advertisement

Distract me from Covid pain

Hope you start to feel better soon Del. How about an Audiolab 6000 CDT transport feeding the superb DAC in the 803?
I looked at the 6000. Will it better the CA CXC? Tried my Rotel into the Dac. The Rotel lost some immediacy but gained some smoothness.

I looked at the 6000. Will it better the CA CXC? Tried my Rotel into the Dac. The Rotel lost some immediacy but gained some smoothness.

I have a 6000CDT and it's superb into my Chord DAC64, a real hifi bargain IMO. I note there's one for sale in the classifieds at the moment. I've read that it's sonically superior to the CA CXC and certainly of more solid build quality.

I have a 6000CDT and it's superb into my Chord DAC64, a real hifi bargain IMO. I note there's one for sale in the classifieds at the moment. I've read that it's sonically superior to the CA CXC and certainly of more solid build quality.
Can’t see the one in the classifieds.

RCM is a good idea but I wouldn’t recommend it as a cheer up device when ill. I have one, it is useful but I only really use it on the odd 2nd hand purchase. Never bother with new releases unless they seem noisy.

I would look at a CD transport.

If you can find some more loose change down the back of a sofa, I'd keep an eye open for a Resolution Audio Opus 21. Easy to service/repair, including the transport, which is actually a DVD drive. Buy a spare and tuck it away in a drawer just in case.

I still can't think of any CD player under three grand I'd rather have. You also get an extremely capable DAC (S/PDIF only) as part of the deal. I've seen these as low as £650, which is frankly mental for the sound quality on offer.

well to throw in my tuppence I sold my Rega Apollo in favour of the Rotel 955 (albeit a tweaked version via S-Man on here).
I found it to give a wider soundstage and more defined bass not deeper or heavier but more controlled if that make any sense.
only drawback is rather ruthless of the recording

I had the Apollo. Nice machine in many ways but found it’s soundstage lacked depth. The 965BX is way better in this respect. I’m just trialling it as transport into my Yammy Sabre Dac and it sounds good.Will listen a bit more later when family is engaged in other activities.

I like these suggestions. Is the Project worth getting. I have seen comments about the quality of build.

hi

I hope you’re feeling better soon.

I just recently bought the pro-ject VC-e and it’s better and easier than the nitty gritty I had years ago, comes with everything you need to get started except distilled water and some bottles to spray or drop the liquid on. Not too noisy and seems well enough built.

I bought mine from Juno records, if you ask the on the chat or by email they‘ll send you a code to get it discounted to £299.

cheers

Chris

I’ve looked at the transports. They seem much of a muchness and I’m unsure what they’d give me beyond what is already have. Don’t like the look of the Audiolab either. I don’t think I can better the Dac without spending much more on an external one so decision made really. So my potentials are narrowed down to a sub or RCM. The phono stage I have is good and I’d have to pay much more to better it IMO. I also love the sound of the cart. Or I can just get on with transferring my Classical CD collection into the folders I bought a few weeks ago.

advertisement

Back