advertisement

Naim xps

worz

pfm Member
Hi is it worth it thinking of adding one to my cdx ,anybody done it its seems a logical uplift to performance, regards

I can't comment directly because I have a CDX2 but I added a DIY power supply and the improvement was substantial. Better bass extension and control, much wider soundstage extending beyond the speakers and a smoother treble.

I would say it was definitely worthwhile. Unless you particularly want a Naim, I would also consider the Teddy Pardo XPS which I believe is cheaper.

I heard an A/B demo at the Bristol HiFi show when the CDX was first launched. It was a 52SC 4x135 active SBL system so it would show up the differences well but the improvement was impressive. That was the demo that persuaded me to go the Naim route instead of valves

Teddy Pardo does a version, I have his supercap and it out performs the Naim one slightly and is a lot cheaper, worth thinking about

The XPS does improve the CDX in very predictable Naim PSU ways. The sound has more weight and body to it which is exactly what the CDX lacks. If you like the CDX you will almost certainly like what the XPS does.

Value is another matter, I don't know what an XPS costs these days. I can't even remember what I paid for mine! Rem they are now old and full of big capacitors. Mine had been recapped.

Tomtom has one in unserviced £875 2002 vintage 6 month warranty, can supply naim service at £350

Don't buy an unserviced one - the capacitors run at the rated voltage, often higher, and you end with a badly (if at all) regulated supply and rattly cans inside.

Tomtom has one in unserviced £875

Yeah, but TomTom's prices are ridiculous. I think mine was somewhere between £500 and £600 with new caps in it. £900 for one that needs caps? Don't think so. Very poor value for what it does.

Put it this way, that's what it would cost for an entire Rega Saturn-R which I preferred over the CDX/XPS. Over a grand to make a CDX slightly better is nuts.

i have a CDX, i also have an XPS. both "olive".

Does the XPS improve the sound of the CDX. Answer is yes.

Olive XPSs currently go for up to a grand on eBay. XPS2 (black case) are around 1200. XPS-DR are from 1700 upwards, and mostly above 2000.

Is it worth the expense? .....well, that's up to you to decide.

Last edited:
Its logical step really, I really enjoy my cdx so to realise it full potential would be great and source first was also a consideration as I'm happy with my 72 250 upstream

Its logical step really, I really enjoy my cdx so to realize it full potential would be great..

If the CDX works in your system and you enjoy it then I'd say yes, get an XPS. I think it's too expensive for the difference it makes but heck, that's Naim for you. Importantly, there aren't any down sides. It doesn't make the CDX sound slower or worse in any way, it's just an improvement. You'll like it.

Yes it makes a big difference but the Teddy Pardo XPS is even better than a straight XPS. Naim XPS DR sounded marginally better still. And teddy p is cheaper and smaller and doesn’t require servicing. I sold my TP XPS for £600 recently which is so much better value than a serviced Naim.

I have a Teddy Pardo XPS on my NAC272 having previously had an XP5 XS. The TP is very good value and shouldn’t require recap etc. The LED light failed after 6 months but that doesn’t affect the sound.
FWIW I did audition a bare NDX2 against one powered by Naim XPS DR and then a 555 power supply and concluded that the biggest change came from the addition of the XPS. Haven’t heard a CDx so can’t comment on that specifically.

I preferred the old CDPS (modified to work) on my CDX over the olive XPS, warmer presentation to the sound. These you can pickup cheap and with a service from Witch Hat restored to former glory.

Who modified it mukka

Back in the day the naim factory but I guess Witch Hat or similar will be able to mod. The modified versions had a white dot near the burndy output (illustrate it has been modified)to make these compatible with CDX or CDS2, I ran the CDPS with a CDX then CDS2 for many years. Tried the olive XPS but always preferred the CDPS.

The XPS is effectively a dual-polarity Supercap. With a poor choice of capacitors.
The CDPS has two transformers and is effectively a digital power supply and a dual-polarity Hicap in one box. It's no surprise that it should sound better.

advertisement

Back