Thanks for the input all!

I agree, but @Lefty already said that his Axis is now on the Ikea Kallax unit rather than the Quadraspire rack where it was previously, so presumably, he has a reason for doing so.

Yes - when my son was born just over 6 years ago, the hifi had to take a back seat and my interest in hifi gradually waned as other interests took hold (photography and guitar). Despite this, I have kept my system and up till a couple of months ago, it was still situated on my Quadraspire rack, but an influx of guitar gear since lockdown has meant that there just wasn't enough space and so The hifi now lives on an Ikea Lack unit which also doubles as storage. Not ideal for sure but there just isn't enough space in my room.

49306139111_daefd20d18_b.jpg

My house hasn’t got a right-angle or level surface in it. The whole thing is just wonky in so many ways (in fairness it was cheap). My solution is to have a little wood-screw screwed through the carpet and underlay into the floor under each leg of the table in order to get it sufficiently level to then use the deck’s own levelling features to really nail it. It is invisible as the carpet pile is deep enough to mask which legs are raised up a bit.

My solution is to have a little wood-screw screwed through the carpet and underlay into the floor under each leg of the table in order to get it sufficiently level

Not sure Kallax would take a single screw head holding much weight - you'd probably need to spread the weight somehow. I think Kallax is that card honeycomb/thin board sandwich?

Not sure Kallax would take a single screw head holding much weight - you'd probably need to spread the weight somehow. I think Kallax is that card honeycomb/thin board sandwich?
Put a piece of 3mm ply between the screw and the Kallax. You won't push a screw head through 3mm ply. That would take my car.

49306139111_daefd20d18_b.jpg

My house hasn’t got a right-angle or level surface in it. The whole thing is just wonky in so many ways (in fairness it was cheap). My solution is to have a little wood-screw screwed through the carpet and underlay into the floor under each leg of the table in order to get it sufficiently level to then use the deck’s own levelling features to really nail it. It is invisible as the carpet pile is deep enough to mask which legs are raised up a bit.

That is reassuring. I've always levelled my Quadraspire in the past but will definitely have to come up with a similar home-brew solution if I am to persist with the Ikea Kallax. Of course I could just get rid of some guitar gear / photography gear and re-instate the Quadraspire but where's the fun in that? :D

Just for nostalgia's sake, here are some pictures of my system / room from before before I started downgrading my TT and cluttering up my room with artefacts from my other hobbies! Sigh.... I miss my hifi days.

My HiFi Jan 2014 by Amar Sood, on Flickr

My System Jun 2015 by Amar Sood, on Flickr

My HiFi Dec 2012 by Amar Sood, on Flickr

My Hifi - Oct 2011 by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Yes that's correct.

advertisement

Back