advertisement

Dream deck?

I wouldn't give any of those hideous great lumps of metal decks people are offering up house room. They are just ostentatious figure pieces of bling. As a mechanical engineer they look very unimpressive and pointless to me.

Dropping one large sum on such a deck makes them unobtainable, therefore irrelevant. Upgrading over 10, 20 years to such level is obtainable... It's like buying on credit, it may cost a bit more but you can manage it. Why some people fail to see it and why the Linn/LP12 is an achievable way to get to these crazy heights is beyond me...

Would I buy an £18K LP12 in one go, no, would I buy a 10K deck in one go, no.....
Would I pay 20K over 20+ years to get one...yes..... Or I could make do with a £1K deck, swap it regularly and bitch about all the people who have an £18K Klimax LP12...... I'd rather be an achiever not a dreamer.

You must feel lots calmer now you have that of your chest ,
And relax :D

Hi , as i posted the photo of the kuzma, but i want or would like to know is the readout on the arm piller -002 ?? and what is it for, what does it mean, o_O

Good lord, I’m sure that thing sounds great but if told guests it was a potty would they question it?

3.2.4.01.-stabi-xl2-brass.jpg

Horrendous !!

Not sure of the need for a rebadged Mitutoyo DTI on the side either?

Horrendous !!

I entirely agree, and pointless too. What a waste of materials and money. For pretentious oil tycoons perhaps?
And belts? Seriously?
I tend to think nowadays manufacturers use belts because they are just unable to produce real DD motors - or idler drives perhaps, which also need powerful motors of the kind Garrard and Papst used to manufacture.
Belt drives are cheap to make!

I tend to think nowadays manufacturers use belts because they are just unable to produce real DD motors..

I certainly think was true for some companies. Linn could not have built a direct drive turntable in the seventies and the same was true for pretty much all of the UK turntable manufacturers at the time.

More telling is that they still don't. Could they build one today? Yeah, I think they almost certainly could, as could Rega and a bunch of others. But they don't, and even across the world very few do. In fact it's almost exclusively a Japanese thing.

I tend to think nowadays manufacturers use belts because they are just unable to produce real DD motors - or idler drives perhaps, which also need powerful motors of the kind Garrard and Papst used to manufacture.
Belt drives are cheap to make!

It's really got nothing to do with that. Belt drive turntables, if well designed, produce a lot less vibrations and reduce other design issues compared to DD and ID systems. You can get a good level of performance from DD and ID (Motus, Brinkman and Garrard), but if you are looking at state of the art performance then a proper belt drive system enables the best designs. Idler drive has its place but really no one has superseded the Garrard 301 & 401 design from the 1950s/60s. One or two manufacturers have got almost idler drive "drive" performance from their belt drive designs, it so close their performance is considered practically identical...

Last edited:
You can get a good level of performance from DD and ID but if you are looking at state of the art performance then a proper belt drive system enables the best designs.

I think they all have strengths and weaknesses. I don't think the perfect turntable exists, you just pick the set of compromises you like the best.

Reactions: GT
You are welcome!
But seriously, it's just a discussion. Digressions are just parts of them.

A Rega P9 (mkII), still my dream deck eighteen years on, no other deck beats it for looks imo. Performance wise I suppose a Planar 6 wouldn't be far away now. Understanding Rega's turntable philosophy though means a P10 would form part of my dream system.

Last edited:
A Rega P9 (mkII), still my dream deck eighteen years on, no other deck beats it for looks imo.

Interesting how varied tastes are. I never liked the look of it, or any of the Rega decks with the wood surround. I'm not that wild about the looks of the RP10 frankly. You can sit it and P1 side by side and few people would dream that there was a three grand difference.

advertisement

Back