advertisement

Rediscovering old albums...

as were Wings allegedly.

I love both the Pixies and Breeders, seen them both live, pixies with Kim on 2 of the 3 occasions.

At different times I’ll prefer to listen to one over the other, they are quite different but that 3-4 album burst from The Pixies is simply one of the best in rock music not just better than the Breeders.
.sjb
I just find I like them less than I did, was a massive fan back in the day.

I wouldn’t put them up there with the pantheon of greats but that’s a different argument.

There was a play through of Last Splash on timstwitterlisteningparty a few months back. https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/pages/replay/feed_81.html Lots of interesting insight from the band. Reminded me what a great album it is. A couple of very Pixies-like tracks, alongside more original material, and also really well produced/recorded with lots of weird stuff going on.
I think I participated in that, it is such a good album.

I think I participated in that, it is such a good album.

Back to the theme of the thread, I realised today that I had missed Pod by The Breeders when I ripped my CDs about 8 years ago. So I hadn't heard it for at least that long. Just ripped and played it. What a great record ! Again, really well recorded, with superb dynamics.

Back to the theme of the thread, I realised today that I had missed Pod by The Breeders when I ripped my CDs about 8 years ago. So I hadn't heard it for at least that long. Just ripped and played it. What a great record ! Again, really well recorded, with superb dynamics.
I think it is quite an odd sounding record in term of SQ, sounds a lot better on my ATCs than it did on SBLs though.

ELO/Jeff Lynne - Alone in The Universe. First play in eons here, now.

Amazing - I have always really liked Jeff's vocals and playing, and also ELO before they became a Lynne project.

Tom Petty's album produced(?) by Jeff - Into The Great Wide Open (if memory serves) - is also a cracking good album, if you like what he and Tom do.

Just listening to a high energy rock'n'roll album, more tuneful than I remember. It has several potential hit singles including one that could even have got to number one. If only they had a manager who knew how to promote them...

71d2EbY4a8L._AC_SL1431_.jpg

I wonder what happened to them.

Today, I haven't rediscovered an album but rediscovered an artist: Anthony Phillips.

I first heard '1984' in the late 80s (courtesy of a cassette from the local library) which is a masterpiece of sneezing CR-78 (the 'In the Air Tonight' and 'Enola Gay' drum machine) and analogue polysynths. I bought the CD when it was reissued in 1990-ish and I got totally obsessed with him, buying a shed-load of his albums on CD - it did mean that I found out '1984' was atypical, he was more about guitar than keyboards but I found his approach to melody appealed to me. And then after a while, went off him almost as quickly only to be found by me this weekend. If you're a fan of that pastoral-era Genesis sound ('Wind and Wuthering' and the solo albums) then you can't go wrong with Ant.

I used to buy all his PP&P as they came out. I imagine a full set of vinyl would be worth something now, but that lot went with the rest :(
They are slowly being re-released on CD etc, so I'm revisiting them as they come in from Amazon etc. Lovely way to spend an afternoon with a beer in the garden

Just spotted The Decline of British Sea Power on my phone, lurking from when I had an iTunes voucher years ago. I’d forgotten what a stunning album it is. It must be ten years if not fifteen since I last played it, and it still sounds as good as I remember. Listening to it now.

So mine is 'Solitude Standing' by Suzanne Vega. Not played this since oooh..., about 1988. Put it on the other day and Ye Gods, it's amazing.
The song writing is stella as is probably to be expected from Ms Vega but the recording quality is out of this world (at least on my pressing). Vocals are close miked and a little dry to give that unique voice an 'in the room' feel and the instruments are beautifully rendered and balanced in the mix. DSOYM? Forget it, this is the one to demonstrate the quality of your HiFi. A little 80s in production maybe but blimey, I can't stop playing it!

Last edited:
I still play the 1st Album of Duane Eddy Have twangy guitar will travel once a month but play Love - Forever Changes once a week.

Regards,

Martin

So mine is 'Solitude Standing' by Suzanne Vega. Not played this since oooh..., about 1988. Put it on the other day and Ye Gods, it's amazing.
The song writing is stella as is probably to be expected from Ms Vega but the recording quality is out of this world (at least on my pressing). Vocals are close miked and a little dry to give that unique voice an 'in the room' feel and the instruments are beautifully rendered and balanced in the mix. DSOYM? Forget it, this the one to demonstrate the quality of your HiFi. A little 80s in production maybe but blimey, I can't stop playing it!
One of the first ever CD’s I purchased when it was released in 1987.

Anyway I’m listening to Lizard by King Crimson, first time for years. The death of Gordon Haskell brought that about. Certainly has some great moments. Loving the flutes and Mellotron and the Jon Anderson guest appearance. This album was released 50 years ago, of its time but still relevant.

I played ELP's "Pictures At An Exhibition" last night quite loud because everyone else was out and my goodness it was great - haven't played it for years and was surprised how well I knew it. I remember the repress being pretty affordable and it was an easy spend of pocket money/paper round wages - think I bought mine from Boots when they used to sell records

I played ELP's "Pictures At An Exhibition" last night quite loud because everyone else was out and my goodness it was great - haven't played it for years and was surprised how well I knew it. I remember the repress being pretty affordable and it was an easy spend of pocket money/paper round wages - think I bought mine from Boots when they used to sell records

Funnily enough I bought ELP Works Volume One at Boots Xmas 1978! Purchased lots of vinyl and CD’s there back in the day. Not that the staff ever had much of a clue about what you were buying. Always preferred the independents.
Also just to add, Tarkus is in my present pile of albums ready to play and not listened to in years!

Jack Jones, Breadwinners,
Ella swings gently with Nelson
Jimmy Smith, The Incredible, hadn't played it since the 70s, amazingly good sound.

Funnily enough I bought ELP Works Volume One at Boots Xmas 1978! Purchased lots of vinyl and CD’s there back in the day. Not that the staff ever had much of a clue about what you were buying. Always preferred the independents.
Also just to add, Tarkus is in my present pile of albums ready to play and not listened to in years!
I bought Sabotage by Black Sabbath at the Boots in Reading when I was a student. Turns out it's a first pressing with textured sleeve and would be worth a fortune.....if it didn't have 'Boots the Chemist' stamped on the front cover!

Zazu? Haven't played that for years. Mañana most def.

Been having a bit of a Dan fest on vinyl past couple of days. Trying to figure out what to keep, what to sell (have a lot of variations)

It's a fun way of passing the time.

advertisement

Back