advertisement

Stereo audio RCA switch box recommendations

ToTo Man

the band not the dog
I need a switch box that will let me switch between two (minimum) or three (preferable) analogue inputs.

Most of the units I see on eBay are bargain basement prices, - that's not to say they're not transparent but you do have to wonder when they're selling many of these for a tenner!

Also most of the switchers I've seen are AV/Audio switchers and include composite video in/outs which I do not require.

I need a box that either has a rocker switch or push buttons as I can't twiddle a knob. ;)

I checked on the Kramer site to see if they had an RCA version of the VS-4X I bought but they don't seem to, all I can find is this one which I'm not sure if suitable given it also has video in/out.

Other options include:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Switcher-Dual-Channel-Fentronix-Gold-RCA-Phono-Connectors-2-1-1-2-Black/184420291303?hash=item2af04e52e7:g:cL4AAOSwzp1d-MOp

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Switcher-RCA-Phono-Gold-ASPHO1METPRO-Switch-2-Stereo-Device-Black/184486843025?hash=item2af445d291:g:Z3gAAOSwhNVc1KfL

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-switcher-Stereo-ASPHO1MET-RCA-Phono-2-Channel-Plain-robust-Diecast/184486842643?hash=item2af445d113:g:H9UAAOSwT6pVp2wc

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Port-Stereo-Switch-CD-AUX-RCA-Input-Audio-Change-Sound-Music-Selector-Switcher/351457314573?epid=1304306252&hash=item51d47d070d:g:dpEAAOSwUPZbPIpo

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Way-Audio-Input-Selector-Switch-Box-Stereo-RCA-Phono-Switcher-Home-Install/154073853078?hash=item23df846c96:g:Q3MAAOSwqqNfd42a

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Port-AV-Audio-Video-RCA-4-Input-1-Output-Switcher-Switch-Selector-Splitter-Box/184413810984?hash=item2aefeb7128:g:LJUAAOSwG-dfQQ9A

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Signal-Splitter-4CH-Lossless-Stereo-Signal-Selector-Switch-RCA-4in-1out/273788172604?hash=item3fbf0bf93c:g:xT8AAOSwHGFcoiST

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Way-Audio-Switch-Splitter-Mixer-W-4-RCA-L-R-inputs-2-Of-3-5mm-Inputs/352338901084?hash=item520908f85c:g:wEcAAOSwp~VcZJpD

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Switch-Selector-Audio-Video-4-Ports-Rca-Svhs/362643869630?epid=1604779128&hash=item546f424fbe:g:sY0AAOSwyDFbK6Ji

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Input-control-Feed-RCA-Phono-Audio-Switch-3x-2x-RCA-Female-to-2x-RCA-Female/372935323479?hash=item56d4ad6f57:g:SXAAAOSwRKRfc2dj

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Hi-Fi-RCA-CD-Tuner-Combination-Switch-Controller-TC-7/233724487448?hash=item366b10a718:g:E6MAAOSwMqtfbQN~

Some advice would be much appreciated. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Search QED SDR Richard.

There aren't may on ebay at the moment but I have one languishing in a cupboard like the canadian listed one. Just run the pot wide open.

If it will do what you need (even if only until you find the ideal item) let me know.

Jim

I’ve tried the ones by Niles, and they’re poorly made. The Radio Shack units are all over Ebay, but they look even worse than the Niles. Much better are the Sony’s, either the SB-300, which uses push buttons and works well (I own 2) or the SB-500, which are really nice, with very good switches and labeling (2 more!). Note that the Sony’s are, strictly speaking, for tape decks and they have tape outputs as well as line inputs. You can just ignore the tape outs if you don’t need them.

If you're happy with your Kramer, you can use it with RCA to XLR cables. I use Monoprice with my XLR switchbox from Mapletree Audio and find no signal degradation.

I need a switch box that will let me switch between two (minimum) or three (preferable) analogue inputs.

Most of the units I see on eBay are bargain basement prices, - that's not to say they're not transparent but you do have to wonder when they're selling many of these for a tenner!

Also most of the switchers I've seen are AV/Audio switchers and include composite video in/outs which I do not require.

I need a box that either has a rocker switch or push buttons as I can't twiddle a knob. ;)

You might want to look at a passive preamplifier. Just turn the volume knob al the way up if you don't need the volume control.
Here's one example: https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-passive-preamplifier

Nice!

Most of them require 2 hands, one to press and one to hold the small box so they are a pain unless you attach it to a rack etc. The 2nd last is a rotary 3 way knob in a heavy box. I have one [different brand but the same] and it is nicely made.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=rca+switch+box&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1
Yes, most of them are pretty lightweight. I can manage operating the Kramer unit ok by placing the fingers of my right hand on top of the unit to hold it down and then using my thumb to push the buttons in. This wasn't as easy with the previous Nobsound switch I had. I could probably manage an upward-facing rotary switch mounted in a heavy casing but buttons or toggle levers would be preferable.

Search QED SDR Richard.

There aren't may on ebay at the moment but I have one languishing in a cupboard like the canadian listed one. Just run the pot wide open.

If it will do what you need (even if only until you find the ideal item) let me know.

Jim

I appreciate the offer, Jim, but I'd prefer to keep the signal path as simple/pure as possible so not sure I'd want to introduce a pot into the circuit.

I’ve tried the ones by Niles, and they’re poorly made. The Radio Shack units are all over Ebay, but they look even worse than the Niles. Much better are the Sony’s, either the SB-300, which uses push buttons and works well (I own 2) or the SB-500, which are really nice, with very good switches and labeling (2 more!). Note that the Sony’s are, strictly speaking, for tape decks and they have tape outputs as well as line inputs. You can just ignore the tape outs if you don’t need them.

This isn't a bad idea actually, thanks.

If you're happy with your Kramer, you can use it with RCA to XLR cables. I use Monoprice with my XLR switchbox from Mapletree Audio and find no signal degradation.

I hadn't thought of this, thanks.

You might want to look at a passive preamplifier. Just turn the volume knob al the way up if you don't need the volume control.
Here's one example: https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-passive-preamplifier

I'd rather avoid a unit with a volume control, plus the Tisbury has forward-pointing rotary switches which I find too difficult to operate, - I'd need one with push buttons or toggles.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
TBH I'm quite happy with ones I buy from CPC/Farnell. I've tended to prefer the rotary switches, but I think they also sell interlinked button ones.

The rotary switches do tend to wear out eventually. But the switchboxes are so cheap I either buy another one or replace the switch. They lack 'street cred' of course, but I use them with my old Armstrong 626 to feed in external sources like a DAC, CD player, etc, and add an internal attenuator to suit the 626. Do much the same with other kit.

You've set me wondering if anyone has even used the same approach as inside the 626. This uses switching diodes. An external box could do this using a battery and can 'cross fade' the inputs to avoid any clicks. :)

What you want is the Pioneer U-24. You can switch between several power amps/loudspeakers, tape decks and sources at will. All push-buttons, passive switching and you won't need to hold onto it when pushing its buttons.

827054-7194f215-pioneer-u24-series-20-program-selector.jpg

Using a Emotiva Stealth SP-1 - four inputs switched via button or remote control -relay switched -but except for the fourth input which is a MM/MC phono stage -entirely passive. I like this well enough that I'd buy another one if I ever come across it ( Discontinued product).

I just snagged myself an SB-300 and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. When it arrives, are there any particular tests I can run on it to assess its transparency, apart from relying on the two antennae that stick out from my either side of my head? I have access to a signal generator and can route the SB-300's output into my computer via an ADC to compare what comes out vs what goes in, but what tests should I be running?

SB-300 results as follows:

Noise Floor without SB-300 in chain (Amp Line Out to ADC Line In): -91.82dB

Noise Floor With SB-300 in chain:
Line In to Line Out = -91.82dB
Tape1 In to Line Out = -91.08dB
Tape2 In to Line Out = -91.05dB
Tape3 In to Line Out = -90.52dB

Frequency response without SB-300 in chain (Amp Line Out to ADC Line In):
1kHz = 0dB, 20Hz = -0.01dB, 20kHz = -0.2dB

Frequency response with SB-300 in chain:
Line In & Line Out: 1kHz = -0.02dB, 20Hz = +0.02dB, 20kHz = -0.32dB

When I add a tape deck to one of the SB-300's Record Outputs and put the deck into REC/PAUSE mode, the strength of the signal from SB-300's Line In to Line Out decreases as follows:
1kHz = -0.51dB, 20Hz = -0.55dB, 20kHz = -1.1dB

Can someone explain to me what's going on here with the HF roll-off? Is this happening because the SB-300 is being asked to send the signal to more than one output? I'd have expected the drop to be the same across all frequencies?

Also, some of the switches need cleaning as the sound on the right channel drops out intermittently. Am I ok to use DeOxit D5 on these or would Fader F5 be safer?

Sony-SB-300.54-1024x576.jpg

Sony-SB-301-1024x576.jpg

After reading some comments on AK and TH forums it appears the 'open' nature of the switches in the SB-300 leaves them prone to oxidation and in need of periodic cleaning. I don't think this is going to sit well with my OCD desire for a consistently transparent signal path so I think I'm going to look elsewhere...

The Luxman AS-4III or AS-44 could be connected in reverse, couldn't it? i.e. Amp Line Out -> AS-4III Output, then each AS-4III Input going to the Line Input of each of my tape decks? I realise this won't allow me to do tape-to-tape dubbing but I'd doubt I'd ever need this facility, I'd just want to record whatever's coming out my amp's line out onto one deck at a time.

I checked on the Kramer site to see if they had an RCA version of the VS-4X I bought but they don't seem to, all I can find is this one which I'm not sure if suitable given it also has video in/out.[quote}

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Switcher-RCA-Phono-Gold-ASPHO1METPRO-Switch-2-Stereo-Device-Black/184486843025?hash=item2af445d291:g:Z3gAAOSwhNVc1KfL
I use the above had it 18 months works well inexpensive sourcing parts would cost nearly as much,

After reading some comments on AK and TH forums it appears the 'open' nature of the switches in the SB-300 leaves them prone to oxidation and in need of periodic cleaning. I don't think this is going to sit well with my OCD desire for a consistently transparent signal path...
This will be true for any device that is not hermetically sealed and/or gold-plated.

Paging @Arkless Electronics, I need some technical advice! I bought this RCA switcher and did some tests on it today.

I established a 'control' test by connecting the line output from my amp to the input of my ADC with a 2m RCA lead (two 1m lengths joined together) and recorded silence to obtain a noise floor measurement. The peak noise floor in the loudest of the two channels (left) was -90.7dB and the noise floor difference between left and right channels was approx 0.3dB. The frequency spectrum was fairly similar between the two channels.

Control: Spectrum of left & right channels after boosting output levels by +50dB:
50691700381_8585d29c03_o.png
50690953013_4bfe70a28c_o.png

I repeated the test, this time with the switch box between the two 1m RCA leads. The peak noise floor on the 'active' switch output was about -89.6dB and the noise floor difference between left and right channels was approx 1.2dB.

Active switch output: Spectrum of left & right channels after boosting output levels by +50dB:
50690952933_3c721c7ce6_o.png
50691700271_81710e3a1f_o.png

I then flicked the switch to the other (unterminated) output, but recorded from the existing output. The peak noise floor in the loudest of the two channels (left) increased to -69dB, and the noise floor difference between the two channels was approx 22.5dB.

Inactive switch output: Spectrum of left & right channels after boosting output levels by +50dB:
50691700196_9d66563b85_o.png
50691700156_ee13acb509_o.png

I was very surprised to see the noise floor increase, if anything I was expecting it to drop slightly since the connection between amp and ADC had been broken.

I'm wondering if there's a problem with the switch or if my ADC simply does not like being unloaded? I don't have another ADC I can use for this test, unless I simply run the switch's output directly into the line input of my Mac's onboard soundcard.

Are there any other layman tests I can run to see if this switch is of good enough fidelity to use as a source input and record output switch? (I'm planning on using one of these boxes to switch between playback of two tape decks and another to switch the record output from my amp between two tape decks).

I don't even know if the increased noise floor caused by the broken circuit would ever be an issue in practice, given that I would only ever be listening to or recording to the tape deck the switch is engaged with?

EDIT - I'm pretty sure my ADC is the culprit. I connected the line outputs of my two tape decks, in turn, directly to the ADC's input, without the switch box, and the noise floor is 15dB higher when the tape decks are OFF compared to when they're powered ON. Looks like I need to buy myself a new ADC. My dad is also looking for an ADC to record guitar, so maybe I can kill two birds with the one stone and buy one we can both share. I was thinking about getting him a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. @Tony L, what model of Focusrite I/O interface do you have, and have you ever used it to digitise vinyl, even if only as an experiment? I'm curious what sort of quality I can expect from it.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back