advertisement

Distract me from Covid pain

If remotely serious about vinyl I’d go for the record cleaning machine. Essential things if you buy any second hand vinyl and remarkably effective on new vinyl too. I actually clean everything before its first play now. I’ve had an RCM since the late-90s and I can’t imagine life without it.

I must admit, I have a bit of an obsession about cleaning my records! Once you latch on to the advantages of no static, stylus not getting clogged up, no noise etc., it's hard to resist. I've cleaned all of my LP's and 12"singles and I'm working my way through the thousand odd 7" singles that I have. I think that an RCM can be considered an upgrade to your record player. I re-sleeve all of my records too.

I think that an RCM can be considered an upgrade to your record player.

Agreed, sonically I liken it to a pretty substantial cartridge upgrade, pretty much a doubling of cartridge price in many cases.

I re-sleeve all of my records too.

Since grasping just how obsessive the real top end of the collector market is via Popsike etc I have now moved fully to using Nagaoka inners inside the original sleeve, be they printed or standard plain paper. Back in the 70s-90s I just replaced plain paper sleeves with poly-lined inners which was arguably a mistake as for maximum resale collectors want every single aspect 100% present and correct. I wish I’d at least kept them. These days as a dealer I always keep good condition vintage inner sleeves etc from any condition rejects (I always expect to bin a percentage of any collection that comes in as they grade below what I could advertise here) as they are always useful. I’m slowly restoring my own collection!

Sorry to hear about the test result, well if the worst it gets is being an inconvenience..... Fingers crossed

A record cleaning machine is possibly the best upgrade I ever made bang for buck, I remember being utterly amazed at the difference it made. I've cleaned vinyl for a few friends over the years and they all went out and invested in one afterwards. Mine is a DIY jobbie, a bit of waste pipe, a vacuum motor and a 12rpm motor

I have now moved fully to using Nagaoka inners inside the original sleeve, be they printed or standard plain paper. Back in the 70s-90s I actually replaced plain paper sleeves with poly-lined inners which was arguably a mistake as for maximum resale collectors want every single aspect 100% present and correct. I wish I’d at least kept them. These days as a dealer I always keep good condition vintage inner sleeves etc from any condition rejects (I always expect to bin a percentage of any collection that comes in as they grade below what I could advertise here) as they are always useful. I’m slowly restoring my own collection!

I miust admit, I've not gone that far! I tend to use mo-fi sleeves to replace the paper ones and use the Nagaoka sleeves where the inner sleeve is printed or is in some way special.

yes hyperfi look a good outfit , i saw a marantz 8005 there but it went out of stock . i use a 965bx as a transport into my jolida dac at the moment . if ever the bills stop rolling in i might try and find something better maybe

I like these suggestions. Is the Project worth getting. I have seen comments about the quality of build.

I think it's excellent VFM, maybe not quite as sturdy as my previous Moth RCM but does a good job, the build quality appears to be simple but sufficient.

A left-field cheap suggestion from a retired teacher. Radio. Get a NAD 402 or similar or even an older one for peanuts on Ebay and enjoy a wealth of musical genres with good (but variable) s.q. You will need to be in a good reception area (for inside antenna) or have an external/loft aerial.

Another recommendation for an RCM if you have a fairly large collection (>500 records?); not just because of the advantages but because it'll occupy your time in a beneficial way. Bought sensibly, it wouldn't depreciate much either. Make your own fluid up too, cheaply.

The Sony ES range of CDPs is noted as being both affordable and sounding good (I've heard one in my system). Another that I've had, which is also musically even-handed, is the Meridian (G08, e.g.)

yes hyperfi look a good outfit , i saw a marantz 8005 there but it went out of stock . i use a 965bx as a transport into my jolida dac at the moment . if ever the bills stop rolling in i might try and find something better maybe
Must try the Rotel into the Sabre Dac of my Yammy.

A left-field cheap suggestion from a retired teacher. Radio. Get a NAD 402 or similar or even an older one for peanuts on Ebay and enjoy a wealth of musical genres with good (but variable) s.q. You will need to be in a good reception area (for inside antenna) or have an external/loft aerial.

Another recommendation for an RCM if you have a fairly large collection (>500 records?); not just because of the advantages but because it'll occupy your time in a beneficial way. Bought sensibly, it wouldn't depreciate much either. Make your own fluid up too, cheaply.

The Sony ES range of CDPs is noted as being both affordable and sounding good (I've heard one in my system). Another that I've had, which is also musically even-handed, is the Meridian (G08, e.g.)
The Yammy has FM and DAB radio built in and I use it with an external. Very good performance actually but I miss my vintage CT 1010 so not so left field really. My wife has just received a bonus from work and has added another £100 to my budget, so c. £400 now.

If remotely serious about vinyl I’d go for the record cleaning machine. Essential things if you buy any second hand vinyl and remarkably effective on new vinyl too. I actually clean everything before its first play now. I’ve had an RCM since the late-90s and I can’t imagine life without it.

Agree entirely, and Del I wish you a speedy recovery.

The smaller Project model referenced up-thread is a good choice. Performs just like the larger units but in a smaller chassis so easier to stash away. Within budget and nicely made.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back