advertisement

Tag Mclaren service mission impossible

Chris P

pfm Member
Those who are fans of tag mclaren amps where do you get them for service?

Everyone I ask they say they wouldn’t put their hands in a Tag Mclaren amp.

have a good weekend All.

They never made any of their gear, did they? If so approach the OEM? Contact Tag?

I had the Audiolab MB8300 for a while and had assumed that they would be a nightmare to work on but there is a cutaway view online and they appear not too bad, so if you have the Tag labelled version, it can't be that reason.

Do they/it need a service? If it ain't broke........................

They never made any of their gear, did they? If so approach the OEM? Contact Tag?

I had the Audiolab MB8300 for a while and had assumed that they would be a nightmare to work on but there is a cutaway view online and they appear not too bad, so if you have the Tag labelled version, it can't be that reason.

Do they/it need a service? If it ain't broke........................

Hi Vinny,

what do you mean contact OEM, or Tag?

I have a 7x100 power amp tag mclaren. I just need to replace one the relays in one of the channels. It makes a funny noise sometimes. It should be fairly easy but only an engineer would know for sure.

high street sellers like sevenoaks wouldnt touch it.

Kevin Green is the man. He's in Bicester. He used to be know as "The Audiocellar", but I think that name has gone now.

I found this post "My 100x5r is just back from a service by Kevin, I'm very pleased with it.
He is losing access to that Tesco email address any day now and said I could post the new address here.

[email protected] "
on this old thread https://www.avforums.com/threads/a-...for-repairaing-my-tag-processor.875697/page-2 . The later posts are much more recent than the thread start, and include the information above.

I've sold most of my Tag stuff, but I did use him two or three times, and he was very good. He knows his stuff. The only thing he wouldn't touch was the DVD32R.

Kevin Green is the man. He's in Bicester. He used to be know as "The Audiocellar", but I think that name has gone now.

I found this post "My 100x5r is just back from a service by Kevin, I'm very pleased with it.
He is losing access to that Tesco email address any day now and said I could post the new address here.

[email protected] "
on this old thread https://www.avforums.com/threads/a-...for-repairaing-my-tag-processor.875697/page-2 . The later posts are much more recent than the thread start, and include the information above.

I've sold most of my Tag stuff, but I did use him two or three times, and he was very good. He knows his stuff. The only thing he wouldn't touch was the DVD32R.

Mate you saved the day.
I’m so glad with your response..

Thanks for the time and effort to find this thread in avforums... the guy is located in Oxford, not far from London..

I might have found someone to fix my amp after all..

Cheers..

^^^ Never to miss a chance :)

With luck Mr Green is not answering because he is in the same position as you Jez - snowed under as HiFi gets hammered with people at home due to C19 - it's an ill wind...................................

Hopefully your 9K is looking modest this year.

If the fault is limited to one channel then any service should be limited to that. It is knocking on in age though, a psu recap might be on the cards.

Kevin has been servicing my Tag. equipment for years.He just serviced my PA20R preamp a few weeks ago.He serviced and upgraded my 250x2R monoblocks with extra capacitors a few years ago and raised the sound quality to a wonderful level.His competence and attention to detail is legendary and his charge for service more than reasonable.
From my experience if he suggests a certain course of action I would be slow to ignore his advice as Tag equipment is really beginning to age now.I’d hate to lose any of mine but,no doubt, it depends how expensive the repair and your attachment to your amp.

Last edited:
Having followed this through, I can add a +1 for Kevin. He's helped me in the dim and distant past by bringing some old Audiolab (U.K. made) kit back to life. He knows the Audiolab, (and by association, Tag McLaren) kit inside-out.

Last time we were in contact he was in Bicester. Has he moved to Oxford then?

He was in Bicester about 18 months ago when he serviced my Audiolab 8000a. A few miles down the road from that godawful shopping place.

advertisement

Back