advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Around ten days ago John was off to spend two weeks with the production vendor, so I'll be checking for an update at the end of next week or thereabouts.

Where is the production vendor?, not China as he would have to spend two weeks in quarantine when he arrived.

That makes sense... so it’s Pro-Ject

I’ve got a Pro-Ject S2 Ultra Streamer and while it’s good, it could do with some UI updating and SpotifyConnect ability; he mentioned the Coder being talented on FB wherever he has gone to and updating some Streamer as a POC for the Dev/MDAC2 firmware

Is anyone aware of how, or if, John was involved in Pro-Ject's "Stream Box S2" Stream Box S2 ?

We are well aware that John developed the decrapifier and streamer we funded, which he called the "ministreamer", then sold the design to Pro-Ject, which they productised into the Pro-Ject "Stream Box S2 Ultra" Stream Box S2 Ultra But what about this cheaper box, the "Stream Box S2"?

Would it help apply leverage to supply entries for the Wikipedia page for those products in development that are yet to be released?

Nothing provocative just the facts for all to see?

Would it help apply leverage to supply entries for the Wikipedia page for those products in development that are yet to be released?

Nothing provocative just the facts for all to see?

I doubt it. Rather like Trump and COVID the good times are always just around the corner. I’ve mentally written off the money I’ve ‘invested’ and at this stage I’m not even sure I’d want the new DAC if it ever appears.

All I can see when I access the Facebook group is tumbleweed blowing across the screen.

I do not think that John had anything to do with Stream Box S2 it is an earlier product.
Only Stream Box S2 Ultra which like the Link Streamer is very similar to the MiniStreamer which some of us have. I use Ropiee XL on mine because of HQPlayer NAA support as well as Roon.

I think you’re right, it’s the Stream Box S2 Ultra ...which has an element of DETOX on the USB

TBH I’m finding the USB vs Toslink only subtly different. Vocals (sibilance) don’t seem to be less harsh; but soundstage slightly wider with DETOX

Extracts from John's Facebook post yesterday: inching closer....

"A couple of weeks ago I returned from a long stint at the production company......
Touch button light guides are in sample production.
Having to work around the AKM factory fire - initial units will require the Advanced clock/modulator option that bypasses the need for the AKM parts, once AKM is back online we can manufacture the "budget" versions (without advanced clock options).
Bench prototyping the more advanced Detox II circuit took longer then expected due to a really unusual issue - now resolved.
Waiting for an ID designer friend to add some final tweaks to the FDAC/VFET "mechanical" design.
Next week I return to the production company to continue with the designs."

I could be wrong (probably am), but it sounds to me that the 'production company' is also going to sell the new DAC. I've no problem with that, but if a third party _is_ involved it may push the project along a bit faster (I know, I know, we've been saying things like that for years).

advertisement

Back