advertisement

Saturday Fun Favourite Drummers

Ginger Baker's had a few mentions; I only saw him play live once, and that was at the Field Festival, Victoria Park, in 2013 and he was bloody awsome!

Joe Morello
Bill Ward
Keith Moon
Joey Baron
Ian Paice
Elvin Jones
Steve Noble
Jack DeJohnette
Brian Spring
John Marshall

Ian paice mid seventies

His playing on Fireball and In Rock is the work of a fabulous drummer having the time of his life. ^
Jon Hiseman - Technically dazzling, but also sooo musical.
Michael Giles - Because ... well, Schizoid Man!
Mark Guiliana - Avishai Cohen Trio. Just listen.
Bill Bruford - Intelligent AND a drummer!
Jack DeJohnette - Because he understands how to integrate peerless drumming into an ensemble without overwhelming it.
ML

Have you heard Mark Guiliana's project with Brad Mehldau - Mehliana? Wherein the acoustic chamber jazz/bluegrass piano maestro unleashes his inner Wakeman on a plethora of vintage analogue synths? It's wild.

Not in any order:

Art Blakey, because Art Blakey.
Paul Motain, just amazingly fluent and innovative from telepathy with the Bill Evans trio right through to lots of great ECM stuff this century.
Elvin Jones, no weak links in Coltrane’s core Impulse band, an amazing unit all round, and that always takes a truly great drummer.
Rashied Ali, another Coltrane drummer, Interstellar Space is just astonishing to the point I have no idea what he is even doing.
Jaki Liebezeit, the greatest rock drummer, and by such a margin.
Bruce Mitchell (Durutti Column), effortlessly fluid and knows how to play quietly, I’ve seen him play his kit just with his hands.
Steve Jansen (Japan), pushed pop/rock drumming somewhere new and interesting, he really found his own thing.
Sly Dunbar, what can one say, just 100% groove, none better.
Steve Gadd, can’t not list him really, there is nowhere he can’t put a beat.
The Roland TR-808, it has played on so many great records it can’t not be in the list!

Billy Cobham

The drummer whose name I cannot recall, but played with Pharoah Sanders 3 years ago showed just how far ahead modern jazz drummers just are and that includs Elvin Jones who I love and admire in equal measure.

Robert Gotobed (because with each new Wire album, his kit got simpler)
Klaus Schulze (because he is as busy AF)
Florian Pilkington-Miksa (because he has the best name)
Phil Collins (because 'Nuclear Burn' and 'Intruder')
Simon King (because blanga - Google it)
Animal
Doktor Avalanche

Tony Williams, obvs. Revolutionary.

Struggling a bit on the rock and pop front. Jaki Liebezeit comes to mind, as does New Orders Stephen Morris.

Jon Christensen is another fine jazz drummer and contributed to countless ECM albums.

advertisement

Back