advertisement

Linn LP12 power supply advice

I have a Lingo 1 and a Norton AirPower and I'm seriously thinking of running them side-by-side; the Lingo for 45s and the Norton for LPs, they’re pin-to-pin compatible, so it’s only the hassle of swapping leads, unless I can make a simple switch-box.
Do you happen to know how the Norton differs to the Geddon? I know a couple of folks prefer it.

The Airpower has two transformer windings (or transformers) to provide the two motor phases, one being lowet voltage than the other. The Geddon uses one with a dropper resistor to lower the voltage for one set of windings.

If you make a Geddon, play around with the phase chance cap value as the motor vibration can be reduced significantky with some tweaking.

Welcome Crimean,

I have a Valhalla and Lingo 1 deck, both with black liner bearing and setup by the same Linn dealer. Not heard a Systemdek but certainly the older Valhalla deck does something the Lingo doesn't and I would agree it's rhythm related. However, I'm really enjoying the Lingo 1 and what it can offer. I tried the Valhalla>Lingo 1 upgrade many years go but did it alongside a Cirkus upgrade and wasn't happy. Now, just doing Lingo alone, I'm really enjoying it. Maybe I'll like the Geddon even more - time will tell.

Good luck with your decks. Sounds like you've had fun exploring and are now enjoying the rewards.

Many 80's pop/rock LPs hurting the ear on LP12 turned to real fun on the Systemdek. Now my LP12 runs with DIYgeddon, OL1, Shure Ultra 500 with Jico HE Stylus. Rhythm & flow is back..

Great post and your English is very good. I totally agree with you.

Pretty much all turntables stamp their own signature on the music. It can be a positive thing but it's never completely neutral. The LP12 adds its mark to the timing which seems to help some music and hurt others and I agree that it lost something as it got 'better'. Early Linns have a sway to their music few other decks match.

..... Shame that I sold my Ittok and paid so much for the stupid Ekos.

Yes! I too 'upgraded' from the Ittok to the Ekos; the biggest disappointment of all time! I spent days shifting stuff around, trying to get the thing to sound good, to no avail. Eventually, it went back and I swapped it for an Aro.

It’s all too easy to go around the houses with the Linn and lose where you are, that’s why I decided to get it back to Linn stock condition, LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Lingo 1/solid base, to see/hear where I am before I change anything else.

:):)
Thanks Charlie for your kind words.
I think its a matter of taste:
Lingo = More detail, a bit faster, a bit more open in the upper mid to highs region, voices sound clearer, tighter bass, takes away some of the Linn upper-bass sound.
Armageddon = More bass and body, better dynamics, voices sound bigger, pronounced rhythm and drive. A bit darker overall. Better compatibility with different pressings/era.

Maybe Lingo is more suited for symphonic music cos better see-through.
On Jazz/Rock/Pop/Funk the Armageddon steals the show.

My feelings about Armageddon: "Can't get rid of that funk" (forget the name of the song and the writer of the lyrics).
The Geddon does sound promising. I plan keep both decks (in different systems) so there doesn't need to be a winner as such.

I mostly listen to pop/rock/soul/funk. Playing Mr Wonder at some point today and the Lingo (along with CB amps / Briks) was certainly very funky, coherent and instruments well synchronised. It can't be far off the Valhalla, whilst cleaning up the sound a lot in the process. But if the Geddon is even funkier then that suits me just fine :)

The ARO and 'Geddon are meant to go together on an LP12. Seriously funktastic, especially with the sub-chassis sorted with a Keel or Greenstreet Klone.

Something fun would be to try the LP12 directly on the mains, à la Thorens TD160.

With all the fancy supplies that have been in and out of fashion for decades I suppose nobody has dared try!

It would be almost impossible, given mains voltage variance and resistor tolerance, to come up with a stable set of R + C to achieve an appropriate voltage at 90 degree phase angle. My TD160 original PSU (240VAC) gave 135+115VAC @ 101 degrees. So ... over voltage, per the motor specs, and at an incorrect phase angle.

Something fun would be to try the LP12 directly on the mains..

I think the original supply is about as close to that as you can get? I like it. Possibly depends on what the mains is like where you live but it sounds good to me.

Do you recall how it compared to the Valhalla back in the day?

I prefer it. My order of preference would be:

Norton
TAPS
Basic PSU
Valhalla

There is something really nice about the very early LP12/Ariston sound. Far from prefect obviously but it has a bounce and sway to the sound that later Linn decks often lack.

Honestly the Platine Verdier shocked me. It was by far the most boring analogue reproduction I've ever heard and I heard a lot of stuff in my life time. Hendrix sounded like a bank employee, totally lifeless & soulless.
That's not good but an all too familiar tale these days.

advertisement

Back