advertisement

BBC R2 - Your Ultimate 90s Album Revealed!

That's a good question. It's a ripped CD - JRiver shows 10 or 11 in DR calculated from the rip rather than taken from a database, which isn't too bad. I wouldn't have bought it in 92 because I didn't own a CD player until 96 so probably later 90s, I guess it's the same. Do you know if the vinyl mix was any different?

I run my rip through the the TT DR Meter and it shows Min - 10 / Max - 12 / Avr - 11

Apparently the remastered version is the 2017's 25th Anniversary.

How to find the correct CD-release with catalogue number 9362-45055-2 :

- First European GEMA/BIEM-version with WME in matrix and French price code 'WE 852' in yellow tray-jewel case and without SID-codes.
- Another yellow tray version from the same time period, no 'WME', but 'MIS10' and 'SRC' in matrix. French price code 'WE 852' without SID-codes
- First WME-repress with WME in matrix and French price code 'WE 852' in standard grey tray-jewel case and without SID-codes.
- Second WME-repress, identical to the first repress, but with French price code 'WE 833' and sticker with reference to the first single releases. No SID-codes on this variant.
- Third WME-repress identical to the first repress, but with French price code 'WE 833' and mould SID-code. This repress is post-1993.
- 1998 & 1999 repress with same matrix structure as on the other WME releases, but without mentioning 'WME'. Matrix ends with '11/98' or '06/99', GEMA/BIEM version, French price code 'WE 833', both SID-codes present.
- 2000 repress with same matrix structure as on the other WME releases, but without mentioning 'WME'. Matrix ends with '05/00', GEMA/BIEM version, French price code 'WE 833', both SID-codes present.
- 2001 repress. GEMA/BIEM version, French price code 'WE 833', both SID-codes present. Matrix number ends with 'V01 MEQ'.
- 2011 reissue with similar matrix as the latter version, issued for Classic Album-series.

https://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/master/57830

Ah yes Leftfield "Leftism" was good. Glad to see another naming Waterboys Room to Roam as well. You seem to have accidentally added The Fall though...

Even though I would rate This Is The Sea as their best album I listen to Room to Roam and Fisherman's Blues a lot more often (probably means I like them better).
I heard them play live in Lisbon in 1989.

I was very disappointed with Dream Harder, just as I was with World Party's albums (stopped paying attention after their 2nd)...

Even though I would rate This Is The Sea as their best album I listen to Room to Roam and Fisherman's Blues a lot more often.
I heard them play live in Lisbon in 1989.

I was very disappointed with Dream Harder, just as I was with World Party's albums (stopped paying attention after their 2nd)...

Yeah like so many groups there seems to be a cut off point where one can say "don't bother with anything after this album". Those 3 are the WB albums I listen to also. I should probably give their earliest stuff "The Waterboys" and "A Pagan Place" another chance...

I used to quite regularly see a another "splinter group" called The Shooting Stars fronted by Anthony Thistlethwaite, all the other group members were famous musicians from other big name groups. It was a purely for fum live act they had got together and never recorded AFAIK. There seems to be no record on the interweb of them ever existing but unless I hallucinated the 4-5 times I saw them live they definitely existed!

Yeah like so many groups there seems to be a cut off point where one can say "don't bother with anything after this album". Those 3 are the WB albums I listen to also. I should probably give their earliest stuff "The Waterboys" and "A Pagan Place" another chance...

I used to quite regularly see a another "splinter group" called The Shooting Stars fronted by Anthony Thistlethwaite, all the other group members were famous musicians from other big name groups. It was a purely for fum live act they had got together and never recorded AFAIK. There seems to be no record on the interweb of them ever existing but unless I hallucinated the 4-5 times I saw them live they definitely existed!

A Pagan Place is quite good too, it was my introduction to The Waterboys, quite powerful for an 11 year old me.

I've never heard of The Shooting Stars, thanks for mentioned them.

Just a few, off the top of my head.

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Teenage Fan Club - Bandwagonesque
60 Foot Dolls - The Big 3
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Yo La Tengo - Painful
Too Much Joy - Cereal Killers
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Uncle Tupelo - Still Feel Gone/March 16-20, 1992
Built To Spill - Perfect from Now On
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

Lots of good stuff from you all, I'd add:

Pixies- trompe le monde ( underated)
The fall- the infotainment scan

Lots of good stuff from you all, I'd add:

Pixies- trompe le monde ( underated)
The fall- the infotainment scan

Love both of them, and if I'm being honest on certain days Trompe Le Monde just edges Doolittle in my opinion as their best

Love both of them, and if I'm being honest on certain days Trompe Le Monde just edges Doolittle in my opinion as their best
Hard one to call, I think it might be more consistent but maybe lacks the highwater marks of Dolittle (tame, dead, no13 baby, gouge away) or surfer Rosa ( bone machine, cactus, river Euphrates, gigantic, brick is red).

I had it on loud with a friend the other day after not listening to it for a year or two and it was marvelous.

Infotainment scan is hilarious and in lost in music has one of my favourite cover versions by any band.

I'd forgotten about them... I have their Electr-O-Pura album but didn't rip it.
They’re still going strong, though the last album of theirs I’ve listened to regularly is Fade, from 2015. Quite good, but more of a grower than a shower, like much of their work.

Bossanova for me. The sequence in the middle (All Over the World, Dig For Fire, Down to the Well, The Happening) is amazing.

I've seen FB live a few times and he does set lists that flow like that too, just bang - bang - bang - bang - going from strength to strength.

I've seen FB live a few times and he does set lists that flow like that too, just bang - bang - bang - bang - going from strength to strength.
Two of the best gigs I ever saw were FB playing solo at the borderline in London not long after trompe le monde. The pixies had either split or were about to and he played a few nights in order to sail to New York on the Queen Mary.

He was startlingly brilliant. A stream of fantastic songs delivered seamlessly from soft and sweet to blood curdling shrieks and yelps. The songs stripped right back to him and his guitar on a tiny basement stage a foot off the ground.

Bossanova for me. The sequence in the middle (All Over the World, Dig For Fire, Down to the Well, The Happening) is amazing.

Agree, the only slight issue is having to turn the vinyl over one track into the sequence, fantastic though

and that’s an art in itself that not all bands get right

Had it on this morning, amazing !!!

Ay Ay Ay aah oh ah ah ah ah !!!!!
Empty house....Ten minute version of Uncertain Smile back to back with Giant ... LOUD...About as good as it gets for me

There’s some great stuff around before and after, but the 80’s and 90’s make up vast majority of my music choices.

advertisement

Back