advertisement

Linn Kairn Battery Replacement

gordonscobie

pfm Member
I am getting the message on the display - 'don't panic'. From looking at other threads this seems to be a battery that needs replaced. How much should I be charged for this?

Thanks,

Gordon

Yep, looks like a battery to me. It's a fair bit of work to take it apart, say an hour or two's labour at "dealer rates" (including testing), so could be pushing around a hundred (a fair comparison could be changing the logo on a Naim DAC, which cost me 94 squids a year ago. The major caveat is whether the battery has leaked badly enough to buqqer the PCB, and you won't discover that until you've got the front panel module apart.

You can change it yourself if you feel confident. I did mine a few years ago and I'm sure that @linnfomaniac83 of this parish has done a few in his time. He'll be along later

There are plenty of "How To..." posts on t'internet.

IIRC, the battery is one of these, but @linnfomaniac83 should be able to confirm:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=151206470927

Note that the battery is soldered onto the board (three legs, always solder the two positive leads before the negative, and do not lose the mica insulating washer from the large transistor/regulator (can't remember which it is) that you must unbolt from its heat sinking, when taking the module apart.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thread here might help you. Not a hard thing to do if you're a good, competent solderer. But it goes from being a quick easy job (an hour or so) to a right pain in the whatsit if the battery has already damaged tracks on the circuitboard.

Yep, looks like a battery to me. It's a fair bit of work to take it apart, say an hour or two's labour at "dealer rates" (including testing), so could be pushing around a hundred (a fair comparison could be changing the logo on a Naim DAC, which cost me 94 squids a year ago. The major caveat is whether the battery has leaked badly enough to buqqer the PCB, and you won't discover that until you've got the front panel module apart.

You can change it yourself if you feel confident. I did mine a few years ago and I'm sure that @linnfomaniac83 of this parish has done a few in his time. He'll be along later

There are plenty of "How To..." posts on t'internet.

IIRC, the battery is one of these, but @linnfomaniac83 should be able to confirm:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=151206470927

Note that the battery is soldered onto the board (three legs, always solder the two positive leads before the negative, and do not lose the mica insulating washer from the large transistor/regulator (can't remember which it is) that you must unbolt from its heat sinking, when taking the module apart.
Yes, that’s the right battery. If the OP is near me in the West Midlands (I’m in Shire Oak, right between Walsall and Lichfield), I’m happy to do it whilst he waits (Covid distancing rules adhered to) for the cost of the battery and a couple of pints. If it’s just started showing the “don’t panic” message, I’d say it’s very unlikely that any irreparable damage has taken place.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back