advertisement

Dream deck?

It was a while ago but I think I did use the original small flat rubber feet that were on one of the sources . Not as cool looking as the gold coloured spikes but to my ears possessed a musical note absent on the spikes which sounded more 'hifi' . All variable re supports etc (it was placed on an origin live tt support). Yes I also had a 'coffin' , I was lucky enough to own a Rock Reference many years ago and was surprised to hear that the Source had a similar stable soundstage with fine depth etc . Good idea re the MCRU p/s.

Thanks for this. I’m trying to put together an ‘interesting’ second system for near field listening. I tried a Rock 2 / Excalibur and liked it a lot... but although it sounded good, it was showing its age and felt fragile in use. Tried a Rega RP10 / Apheta 3 but I found it grey and sterile. Current shootout is between Source and Pink Triangle Anniversary... I only have one arm though (FXR) so quick A/Bs are difficult. Really need to complete the Glasgow thing with one of J7’s arms for The Source, then I could get a good shootout going ;-)

Indeed it does, but it's only capable of a certain level of performance.
Indeed. Its an antiquated design that has been bodged modified over the years. For the price of a new top spec LP12 you can get a better turntable from else where.

Cheers,

DV

3.2.4.01.-stabi-xl2-brass.jpg

Only one?
If you want top notch then yes just one.

I am amazed at how good a top notch record playing system can achieve such outstanding quality from a wiggly line in a piece of plastic. Its something that needs to be experienced in order to appreciate what can be obtained.

The kit I have today is from sources that I'd never heard of (except Meridian) but thanks to pfm I have kit from around the World and a listening experience beyond what I thought was achievable.

Cheers,

DV

Surely the great majority of enthusiasts make incremental upgrades to older decks, thus not shelling out all that at once and saving shiteloads?

Not following your logic here? Upgrading an old LP12 to current top spec means replacing the entire thing one part at a time and is going to save you nothing. Just spread the cost is all.

Not following your logic here? Upgrading an old LP12 to current top spec means replacing the entire thing one part at a time and is going to save you nothing. Just spread the cost is all.
Hmmm, you could be right! I don't see anything wrong with that, though, if you're an enthusiast.

Quite like the idea of the Technics SL-1000R. I have a SL-1200G here - do both decks share the same arm? I’d perhaps have the 1000R of cost was no object. Plus a TD124 in a second vintage system.

Quite like the idea of the Technics SL-1000R. I have a SL-1200G here - do both decks share the same arm? I’d perhaps have the 1000R of cost was no object. Plus a TD124 in a second vintage system.
It comes with a 10” arm
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/exclusive-one-week-technics-new-sl-1000r-direct-drive-turntable

The SL-1000R comes with a new 10" version of the special magnesium arm-tube arm that was part of the limited edition SL-1200GAE. According to Technics, the new arm has more precise bearings, analogous to what Rega does with its upscale arms that outwardly appear similar if not identical to lower cost ones but are not. The supplied arm is in a board that can be swapped out for a few other arms, with Technics supplying the boards, so far for an Ortofon and an SME. In addition there are two other arm boards that mount to the back and side of the plinth for a total of 3 possible simultaneous arms as seen at CES.​

I wouldn't give any of those hideous great lumps of metal decks people are offering up house room. They are just ostentatious figure pieces of bling. As a mechanical engineer they look very unimpressive and pointless to me.

Dropping one large sum on such a deck makes them unobtainable, therefore irrelevant. Upgrading over 10, 20 years to such level is obtainable... It's like buying on credit, it may cost a bit more but you can manage it. Why some people fail to see it and why the Linn/LP12 is an achievable way to get to these crazy heights is beyond me...

Would I buy an £18K LP12 in one go, no, would I buy a 10K deck in one go, no.....
Would I pay 20K over 20+ years to get one...yes..... Or I could make do with a £1K deck, swap it regularly and bitch about all the people who have an £18K Klimax LP12...... I'd rather be an achiever not a dreamer.

Which model of Transrotor is this? Looks like the all aluminum version of the Tourbillion.

How does it sound compared to the usual suspects?

The make is a Nu Magrotor Nu Coil Platalea Minor
I think it sounds great ( But thats subjective ) Depending on the rest of you hifi components

advertisement

Back