advertisement

Wharfdale Elysian 2?

Never tried 507s.

The 507s are just slightly bigger 505s. That's exactly what they look and sound like. Matter of taste as always, there is no right in Hi-Fi. Personally, I've always found Wharfdales disappointing. Loved the old Diamonds though.

Love Skodas. Deceptively great cars and drive as well as their more expensive peers.

My daughter has just bought one of the few low millage Seat Toledos in the world, a rebadged skoda Rapid, and I don't understand why it wasn't more popular. It's a lot of car for not a lot of money. My wife and I have Seat Leon FRs and again, I don't know why you'd buy a Golf? I've had a Golf, good car, but the Leons are just as good and cost a lot less. Basically, you pay a lot for a slightly better cabin in the Golf.

I agree they do look amazing but I doubt that my wife would agree. My first pair of speakers were Wharfedale Linton but I have gone through a few different brands before settling on ProAc & Spendor - with no intentions of changing in the future.

Regarding the point about Audiofile snobbery, many years ago I was told by the Quad rep that Wharfedale was the group's main seller in the far east & many of their higher end products were sold under that brand - so do not judge on the brand name!

The 507s are just slightly bigger 505s. That's exactly what they look and sound like. Matter of taste as always, there is no right in Hi-Fi. Personally, I've always found Wharfdales disappointing. Loved the old Diamonds though.

My daughter has just bought one of the few low millage Seat Toledos in the world, a rebadged skoda Rapid, and I don't understand why it wasn't more popular. It's a lot of car for not a lot of money. My wife and I have Seat Leon FRs and again, I don't know why you'd buy a Golf? I've had a Golf, good car, but the Leons are just as good and cost a lot less. Basically, you pay a lot for a slightly better cabin in the Golf.
That’s the thing about speakers.They can sound different in different locations and with different equipment. If something doesn’t sound right I never assume it’s just the product. My previous speakers yielded extra goodies with my change of amp.

Nail on head Arkless.
Everyone has their own ideas about what looks good.
The same goes for the different taste in how speakers should sound.
There are so many variables like room, system, music, level preferences etc.

It gets a bit shallow when people just rubbish a particular speaker because of their own subjectivism.

It gets a bit shallow when people just rubbish a particular speaker because of their own subjectivism.

Why else would one rubbish a speaker? Or anything else for that matter?

Someone could buy a little plastic suitcase turntable and sing it's praises. Should we refrain from saying 'actually, it isn't a very good record player' because to say so is no more than our subjective opinion? If we can't express our subjective opinions on the kit we've owned, what is the point of being here at all?

I once owned a pair of (X) speakers. Maybe I liked them, maybe I didn't. I'd be happy to tel you but I might offend someone so I best not.

A lot of modern speakers are so clean, refined and controlled

Conversely I find a lot of modern speakers too opaque for my taste.
If a speaker is too clean and controlled it is crying out for a more ballsy amp. Then it will shine.

To be fair so did Skoda

Terrible comparison compounded by the posts that followed. Skoda required VW to get them where they are today didn’t they? Did you own a Skoda in the 80’s? Nice was it?

I think you should substitute 'weren't' for 'aren't'. They did go through a rough patch in their history, and obviously have moved far from their roots, but 'aren't' isn't really appropriate. Unless of course you inhabit the aforementioned "Audiophile snobbery" territory.

No, I don’t think so. A rough patch? That’s very generous of you considering the timescales involved and the quantity or rather the lack of quantity of excellent products, that’s how they should be judged isn’t it?

If I had that much cash to blow on a pair of speakers I would compile a list to audition based on reviews & recommendations, availability & potential dealer service & looks & build quality. The last thing I would consider is the badge on the front, & yes, I drive a Skoda.
TS

Im afraid we all practice brand snobbery from your website choices to petrol, bread, coffee and literally countless other things, are you suggesting you don’t succumb to branding?

My wife and daughter in law both drive Skoda Octavia, I purchased the daughter in laws car for her. Not too sure what all this Skoda nonsense is....

Brands fight hard for their reputations and consistency of products, a house sound, build, features etc. I prefer to buy products from companies that produce excellent products consistently if at all possible.

Some brands earn their reputations, Wharfdale have worked extremely hard at being mediocre and pulled it off very successfully.

Wharfdales Diamond 220 model just got recommended on ASR as well;)

By the way, I'm not saying these Wharfdale speakers are rubbish, not at all. They could be fantastic for all I know. All I'm saying is that I'm not going to start wetting myself over them because the internet says I should.

Nail on head Arkless.
Everyone has their own ideas about what looks good.
The same goes for the different taste in how speakers should sound.
There are so many variables like room, system, music, level preferences etc.

They look like some sort of internal fitments in a tasteless oligarchs yacht..
Just need some gold braids with gold anchors hanging off them! A whiff of Ssangyong's stylist being involved:eek:

advertisement

Back