advertisement

Sunday Fun Favourite Guitarists

fegs

pfm Member
Ok Just for fun, who are your fave guitarists?

Note I said favourite not best!

We're not necessarily looking for technical prowess here, they may well just be cool as ........

Or they may well be your fave because they're masters of their craft?

here's a few of mine in no particular order, and like all good lists this may well be different tomorrow

Thurston Moore - Sonic Youth

Bill Nelson - Be Bop Deluxe

Mick Ronson - Bowie Hunter/Ronson

Joey Santiago - Pixies

Poison Ivy - The Cramps

Johnny Ramone - Ramones

Terry Bickers - House Of Love

Steve Jones - Sex Pistols

Stuart Adamson - Skids , Big Country

Rob Marshall - Exit Calm, Mark Lanegan

Geordie Walker - Killing Joke

John Mc Geoch - Banshees, Magazine, PIL

Bernard Sumner - Joy Division, NO

Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
JJ Cale
Peter Green
Leslie West
Jeff Beck
Johnny Echols
Stephen Stills
Steve Vai
Nick Drake
Randy California
Clarence White
Duane Eddy

I could listen to the above list for hours.

Regards,

Martin

Last edited:
Wes Montgomery, genre-defining work on Riverside etc.
Grant Green, genre defining work on Blue Note etc.
John Mclaughlin, his work with Miles Davis on In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew and A Tribute To Jack Johnson guarantees immortality.
Bill Frizell, another true innovator who is still bringing a wealth of new techniques and textures to a variety of genres.
Jimi Hendrix, the exception to the ‘rock guitar hero’ rule, this one played at a jazz-level and actually had feel, genius level player.
Marc Bolan, just the king of the simple pop-blues riff/hook, even if he found some of the best ones elsewhere, never less than an amazing guitar sound.
Robert Fripp, mainly for his ‘Frippertronics’ drone stuff, but really all of it.
Vini Riley, a total breath of fresh air in the absurdly crowded ‘me too’ world of rock/indie guitar, just totally different, unique and instantly identifiable.
Manuel Göttsching, his work with Ash Ra Tempel and later solo as Ashra was groundbreaking and opened many doors.
Kevin Shields, Loveless brought a whole new way of playing, especially with regards to using the ‘talent handle’ on a Jazzmaster.
Steve Hillage, again brought something genuinely new and something that would be just as at home in the ambient beauty of Rainbow Dome Musik or with The Orb as it was with Gong.
Derek Bailey, I have absolutely no idea WTF he is doing, or why, but that makes his work far more interesting than most.

Again my top 10 has 12 entries. Sue me.

PS Should really have Thurston Moore in there too down to his use of random guitars in thoroughly odd tunings, I love the idea of modifying a guitar just to write one song, such great new sounds.

Paul Leary (Butthole Surfers)

Skip MacDonald aka Little Axe (Dub Syndicate etc.)

Django Reinhardt

Joe Bonamassa

Gary Clark Jnr

Robert Cray

Larry Coryell

John Mclaughlin

Eddie Van Halen

Al Di Meola

All the usual's Hendrix Clapton etc.

Jimi Henfrix
Frank Zappa
Gwenifer Raymond
John Etheridge
Peter Green
John Fahey
John Mclaughlin
Gary Moore

Hans Reichel
Derek Bailey
Fred Frith
Keith Rowe
John Fahey
John Renbourn
Grant Green
Michael Chapman
Jimi Hendrix
Richard Thompson

Hendrix is a given.

Tom Verlaine was the first name that came to mind. His playing fascinates me because it's so distinctive.

Easy to forget that Joni Mitchell is an innovative guitar player, among her superabundance of talents.

I also enjoy Maurice Deebank's (Felt) playing, especially on The Splendour of Fear. He was last seen living in a monastery near Birmingham. Very interesting interview with him here:

https://www.outsideleft.com/main.php?updateID=1528

I'm not such a big fan of guitar in jazz but exceptions include Mclaughlin's playing with Miles Davis, and any number of albums by Ralph Towner.

Yes, I agree about Tom Verlaine having a distinctive sound, you only have to listen to Foxhole! Another great guitarist for sure.

Joni and Tom Verlaine should be on any list for sure.

PS I remember going to a House Of Love gig just to see Felt who were supporting!

Joseph Spence
John Fahey
Charlie Patton
Django Reinhardt
Good list of acoustic players, I would add
Rev Gary Davis
Doc Watson
I love the unhurried swing they all have. Watson in particular is a bit like a great sportsman or woman who always seems to have more time than the other players around them.
In a different tradition
Martin Carthy
Nic Jones
Chris Wood
Martin Simpson, who crosses the English / Americana line.
Richard Thompson is a genius on acoustic and electric.

advertisement

Back