advertisement

BBC R2 - Your Ultimate 90s Album Revealed!

tuga

Legal Alien
I quite enjoyed reading the other thread about the '80s, it helped me discover interesting new music.
This one lists the best '90s albums according to Radio 2 listeners' preference.

1. Radiohead – ‘OK Computer’
2. Oasis – ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory?’
3. Nirvana – ‘Nevermind’
4. Oasis – ‘Definitely Maybe’
5. R.E.M. – ‘Automatic For The People’
6. Pulp – ‘Different Class’
7. Alanis Morissette - ‘Jagged Little Pill’
8. The Verve - ‘Urban Hymns’
9. Primal Scream - ‘Screamadelica'
10. U2 - Achtung Baby

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2zWhKY16hwnYGS3gDbpXKvX/your-ultimate-90s-album-revealed

For me, ‘Automatic For The People’, ‘OK Computer’ and ‘Nevermind’ are definitely top 10 material.

For my '90s favourites I'd probably choose the following in alphabetical order:

Ben Harper - 'Fight For Your Mind'
Grant Lee Buffalo - 'Mighty Joe Moon'
Mazzy Star - 'So Tonight That I Might See'
Morphine - 'Yes'
Nick Cave - 'The Boatman's Call'
Nirvana - 'Nevermind'
R.E.M. - 'Automatic For The People'
Radiohead - 'OK Computer'
Red House Painters - 'I (Roller-Coaster)'
Tom Waits - 'Bone Machine'

Runners up:

Pearl Jam - 'Ten'
Spain - 'She Haunts My Dreams'
The Sundays - 'Reading, Writing and Arithmetic'
Tindersitcks - 'II'
U2 - 'Achtung Baby'

Not in any order:

The Orb - Journey Beyond The Ultraworld
Sigur Ros - Ágætis Byrjun
Boo Radleys - Giant Steps
Cocteau Twins - Heaven Or Las Vegas
The Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy - Hypocrisy Is The Greatest Luxury
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
L.S.G. - Rendezvous In Outer Space
Air - Moon Safari
Stereolab - Dots And Loops
Eels - Beautiful Freak

I could obviously ram a load of amazing ECM jazz in there, but given these things are intended as rock/pop market lists I’ll stick to those broad genres.

PS Yes, my top 10 has 12 albums in it. Sue me. I’ll likely add more. MBV Loveless being an obvious omission.

PPS Damn it, I’ve just realised I missed the opportunity of having no less than eight volumes of Pete Namlook & Klaus Schulze’s Dark Side Of The Moog!

Don’t get me started :D

out at the moment, I’ll return later with my list

great thread BTW

The stab at the 90s is better than the 80s effort!

I prefer The Bends to OK Computer, agree with Beautiful Freak

Garbage
Wild Wood or Stanley Road
Everything Must Go

There is Rage Against the Machine's self-titled and then everything else. The 90's was the best decade for music and there are so many great albums that I could list, but Rage is easily my number 1.

I hate Oasis! I did like 5-8 and bought them, which was rare for me then - too busy stuck in a lab with no daylight for hours on end.

I think I’ve got all but 2, 4, 8 & 10. The problem with many of them is they aren’t even the best album by that band, e.g. I’d take Kid A, Amnesiac or In Rainbows over OK Computer, any IRS REM over Automatic (though it is still a great album, as is OK), Bleach over Nevermind, His ‘n’ Hers over Different Class, Boy over any other U2 album, which kind of makes Screamadelica the winner there by default!

I think I’ve got all but 2, 4, 8 & 10. The problem with many of them is they aren’t even the best album by that band, e.g. I’d take Kid A, Amnesiac or In Rainbows over OK Computer, any IRS REM over Automatic (though it is still a great album), Bleach over Nevermind, His ‘n’ Hers over Different Class, Boy over any other U2 album, which kind of makes Screamadelica the winner there by default!

I like AftP a lot, played it for days at the time. It's a really complete album but couldn't have existed without Document. Nirvana has to be MTV unplugged. Common People and Disco 200 are greats.

Do you like Brad Mehldau? The first Art of the Trio albums were terrific, a highly unfashionable thing at the time...

Do you like Brad Meldau? The first Art of the Trio albums were terrific, a highly unfashionable thing at the time...

I’ve not got anything, but I’m aware of his existence - I remember hearing a Radiohead piece which was very good. Just found a gig on YouTube...

I would not be able to consider any list of 1990s LPs that omits Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space by Spiritualized as complete, let alone definitive. Mezzanine by Massive Attack would have to feature too. So in no particular order, and valid only today for when I change my mind tomorrow:

Cocteau Twins: Heaven Or Las Vegas
Spiritualized: Ladies and Gentlemen We are Floating in Space
The Heads: Relaxing With...
Portishead: Dummy
Massive Attack: Mezzanine
The Orb: The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
Mogwai: Young Team
Slint: Spiderland
Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros: Global a Go-Go
My Bloody Valentine: Loveless or Primal Scream: Screamadelica (Both should really be in)

Despite every one of my teenage years falling in the 1960s I still rate the 1990s as the best decade for music.

In alphabetical order by artist:

Ash - 1977
Blur - Parklife
Elastica - Elastica
Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci - Barafundle
Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
Mogwai - Come On Die Young
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman’s Call
Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals
Pixies - Bossanova
P J Harvey - Rid Of Me
Portishead - Dummy
Pulp - His ‘N’ Hers
Suede - Dog Man Star
Super Furry Animals - Radiator
Supergrass - I Should Coco
The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land
The Verve - Urban Hymns
Tom Waits - Mule Variations

and many, many more!

I think I’ve got all but 2, 4, 8 & 10. The problem with many of them is they aren’t even the best album by that band, e.g. I’d take Kid A, Amnesiac or In Rainbows over OK Computer, any IRS REM over Automatic (though it is still a great album, as is OK), Bleach over Nevermind, His ‘n’ Hers over Different Class, Boy over any other U2 album, which kind of makes Screamadelica the winner there by default!

Said it before but I consider Bleach one of the worst albums ever made!!

Got 8 off the list but where's -

Cobalt Blue - Michael Brook
Dog Man Star - Suede
Fuzzy - Grant Lee Buffalo
The Real Ramona - Throwing Muses
Anutha Zone - Dr John
Sex And Death or Obey The Time - The Durutti Column
Dead Cities or Lifeforms - Future Sound Of London
Bothy Culture - Martyn Bennett
Civilization Phaze III - Frank Zappa
Dubnobasswithmyheadman - Underworld
Strange Cargo III - William Orbit
Leftism - Leftfield
Ragged Glory or Weld - Neil Young
Aubrey Mixes : The Ultraworld Excursions - The Orb
Chill Out or The White Room - The KLF
Maya or Last Train To Lhasa or Big Men Cry or The Magical Sounds of... - Banco da Gaia
A Place Among The Stones - Davey Spillane
Blood - This Mortal Coil Mule Variations
The Mule Variations -Tom Waits
The Sky Moves Sideways - Porcupine Tree
Into The Labyrinth - Dead Can Dance

...hey the 90's were no' that bad eh? :)

Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Tricky - Maxinquaye
Orbital - Snivelisation
Boards of Canada - Music has the Rirht to Children
David Byrne - The Forest
Leftfield - Leftism
LFO - Advance
Orb - Orbivilion
Portishead - Dummy

Clost to being included
Cypress Hill - Insane in the Brain
Guru - Jazzamatzz vol.1

play by Moby, Debut by Bjork, Dummy by Portishead and Massive Attack are missing but theni It is BBC2 afterall

In Rainbows is 2007 but very good.
I don't particulalrly like electronic Radiohead, or anyone else electronic for that matter.

I agree with the IRS vs Warner in regard to R.E.M.
They gave a warning shot that they'd go commercial with Pop Song '89, the first track on their first Warner album...
I do like Green a lot though.

Haven't listened to some of the stuff on your list, will have a listen.

Achtung Baby impressed me when it came out. My wife still likes listening to it, me not so much.

advertisement

Back