advertisement

Best (accurate) weather app?

monya

pfm Member
BBC seems hopeless. Met office usually at significant variance with it and neither seem to be very accurate. In this day and age surely something must be able to offer an accurate prediction.
What do you use?

I agree that the BBC are pretty poor these days. I have an app on my android phone which came with it and seems fairly accurate. It also has a cute frog on it so it raises a smile as well as informing you about how wet, dry or windy it’s going to be.

They're all inaccurate as forecasting the weather is difficult in the UK. The best website was the one backed by the Norwegian weather service (name escapes me now), but they got de-funded a few years ago. Some how the Norwegians had a massively more accurate forecast for the UK than anyone else.

tried accuweather, Google, met, BBC all vary, all are inaccurate but that is the nature of forecasting. I choose the one I like the presentation of, so accuweather, but it is just as wrong locally as the BBC, who iirc use Meteo?

You'll never get pinpoint accuracy of a forecast at your precise location unless you pay for it.

I use the IBM app, though it's no better or worse than any of the others.
It does give you rain radar so you can get a pretty good idea of what's actually coming.

What gets me is that the BBC forecast on TV is often quite different to the BBC app forecast..

I’ve found WeatherRadar accurate enough in the midlands. Costs few quid a year and helps me to amuse friends by predicting rain accurately within 90 minutes

Just lucky in the E Midlands then, as the Met office website is incredibly accurate 18-24 hours out, down to the hour, and it will usually get the weather right for 4-5 days out although actual weather events might be 12 hours out.

I live west of Leicester - under 10 miles - and it frequently forecasts substantially different weather for the two places, and is usually correct.

BBC no longer uses the Met. Office, hasn't done for ages.

IMG_1383.JPG

I use Windfinder as you can choose your nearest weather station from it, including the one at the airport about 5 miles away as the plane flies. It can be scarily accurate at times, but it changes quite regularly and you need to keep checking it.

I find the BBC app pretty good - at least for the forward 24 hours, for sunshine and rain. Accurate for deciding whether or not to set off for a walk.

Which app to use depends on the application I suppose. As a yachter, the main apps I use are windguru.cz which also has local weather stations, and the inshore waters forecast of course. The Pro version of windguru is essential if you are racing.

Forget Apps. Open a window and stick your head out. It's the only accurate method.
I looked on my new phone to see if it was raining. I couldn't find any rain on the app.

I looked out the window and it was pouring with rain.

I think it's one of those apps that wants to cheer you up and put you in a good mood.

Then flog you something!

advertisement

Back