advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if at some point in the near future, next year some time, it’s going to become clear that some industries, hospitality and events for example, are a dead duck for the foreseeable future, and that investing any state money with the hope of saving the jobs in those industries is throwing good money after bad.

If it turns out that COVID will change the economy fundamentally and structurally, that it’s not just a blip, there is the opportunity for imaginative radical political thinking, the opportunity, the necessity even, for a radical plan for the COVID economy - a plan which is not based on the presumption of growth.
Yep. All them ballet dancers retraining in cyber. We need cyber people more than ballet dancers. Obvs.

Yep. All them ballet dancers retraining in cyber. We need cyber people more than ballet dancers. Obvs.

cybermen-doctor-who-1547223317.jpg

I wonder if at some point in the near future, next year some time, it’s going to become clear that some industries, hospitality and events for example, are a dead duck for the foreseeable future, and that investing any state money with the hope of saving the jobs in those industries is throwing good money after bad.

Fortunately, there will always be work for friends of Government ministers, even, indeed especially, those with no proven ability to do the job they're paid to do.

Yes, some great posts from @Monitor Gold 10 recently, and I really enjoyed his blog post. Reading it reminded me how desperately poor news coverage of the issues working people face is.

Thankyou very much for your kind comments, guys.

The death of a colleague at work (from Covid-19) has meant I need to redouble my efforts to make my workplace safer.

Yesterday, I had to explain to a Route Controller that I departed late because the Steering Wheel was badly worn and needed lots of cleaning to bring up to an acceptable standard.

I followed it up this morning by saying that a Covid-19 Secure Workplace is of greater importance than rushing a bus out on time...

The only people who will be paying any bill is us and several generations on from us! It does not matter whether it's Sunak or a devolved nation, the debt will be paid by the taxpayer! Certain people in here keep saying the 'government should pay for....' and seem to be forgetting that we will all be paying for it, not the government. It's absolutely right that proper support should be given where it's needed and lockdowns be imposed to reduce deaths, but let's stop pretending that we won't be left with a massive bill because of this which is why it's doubly frustrating (health wise and financially) that the government are making such a complete and utter mess of handling the pandemic.

Of course, it’s all of us and future generations who pay! I hate waste and inefficiency but all govts seem particularly good at it. I’d love to know what on earth civil service procurement depts do all day. Govts come and go, they are supposed to be the constant. They should be able to source pretty much anything at best possible terms available in the market. Yet time and time again, the exact opposite is the case.

It would appear to have been a public (press) briefing, from what the report says. There’s certainly no suggestion the news was restricted to public sector, the letter seems to be a summary of the briefing, circulated to members of an association. Utterly unlike the somewhat excitable account you gave upthread.

Not at all. Councils and other public bodies have been given warning to prepare, yet the private sector and businesses who fund them have not. Well, if they are decimated, there simply won’t be any money. Just watching on local news, it’s all kicked off.

Of course, it’s all of us and future generations who pay! I hate waste and inefficiency but all govts seem particularly good at it. I’d love to know what on earth civil service procurement depts do all day. Govts come and go, they are supposed to be the constant. They should be able to source pretty much anything at best possible terms available in the market. Yet time and time again, the exact opposite is the case.
Don’t worry, the poor will pay, as they did for the financial crash. All you have to do is keep voting Tory.

A truly astonishing amount of COVID-19 data nicely summarized visually —

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-global-data/

I haven’t taken a deep dive to see if anything in particular is suspect in the article, so the usual caveats in place.

Joe

Fascinating reading, and it just shows how the virus has impacted us this year. One statement right at the end is really quite disturbing:
Polling in the US at the end of July, when about 1,000 Americans were dying every day from Covid-19, suggested that a majority could yet decline a vaccine when it becomes available.

That's insane.

If it turns out that COVID will change the economy fundamentally and structurally, that it’s not just a blip, there is the opportunity for imaginative radical political thinking, the opportunity, the necessity even, for a radical plan for the COVID economy - a plan which is not based on the presumption of growth.

This is absolutely what people need to get their head around. We are going to have to learn to live with the virus and our society will change because of it. I am all for shoring up the economy while we work out how to live with it (if only our 'progressive' government had yet realised this is what we need to do), but as you rightly say some jobs are never going to be viable again, in the medium term at least. People need to accept that as hard as it may be.

That's insane.

Yes it is and it's disturbing and it probably goes quite deep into the zeitgeist -- just like there are people who believe in flat earth and QAnon. I'm not sure what to say about it myself yet, it's as if the concepts of truth, scientific method have been relegated, demoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back